Photo
- - - - -

Female announcers on Channel Nine - What about SKY ?

Angela Powers time ?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

Nine have a 31 year old Female Journalist doing Brisbane Broncos games
http://www.dailytele...r-1226589103815

Given that the broad consensus is that SKY's Super League Coverage needs freshening up, What would be wrong with letting Angela Powers do the Eddie Hemmings role?.

After all this would reach out to the majority of the UK population and as for the argument that you have to have played the game to broadcast about it there are numerous examples in all sports within the UK of former players who might have been good at playing their sport but certainly did not understand it very well or if they did are unable to explain themselves and the sport properly to the viewer.
So would this be a positve step or cause a storm in a D-cup ?

Discuss

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

does angela want to do it?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

So would this be a positve step or cause a storm in a D-cup ?

Discuss

I was actually going to formulate a reasonable answer, until I read this tired, lazy, somewhat derogatory cliche. Now I can't be ars*d.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#4 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

It's a good move, RL is seen as a family game in the Uk isn't it? Makes sense to have a female commentator.

I was actually going to formulate a reasonable answer, until I read this tired, lazy, somewhat derogatory cliche. Now I can't be ars*d.

Precious much?

#5 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

Just to be clear, we are already quite used to female hosts in this country. Clare Balding having been the main presenter for live Challenge Cup and international matches until switching networks, while Tanya Arnold has presented some live matches and currently hosts the Super League Show. On BBC Radio York Sharon Shortle has provided the commentary on York City Knight matches. And doesn't Natalie Quirk take on the hosting duties for Premier Sports when Dave Woods is away? She definitely host their 7s coverage last year.

But well done Australia.

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

I remember the ripple of news when MoTD started to have a female commentator, I don't see the fuss myself. I'm all for it, but not for tokenist reasons.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

It's a good move, RL is seen as a family game in the Uk isn't it? Makes sense to have a female commentator.

She's not commentating though. She's presenting, like Clare Balding has done for many years on the BBC. Ground breaking stuff for Australia though.

#8 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,024 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Good God know. Angela Powers is awful. How someone with so much clear bias towards Warrington is allowed to be a neutral journalist on a TV station is beyond me.

Clare Baldwin did a good job on BBC. I'd have her on Sky. But Powers is one of many of the Sky team that needs to go.
Posted Image

#9 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

It has long been said that we need to change our image from the gruff, male, Northern stereotype. I have myself advocated more female commentators and even suggested we look to the USA for new blood, as it would give us a new accent, new spin and perhaps some new ideas.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

It has long been said that we need to change our image from the gruff, male, Northern stereotype. I have myself advocated more female commentators and even suggested we look to the USA for new blood, as it would give us a new accent, new spin and perhaps some new ideas.

It'll be interesting when interviewing Steve Menzies... "This isn't your first time playing rugby is it?" "Have you been playing long?"

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

No thanks, the sexist outpourings when Powers did those pieces on SL stadia were embarrassing enough for exposing the antiquated attitudes still present in rugby league.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#12 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Good God know. Angela Powers is awful. How someone with so much clear bias towards Warrington is allowed to be a neutral journalist on a TV station is beyond me.

Clare Baldwin did a good job on BBC. I'd have her on Sky. But Powers is one of many of the Sky team that needs to go.

You been drinking Wellsy?
Posted Image

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,375 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

some new ideas.

Something different?

A chip over the top perhaps?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,024 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

You been drinking Wellsy?

Not today!

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC, 03 March 2013 - 03:10 PM.

Posted Image

#15 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Something different?

A chip over the top perhaps?

It might even be better than one on the shoulder? ;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,375 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

No thanks, the sexist outpourings when Powers did those pieces on SL stadia were embarrassing enough for exposing the antiquated attitudes still present in rugby league.

Let's not be too unfair on rugby league here - wherever women have the audacity to present anything related to sport so you will find comments from the knuckle draggers.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,555 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

It'll be interesting when interviewing Steve Menzies... "This isn't your first time playing rugby is it?" "Have you been playing long?"

A real precedent for this, albeit not in RL. :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#18 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

She would be going some to rival Phil "Come on Wigan!" Clarke.

#19 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Not Angela Powers.. no.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#20 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Well yes but she did give Warrington an A because they had great baby changing facilities...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users