Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Council Tax And Voting

Who should be doing it

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 689 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

Sorry if this offends but it really gets my back up,I pay both council tax and business rates but live and work in an authority were voters would vote for Osama Bin Laden if he had the red rosette of labour on,now i'm not a tory by a means but i have the opinion that if you dont contribute to the upkeep of the local authority expenditure ie;dont pay any council tax you should not be able to vote,its very similar to letting prisoners vote,they contribute shag all to the the community but hardship.
Got a feeling I'm going to get some nasty reactions but hopefully positive ones a well

#2 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

Yeah, because the only valuable contribution one can make to a country, a society and a community is financial, and EVERYONE who doens't pay council tax is obviously lazy, feckless and doesn't deserve to have a say on the issues that effect them.

:rolleyes:

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:14 AM

In time,even MM comes round to our way of thinking.
;) ;) :)

In this world, there are basically only two types of bloke (women are a different case) .... one with his hand in his pocket; one with his hand held out.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

This is pandering to the current tory propaganda of no job = fecless and lazy. In this way of thinking it doesn't matter if you have worked hard all your life and made a contribution to society, and possibly not just financially. If anyone hasn't noticed we are still in recession and that usually means places close and people lose their jobs. But hey, what do you know, they can transform from being a 'useful member of society' one week, but the week after they get choked out of work they are suddenly lazy ####. Nice society we live in isn't it?
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

This is pandering to the current tory propaganda of no job = fecless and lazy. In this way of thinking it doesn't matter if you have worked hard all your life and made a contribution to society, and possibly not just financially.

You are right about the current situation putting workers out of a job. However, we have carried far too many perpetual passengers for far too long.

The answer lies in making people work for their dole. Unfortunately, a UK judge vetoed that a couple of weeks ago in the case of a girl who objected to being found work experience in (I think) a shop.

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

The answer lies in making people work for their dole. Unfortunately, a UK judge vetoed that a couple of weeks ago in the case of a girl who objected to being found work experience in (I think) a shop.

...and the only ones to benefit form that are large companies who gain a free army of shelf stackers. And in this particular case the girl was already doing voluntary work in the field for which she had invested 3 years hard work at university. How was making her give up her work in a museum to stack shelves doing anything positive?

It now costs £9k pa to go to university. This sends out the message invest £27k in your future to become free labour for poundland. It makes you proud doesn't it?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

You are right about the current situation putting workers out of a job. However, we have carried far too many perpetual passengers for far too long.

You think wrong.
In a landmark case the government was found not to be able to force an unemployed librarian from doing unpaid voluntary work in a library where she hoped to gain a full time paid job and make her work unpaid in Poundland.
Poundland's Chairman, Andrew Higginson, is also a director at BSKYB, Woolworths (South Africa), McCurrach UK and the RFU
I for one object in the most profound way to my taxes being used to subsidise commercial enterprises like poundland who will more than likely use the slave free labour of the unemployed to cut back on paid employees hours.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#8 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Nice society we live in isn't it?

It is selfish, narrow-minded, 'I'm all right Jack' people like the original poster that make me despair of this country and what it is becoming.

I'm a postgrad student so I don't pay council tax. I have, however, in my 32 years, paid Income Tax, Council Tax and National Insurance for 14 years of my 32 year existence. I have volunteered, raised money for charity, cared for sick friends and been the secretary of a charity that made lives better in my local community. I am a kind, caring friend, sister and lover. But hey, all of that pales into insignificance because Hull City Council aren't currently getting £56 a month from me. Christ, I'm worthless as a human, I may as well shoot myself now.

But you're right, because I am trying to better myself, in order to get a decent job and therefore pay more tax into the system, I don't deserve to vote on issues that affect me and my future. Hey, why stop there? What about the council not emptying my bins? Why not say that I don't deserve to be able to see a GP when I'm ill? In fact, I hereby command you all to leave me in the road if I get run over. Let me die, it's kinder to society and I don't deserve treatment if I'm not currently contributing.

FFS.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Everyone over 16 should have the vote. That is all.

#10 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Everyone over 16 should have the vote. That is all.

I think that eighteen is right.

i also think that prisoners should have a vote.

I don't agree with foreign nationals or expatriate Britons (apart from those serving in the armed forces and equivalent) having a vote

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Unfortunately, a UK judge vetoed that a couple of weeks ago in the case of a girl who objected to being found work experience in (I think) a shop.

Did the big words in the article confuse you?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

i have the opinion that if you dont contribute to the upkeep of the local authority expenditure ie;dont pay any council tax you should not be able to vote,

Disabled people often pay a % of council tax rather than the full amount.

It's going to make counting votes even harder if we have to include 1/2, 1/4 and 3/4 votes alongside those of people who contribute properly for the full vote.
- Severus, July 2012

#13 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

I don't agree with foreign nationals or expatriate Britons (apart from those serving in the armed forces and equivalent) having a vote

Agree with your first line. Undecided over your second. Don't understand your third.

I was an expat Briton for 14 years. In all that time, I never had the right to vote because I had no UK address and therefore, afaik, couldn't get my name on the electoral register. HMRC, however, did have my overseas address and were adamant that I had to pay UK tax every year. They were even kind enough (sic) to send me a form to fill in so I could calculate the figure for them. No taxation without representation? Sounds good. I wish it applied. Those expat Britons who do maintain a UK address must, presumably, pay Council tax and so should be entitled to a vote.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#14 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

In my department I have colleagues from New Zealand, Australia, Canada, France, Russia, Iran, Iraq, Poland, Ireland and Brazil. All pay NI and council tax. Why shouldn't they get a vote?
Fides invicta triumphat

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

In my department I have colleagues from New Zealand, Australia, Canada, France, Russia, Iran, Iraq, Poland, Ireland and Brazil. All pay NI and council tax. Why shouldn't they get a vote?

Foreign nationals can't vote in UK parliamentary elections.

I think they can vote in council and European elections.
- Severus, July 2012

#16 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Foreign nationals can't vote in UK parliamentary elections.

I think they can vote in council and European elections.

I know (although those from commonwealth countries can).
Fides invicta triumphat

#17 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

The government can force people to do jobs or lose benefits. The recent case was more about procedure than any actual fundamental issue (in law) with work schemes.

The case found that they could do the scheme, provided it went through parliament correctly. They found nothing wrong with the essence of the scheme (i.e. not slavery, not against human rights.). They ruled that the minister had gone beyond his authority, if he went to parliament and it went through there, then it would be OK and lawful.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Within the Eu, everyone can vote somewhere. When i lived in france i could vote in their euro elections and local elections but not in their parliamentary ones. I could vote in uk parliamentary ekections and that was not related to council tax

Edited by JohnM, 03 March 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#19 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Irish people resident in theUK have always had the vote.

Did the big words in the article confuse you?

A well known Ray Prosser quote:
'That's the trouble with you university types; you're always [showing off by] using long words like ... oh, I don't know ... marmalade and corrugated iron'
:D

#20 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Sorry if this offends but it really gets my back up,I pay both council tax and business rates but live and work in an authority were voters would vote for Osama Bin Laden if he had the red rosette of labour on,now i'm not a tory by a means but i have the opinion that if you dont contribute to the upkeep of the local authority expenditure ie;dont pay any council tax you should not be able to vote,its very similar to letting prisoners vote,they contribute shag all to the the community but hardship.
Got a feeling I'm going to get some nasty reactions but hopefully positive ones a well

This is, of course, a load of old ######.

Worryingly though, there is a significant swivel eyed faction in the Tory party that agrees with it. It is one reason, I believe, that they are happy to allow the tax threshold to be lifted.

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users