• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#1 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

http://www.loverugby...ck-veivers.html
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Did I imagine a quote from Koukash saying this wouldn't happen? :unsure: :huh:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

After the London game he said no one was safe in their jobs.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

If you didn't, then I must have imagined a quote saying nobody is safe!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#5 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

If he did I imagine that he did so before they got spanked at home by a team who were winless, Koukash seems to want success and Vevers has only delivered inconsistent displays last year and very poor ones so far this
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Oh no yeh not the quote from yesterday. But when he took over.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Can't help but feel sorry for veivers, what more do people expect from the hand he was dealt at the beginning of the season. I really hope that this means a big name manager and big name signings will follow to get the crowds in at Salford.

#8 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Can't help but feel sorry for veivers, what more do people expect from the hand he was dealt at the beginning of the season. I really hope that this means a big name manager and big name signings will follow to get the crowds in at Salford.

He might be able to entice a big name coach (who wouldn't be able to do a much better job than Veivers has done given the circumstances), but I think someone needs to sit Dr. Koukash down and explain that signing a load of big name players is going to be a lot harder than he thinks. The good doctor appears to want instant success. I'm sure the likes of Simon Moran and Ken Davy would be able to explain to him that it's pretty much impossible in RL.

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,663 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

The revolution will start when the first players of the quality Salford require first pull on a red jersey.

No coach could turn the current squad into a competitive side and I think Veivers can feel very badly done to. Of course, if a top coach is about to be announced then maybe I'll be proved wrong and top players will start to be attracted.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#10 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

I agree with all the above, he was wonky last year, and lost most of the half-decent players during the off season, through no fault of his.
A big name coach could possibly bring a few name players with him, as long as Koukash doesn't try poaching coaches already in post. I'm not sure what he expects other clubs to do, with the name players, release them as a charity job?
I think Australians wishing to try Europe would be a good bet, maybe someone in the Aussie National Squad?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#11 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

I might as well plonk this here now...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tony Smith as the next coach, he likes the challenge going from Huddersfield to bringing in trophies at Leeds and Warrington. Some may raise an eyebrow but it fits his pattern in Super League.

... however I thought this may have happened at the end of the year. Smith isn't someone who would change during a season.

Edited by hindle xiii, 03 March 2013 - 02:03 PM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

... are there odds knocking around? What price Brian Noble?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Now that PV has gone, BN might be a good shout for this season. I suspect the Dr's admin squad will want an NRL coach for the long term.

Dr K is beginning to sound impatient.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#14 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

My thoughts as well.

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,993 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

It's okay to have a transition season or to say that you need to patient for the proper jam tomorrow but if you've just had your arses handed to you, at home, by London, I think the good doctor is being remarkably restrained in only firing the manager rather than having the entire team turned into Tesco Value Burgers.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#16 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

It's okay to have a transition season or to say that you need to patient for the proper jam tomorrow but if you've just had your arses handed to you, at home, by London, I think the good doctor is being remarkably restrained in only firing the manager rather than having the entire team turned into Tesco Value Burgers.

I think Tesco prefer to use much higher quality meat
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#17 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Dr K has appointed some top class league administrators. Graham Lowe knows the world league market and what is required. Their address book will be better than any other club in the league. I would back the judgement of their back room staff any day of the week.

#18 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Brian Noble tool Wigan from near relegation to consistent play-off and CC semi finalists. He then took Crusaders from dead bottom of the pile to the play offs with about 5 weeks of preseason. This as well as getting Bradford to the Grand Final 5 years in a row (winning 3).

I'd say he'd be perfect for a Salford revolution.
Posted Image

#19 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Brian Noble tool Wigan from near relegation to consistent play-off and CC semi finalists. He then took Crusaders from dead bottom of the pile to the play offs with about 5 weeks of preseason. This as well as getting Bradford to the Grand Final 5 years in a row (winning 3).

I'd say he'd be perfect for a Salford revolution.

He's the perfect coach to build a competitive side, however I'm sceptical of whether he can ever find that extra to replicate his Bradford success. He relies heavily on a defined gameplan (which admittedly at Bradford in particular worked), and lacks a Plan B when things aren't going well. Tactics have also moved on and Noble isn't a coach that will adapt his methods. Despite all that, Salford could do a lot worse, they just might have to evaluate at Yr 3 like Wigan did.

#20 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Feel a bit for Phil Veivers, i think he did ok with what he had.. theres not many coaches in the world that could have done a great deal better with the hand he was dealt.. but such is life i guess. Hope Phil can pick up another coaches job, maybe in the Champs where he will get time to develop more.

The biggest factor may have been the lack of profile he had in attracting the kind of players someone like Tim sheens or Brian Noble could.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users