Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

St Helens.....still the entertainers?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Discuss.

#2 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Are Cas still classy?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#3 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,656 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

Are Cas still classy?

I thought it was "mucky" tbh.

(Well, that's what my dad used to call them, probably when Reilly was at his pomp).

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Long gone are the days of jamie lyon, sculthorpe, pryce, long, martyn, albert, sullivan, cunnigham etc players who could turn a game on it's head with one piece of magic.

#5 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

I thought it was "mucky" tbh.

(Well, that's what my dad used to call them, probably when Reilly was at his pomp).

No, I think it was just because Cas was mucky.

I remember them being called 'High Speed Cas' when everybody was being converted to North Sea gas.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#6 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,656 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Long gone are the days of jamie lyon, sculthorpe, pryce, long, martyn, albert, sullivan, cunnigham etc players who could turn a game on it's head with one piece of magic.

Very good.

I wonder if it's more a reflection of how the game's "developed" rather than what's happened at one particular club. These days, a repeat set or two or three successive penalties and a team is expected to at least come near scoring if not, be expected to score. That means possession is king and individual players don't like taking risks if it means there's a chance of coughing up the ball cheaply. How often do you see the "little chip over the top" these days?, hardly ever, and that was a great way of breaking down defences by putting a team in doubt.

Edited by Old Frightful, 03 March 2013 - 11:47 AM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#7 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Discuss.

False advertising since 2006 - doesn't stop Wiggy Hemmings still mentioning it though. They have been playing dull one man rugby with a distinct lack of pace and invention for a long time now.

On the other hand, their slow decline into mediocrity has certainly been entertaining for this Wigan fan.

Edited by giwildgo, 03 March 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#8 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

I think Anderson tempered Saint's attacking flair in favour of a more determined defence, their attacking prowess hasn't returned since that time.

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

The slowing ruck might have something to do with it too.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

The retirement of all their best players may have something to do with it.

#11 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Yep that lot would walk into any side today,but the dross they've signed since eg; Perry,Hohihia,Lafranchi has'nt helped,every teams limited number of overseas players have to be of the highest order 2 of these 3 are a joke

#12 The Bobster

The Bobster
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

I've watched Saints for many years and in all those years I have to say the current brand of Rugby we are playing is the most, unentertaining I have ever watched. On Friday evening (and most of the games this season, except the Bradford match which I missed) I was so bored with what Saints were doing with the ball I was happy when the opposition got hold of the ball so I could watch some flowing Rugby.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users