TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Loose Forward

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

the greatest of them all...............................................Posted Image

He was a very good player, along with contemporaries Derek Turner and Johnny Whiteley. (GB were spoiled for choice) Whether they're the type of 13's required today is another matter.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#42 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

I don't know who that is... :unsure:

He probably doesn't know who you are either. <_<

I've posted this try on here before, time and again I watch it and still wonder how Norton caught that pass off Mick Crane. :o

Belting sidestep past the full back and still got an offload to James Leuluai whilst have his head removed...

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#43 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

He probably doesn't know who you are either. <_<

Quite. I admit it, I don't know every player who's ever played to whatever level since 1895 by face alone.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#44 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Question - could Liam Farrell be the next superstar loose forward, I like this lad, 22 and has bags of potential.
Great player, good pace, great hands and scores tries...and yeah, creates them.

Thoughts ....

No, he is more of a running second row forward. I think he'll be the best at that role in SL in the coming years, but he's not a loose in my opinion.

#45 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Steve Ward, will captain England without doubt and one of the young stars of our game, defo a loose forward and has it all, better than sinfield was at the same age and the next best thing since Hanley at loose IMO of course !

That's a bold endorsement - if he's better than Sculthorpe and Farrell, he'll be a bit special.

#46 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

This thread does show a certain 'rigidity' in the way rugby league fans think about certain positions. I'd argue there is no perfect blueprint for a loose-forward: it depends what the team needs.

O'Loughlin is perfect for Wigan because he gets through a massive defensive stint, can put a nice pass out and can kick the ball if required.

Harrison or Cooper are perfect for Warrington, because they equally get through a tonne of defensive work and share the running load of the front row. That means we're often physically stronger over many teams in the last 25 minutes or so (see Hull last week).

So why do Wigan need a ball-handler there while Warrington do? I'd argue because Warrington's best player with ball-in-hand is Monaghan, while for Wigan their hooker (McIlorum) is more of a scrapper, defensive player - which is equally useful in the way Wigan line up. So while Warrington's handling core is a positions 1-6-7-9, Wigan's is 1-6-7-13. Leeds, with such a well-oiled trio of Sinfield-McGuire-Burrow, can arguably do without a fourth ball-handler and use the speed and stepping ability of Watkins and Hardaker.

Most top sides in RL have paid much more attention to delivering a quality spine to their side than they have to worrying whether player x is 'a proper scrum half' or whether player y is a 'proper loose forward'. I think this is what McNamara is trying to do too, although I'm not sure the players at his disposal have the necessary matching skill sets. For example, I've tended to argue in the past that if you want to pick Sinfield, he's not going to be nearly as effective if you don't throw in Burrow and McGuire too.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#47 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

This thread does show a certain 'rigidity' in the way rugby league fans think about certain positions. I'd argue there is no perfect blueprint for a loose-forward: it depends what the team needs.

O'Loughlin is perfect for Wigan because he gets through a massive defensive stint, can put a nice pass out and can kick the ball if required.

Harrison or Cooper are perfect for Warrington, because they equally get through a tonne of defensive work and share the running load of the front row. That means we're often physically stronger over many teams in the last 25 minutes or so (see Hull last week).

So why do Wigan need a ball-handler there while Warrington do? I'd argue because Warrington's best player with ball-in-hand is Monaghan, while for Wigan their hooker (McIlorum) is more of a scrapper, defensive player - which is equally useful in the way Wigan line up. So while Warrington's handling core is a positions 1-6-7-9, Wigan's is 1-6-7-13. Leeds, with such a well-oiled trio of Sinfield-McGuire-Burrow, can arguably do without a fourth ball-handler and use the speed and stepping ability of Watkins and Hardaker.

Most top sides in RL have paid much more attention to delivering a quality spine to their side than they have to worrying whether player x is 'a proper scrum half' or whether player y is a 'proper loose forward'. I think this is what McNamara is trying to do too, although I'm not sure the players at his disposal have the necessary matching skill sets. For example, I've tended to argue in the past that if you want to pick Sinfield, he's not going to be nearly as effective if you don't throw in Burrow and McGuire too.

I agree, particularly on the Warrington point - a Lockers style player would be a luxury in a team that has playmakers at 1, 6, 7 and 9. The right balance as far as I can see is four creative ball handlers and distributors. Although I think that you might be wrong on Leeds - they used to have a fourth in Buderus and plugged the gap last season with Lunt. This season I see Ward fulfilling the fourth role, given McShane is more of a McIllorum type player than a Monaghan.

#48 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

I agree, particularly on the Warrington point - a Lockers style player would be a luxury in a team that has playmakers at 1, 6, 7 and 9. The right balance as far as I can see is four creative ball handlers and distributors. Although I think that you might be wrong on Leeds - they used to have a fourth in Buderus and plugged the gap last season with Lunt. This season I see Ward fulfilling the fourth role, given McShane is more of a McIllorum type player than a Monaghan.

Yep decent point that. PMJWires believes we're desperately lacking a ball-playing loose-forward. I'd say that very few clubs can select three from the quality of Westwood-Waterhouse-Grix-McCarthy-Harrison-Cooper-Currie-Laithwaite in the back row!

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#49 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Yep decent point that. PMJWires believes we're desperately lacking a ball-playing loose-forward. I'd say that very few clubs can select three from the quality of Westwood-Waterhouse-Grix-McCarthy-Harrison-Cooper-Currie-Laithwaite in the back row!

That's formidable depth despite the fact I'm not entirely sold that McCarthy and Cooper aren't average players in an otherwise very good team and squad. I see them as not dissimilar to the likes of Jonkers and Stankevitch in the old Saints teams, Tuson and Prescott at Wigan, and Kirke and Moore at Leeds.

#50 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

For me ellery Hanley was the quintessential loose forward, he had pace, strength, skill and a great rugby brain, always in the right place at the right time. That said like all positions on the rugby field there isn't a one size fits all, andy Farrell and SBW spring to mind who are 6'4-6'5 in height. A loose forward IMO was always a more bulkier and physical stand off, who operated primarily out wide, while the halves where in the middle at first and second receiver.

#51 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

For me ellery Hanley was the quintessential loose forward, he had pace, strength, skill and a great rugby brain, always in the right place at the right time. That said like all positions on the rugby field there isn't a one size fits all, andy Farrell and SBW spring to mind who are 6'4-6'5 in height. A loose forward IMO was always a more bulkier and physical stand off, who operated primarily out wide, while the halves where in the middle at first and second receiver.

Hanley played on the wing at centre and at 6 for Bradford - he moved to 13 for Wigan. I saw Hanley play for Bradford in 1984 v Fev at Odsal - Bradford won 27-10 - Hanley scored 17 points - in other words he was the difference. He could play anywhere. He'd still be great today IMO.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#52 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Quite. Westerman still has potential.

Perhaps it's a criticism of the general british mentality rather than of Joe personally the way we regard players of his age & experience as 'youngsters'.

Wish I was 23 again :(
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#53 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Hanley played on the wing at centre and at 6 for Bradford - he moved to 13 for Wigan. I saw Hanley play for Bradford in 1984 v Fev at Odsal - Bradford won 27-10 - Hanley scored 17 points - in other words he was the difference. He could play anywhere. He'd still be great today IMO.

It was Graham Lowe that moved Hanley to 13 though he had started at 6 at Wigan, it was a master stroke, it was by far his best position and for me he was the finest loose I have ever seen.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#54 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

Posted Image

That is all.....

I had the honour of training with Knocker at Hull FC, he would be out running up and down the terracing at the Boulevard half an hour before anyone else had left the changing rooms on training nights & would finish his warm up with a veriety of sprints.

I still marvel at how he would get the ball away under extreme pressure and drink so many beers and still walk.

I

#55 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

He was a very good player, along with contemporaries Derek Turner and Johnny Whiteley. (GB were spoiled for choice) Whether they're the type of 13's required today is another matter.

In this era one of the roles of the loose was to protect his scrum-half and these guys did it very well :)

Attached Files

Edited by Marauder, 03 March 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#56 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

I thought Wayne Pierce and Ray Price were great loose forwards from the Invincibles era.

Nz's Mark Graham was also a good un

#57 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

I thought Wayne Pierce and Ray Price were great loose forwards from the Invincibles era.

Nz's Mark Graham was also a good un

I was a big fan of Ray Price, the guy was a machine.

#58 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Many years ago I saw a very young Malcolm Reilly come out of nowhere and mastermind a Cas victory over Australia. Even though he was an unknown at that point, it was obvious a star was born in the loose forward position.

#59 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

Didnt Steve Norton show Mal Reilly the ropes at Cas ?

#60 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Didnt Steve Norton show Mal Reilly the ropes at Cas ?

Probably the other way round

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users