TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Langtree Park

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Why does it lack atmosphere.Knowsley Road used to be buzzing but the new ground comes over bad on TV to the extent that you can even hear the players talking to each other.

#2 Come on you Saints

Come on you Saints
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

I look forward to away games so much more than home games these days, the whole match day experience at LP is just depressing.

There are quite a few reasons, the main one being having the main atmospheric terrace behind the sticks (west stand) The atmsophere in the West tonight was abysmal once again last night, for the majority anyway. The openness of the stands and the fact that the main atmospheric terrace is behind the sticks means that the atmosphere just doesn't reach the players on the pitch, and gets lost out the back of the terrace.

Another problem for me, is that their are two many barriers, or not enough space between the barriers. There are probably more people who would like to come up to the back are help create an atmosphere, but if you are getting into the ground say 10 mins before kick off, then it's not worth fighting your way through the narrow spaces to get into an even narrower space. I was on the back row of the west as usual tonight, and there is only enough room for 2 rows of people to locate behind that top barrier. As a result, you end up with several pockets of singers all over the west, who all start songs off at different times. If the main terrace was along the side as it was at KR, then this wouldn't be the case.

Edited by Come on you Saints, 02 March 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#3 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

i went to last nights game with my brother in law who is a stains fan, i thought that the ground still looks unfinished and there is a distinct lack of supporter involvement, at knowsley road there were flags hung up in the stands and the atmosphere was quite intimidating to the visiting team, langtree park has all the atmosphere of a library...............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#4 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

As an outsider to this, I would point out thart Langtree Park is new and, like Wigan, once Central Parlk was demollished and they moved to the JJB. It takes time for fans to find their own feet at the new stadium
It's also the case that if your playing entertaining Rugby League and winning every week there is more of a crowd buzz than when results are not going your way..

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#5 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Over 12,000 there,corporate/dining well attended - still,you have to complain about something.

#6 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

As an outsider to this, I would point out thart Langtree Park is new and, like Wigan, once Central Parlk was demollished and they moved to the JJB. It takes time for fans to find their own feet at the new stadium
It's also the case that if your playing entertaining Rugby League and winning every week there is more of a crowd buzz than when results are not going your way..

A fair point, Langtree Park needs time to bed in as a rugby league venue. Although a quick improvement to the acoustics could be made by closing the gaps to the roof with cladding. The designers were trying to be clever making the roof look like a halo, but it just looks unfinished and lets any sound out of the stadium.

#7 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Over 12,000 there,corporate/dining well attended - still,you have to complain about something.

That what we saints fans are good at, best in the league I'd say

#8 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

A fair point, Langtree Park needs time to bed in as a rugby league venue. Although a quick improvement to the acoustics could be made by closing the gaps to the roof with cladding. The designers were trying to be clever making the roof look like a halo, but it just looks unfinished and lets any sound out of the stadium.

I thought it was unfinished. Was it actually designed to look like that?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#9 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

I thought it was unfinished. Was it actually designed to look like that?

I've heard various sources either way, and I think Saints do have a revised plan to putting cladding in, but as far as I can recall the initial design is as it is built currently.

#10 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

I think it is because we expect/hope Saints would get 15k+ for fixtures like this in their new ground. Perhaps the traffic problems contributed? I think they need to enclose the stands to stop the sound/atmosphere leaking

#11 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

I've heard various sources either way, and I think Saints do have a revised plan to putting cladding in, but as far as I can recall the initial design is as it is built currently.

If that's the case then the design flaw is so obvious I'm surprised nobody said 'hang on a minute' when they saw the plans.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#12 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

If that's the case then the design flaw is so obvious I'm surprised nobody said 'hang on a minute' when they saw the plans.

Style over substance, the novelty of having a unique 'halo' roof design for a team called Saints. I'd argue its clearly unique for a reason.

The alternative explanation I've been given is that Saints always intended to fill in the cladding, but only had the budget at the time for what was built.

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

All of the designs showed in advance including the 3d flythrough thingy showed a fully enclosed stadium.

McManus has since stated that the plan was always to have it left open. I think he was trying to save face over a poor decision made to trim costs.

The stadium looks unfinished.

#14 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Ive not been to Langtree park and before I criticise I applaud mr McManus for building a badly needed new stadium,and Ive only seen images of the place,but I dont think t looks as good as it did on the promotional video's bfore it was built.

Edited by fieldofclothofgold, 03 March 2013 - 03:15 PM.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#15 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Crowds seem good compared to Knowsley Road so cant be so bad. Prob seems worse cos cameras arent on top of hardcore any more and Saints keep being poop on home tv games.

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

They still sing the two songs they sang at Knowsley Road though,the one that goes foooorrrrrrrwwwaaaarddddd and the other one that goes boooooooooooooooo!
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#17 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

I look forward to away games so much more than home games these days, the whole match day experience at LP is just depressing.

There are quite a few reasons, the main one being having the main atmospheric terrace behind the sticks (west stand) The atmsophere in the West tonight was abysmal once again last night, for the majority anyway. The openness of the stands and the fact that the main atmospheric terrace is behind the sticks means that the atmosphere just doesn't reach the players on the pitch, and gets lost out the back of the terrace.

Another problem for me, is that their are two many barriers, or not enough space between the barriers. There are probably more people who would like to come up to the back are help create an atmosphere, but if you are getting into the ground say 10 mins before kick off, then it's not worth fighting your way through the narrow spaces to get into an even narrower space. I was on the back row of the west as usual tonight, and there is only enough room for 2 rows of people to locate behind that top barrier. As a result, you end up with several pockets of singers all over the west, who all start songs off at different times. If the main terrace was along the side as it was at KR, then this wouldn't be the case.

I've just been working on a project in Durham and the site manager was in charge of the Langtree Park development, he told me the openness at the back of the stands is supposed to represent the Halo.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#18 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

The design of Langtree Park doesn't seem to have impeded the ability of the Saints fans to boo their team at great volume, or to leave early at pace.

#19 Barry Badrinath

Barry Badrinath
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Crowds seem good compared to Knowsley Road so cant be so bad. Prob seems worse cos cameras arent on top of hardcore any more and Saints keep being poop on home tv games.

Thats a good point that, saints seem to have done the opposite of what warrington did.

Wire's main(vocal)home support was the somewhat legendary (i've typed that and i'm guessing people will think i'm Wendell, i'm really not honestly) Fletcher End. The club changed that at the HJ by getting most of the standing support spread out along the south stand.

At saints they've taken all the noisy buggers that used to be along the touchline and put them at the end of the ground. It's a different lay out totally.

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

I've just been working on a project in Durham and the site manager was in charge of the Langtree Park development, he told me the openness at the back of the stands is supposed to represent the Halo.

That's a great notion. Unfortunately it has to be explained before people realise it. So it doesn't work.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users