Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Greatest Centres

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

Dean Booth. Stuart Smith

Stuart Smith was a Second Row player , cannot remember him playing centre ?. Still a an underrated great player though.

#22 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

correct pudsey about The Peach, 3 great calls from coventry hawk.George Clark was a brilliant centre, Jordan was a full kiwi international centre who we never got the best out of due to injury and a terrible winter when he had to go home in march and half the games had been postponed.Parrish was much in the mould of Richard Knight a tall centre about 6ft 4in and like Knighty could kick goals from anywhere.George Clark wins it for me, this kid Keinhorst is special though...

True , Keinhurst is a special player

#23 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

True , Keinhurst is a special player

Sorry Keinhorst

#24 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Smithy started at centre and was pretty average. Moved into the forwards and became a revelation. Nicknamed the Mad Farmer he would mix it with anyone.

George Clark is an interesting one. I know he played at parkside but did he come to the Greyhound stadium or was he with Hull then?
I remember him playing for Hull and he was a class act.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#25 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

George came into the team in the latter days of Parkside then i beleive transfered to Hull but did come to us again at the Greyhound Stadium under New Hunslet.Stuart Smith blimey he could start a ruck in an empty room, always looking for a scrap with anyone who was near.For sheer try scoring ability though Wayne McHugh takes some beating even though most were scored in championship 1.
Posted Image

#26 billybison

billybison
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

Did Mick Chamberlain play at the greyhound stadium? if so he could be in the running.

#27 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

George came into the team in the latter days of Parkside then i beleive transfered to Hull but did come to us again at the Greyhound Stadium under New Hunslet.Stuart Smith blimey he could start a ruck in an empty room, always looking for a scrap with anyone who was near.For sheer try scoring ability though Wayne McHugh takes some beating even though most were scored in championship 1.

George started with Hunslet then New Hunslet before transferring to Hull.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#28 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

Centres for mw would be Parrish and Kingston. I know kingston played on the wing for us but he was a centre I believe. Clark and McHugh were also good players as were Irwin and Pechey.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#29 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

I thought the Kemble v. Baker decision was hard but this is proving impossible with so many names in the frame.

Can we just say who our pairing are and I'll do a count up on Wednesday. Mine are...

Tate & Irwin

#30 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

its certainly a tough call, baring in mind Keinhorst as only played 3 games and aint technically our player im going for Tate and McHugh, another late call Richard Goddard and didnt Des Meaa play centre/ second row - now he was a big unit.
Posted Image

#31 rodleydragons

rodleydragons
  • Coach
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

peter roe and sean irwin after thinking for a while

#32 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

McHugh & Irwin
Hawkeye
Posted Image

#33 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Coult & Irwin

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#34 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

H Moore & I higgins

#35 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

Tate & McHugh

#36 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

I thought the Kemble v. Baker decision was hard but this is proving impossible with so many names in the frame.

Can we just say who our pairing are and I'll do a count up on Wednesday. Mine are...

Tate & Irwin

It would be interesting Phil when this team is put together , to compare it to the Hunslet team that Harry Jepson picked for the Rugby League World mag , i've got a copy of this somewhere in the loft...........

#37 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Dig it out. It will be a few weeks before we complete our team but will be interesting to match up.

We can then have a good old debate on which one would win.

#38 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hunslets best ever centre "PENNY HILL" by a mile ...... thats what a good mate of mine said :lol:

#39 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hunslets best ever centre "PENNY HILL" by a mile ...... thats what a good mate of mine said :lol:

Mark by any chance
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#40 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Mark by any chance

What gave it away.......Ha Ha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users