TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The Salford revolution has begun

Veivers sacked.

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#181 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

For half that amount you could hire 6 full time development officer posts across the Salford -Manchester area with the goal say of establishing half a dozen NCL level clubs inside ten years. This is what I believe Wigan have got with around 2500 participants. I understand people like Kris Radlinski have a real hands on approach raising also the coaching standards at all levels through out their area.

These development officers you've got in mind must be bloody good! Six NCL level clubs in Manchester? Are you serious?

Even if these super DOs can generate the 1000 or so committed players that would be needed to sustain these clubs, where would the coaches, volunteers, sponsors, facilities etc come from?

Getting a few kids playing is the (relatively) easy bit!

#182 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

I have already done a few posts whereby I suggest Koukash may explore a dual strategy involving making the game strong in Manchester and Salford through the schools and the amateur game, in which a team of development officers and patronage from Salford build a junior base not just inside the M60 but all around it and include places like Swinton Rochdale and Oldham.

Of course if all this were to be planned and executed it may take many years before it would translate to a supply of quality players and a deeper interest in RL in general around the conurbation translating to more bums on seats in Barton.

Well I remember stardate c. 2000? when Gary Hetherington said Leeds would "produce their own players" and appointed Dean Bell to do this, and within a year Wigan decided to do the same and took Bell to do it.

The two clubs now preside over areas where the game has a true strength, rather than a dozen antipodeans propping up first team year on year until the money runs out.

Superleague needs clubs to follow this lead, wether Mr. Koukash follows it we MUST wait and see for heknows he won't get too much interest at Junior level unless he has the senior team competing with the other top clubs so I do not assume that his current "antics" which are wholly understandable, are not the full extent of his intended policies for making Salford a top club.

Slightly unfair comparison Parky. Wigan and Leeds already had huge grassroots networks to tap into; what they've actually been successful in doing is implementing a structure (scholarships etc) to tap into an existing seam of talent.

The Salford situation is drastically different.

#183 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

Is this post a wind-up, or do you genuinely suffer from some sort of split-personality?

This time last week you were shouting down people who were sensibly suggesting building a self-sufficient club, with good governance structures, a quality Chief Exec and a youth team, and telling them a model whereby a sugar daddy threw money about left, right and centre was the best model.

To be fair. Neither a bottom up or a top down approach will work for Salford. They need to do both but realistically we have to start with the top first then build a base underneath over a longer period of time.

#184 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

might has well stick a bid in for josh dugan from the canberra raiders

Edited by roughyedspud, 13 March 2013 - 11:16 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#185 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

And yet it feels higher.

:lol:

Anway, here's an article from the Guardian - mostly positive stuff.

#186 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Salford have a number of development officers, although not sure of the exact numbers. I think there are at least 4 and they are working hard with schools outside the Salford area.

I see Barker in MEN is saying it's wrong time to launch the Belle Vue club, personally I think the timing is perfect with the attention the Doctor is bringing to the game in both Cities.

#187 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Salford have a number of development officers, although not sure of the exact numbers. I think there are at least 4 and they are working hard with schools outside the Salford area.

I see Barker in MEN is saying it's wrong time to launch the Belle Vue club, personally I think the timing is perfect with the attention the Doctor is bringing to the game in both Cities.

Barker's stupid reasoning , SCR have been trying to build grass root RL in Manchester Schools & college's since 2008, they were instrumental in East Manchester Rangers youth & open age sides , a semi professional CC1 outfit in Denton / Gorton / Longsight from 2015 isn't going to impact directly on Salford aspirations , in fact it will assist , by growing interest in RL in a heartland that hasn't had a RL presence since the 60's
http://www.salfordci...s-in-manchester

Edited by Middleman, 13 March 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#188 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

I wonder if there are any Belle Vue Ranger fans still alive. Be interesting for the reporters to find out. Manchester is HUGE - plenty of room for everyone there. Oldham & Rochdale in the North and maybe Sale could be persuaded to play CC1 at Heywood Rd.

#189 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

I wonder if there are any Belle Vue Ranger fans still alive. Be interesting for the reporters to find out. Manchester is HUGE - plenty of room for everyone there. Oldham & Rochdale in the North and maybe Sale could be persuaded to play CC1 at Heywood Rd.

Correct , more local Derbies would be good for CC1 , at present poor Oldham & Rochdale apart have to travel to Gateshead - Wrexham -Gloucester - Oxford & Hemel Hempstead . I'm sure they would rather play a Trafford or a - Mcr Rangers

Edited by Middleman, 13 March 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#190 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

I don't know, probably a few . I do know my Great uncle played hooker for them!

#191 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

I don't know, probably a few . I do know my Great uncle played hooker for them!

Is he still alive hound?

#192 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Is he still alive hound?

No, he died about 10 years ago. Arthur Ashworth - he was a bad lad on the field, loads of bans and ended up wrestling at fairs!

#193 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

To be fair. Neither a bottom up or a top down approach will work for Salford. They need to do both but realistically we have to start with the top first then build a base underneath over a longer period of time.

I agree.

On the other post I did say it was a goal to aim for re-NCL clubs. You've got one already in Eccles and Mancunions up and running with ambitious ideas. And it's not to say that those clubs would necessary reach Premier NCL level.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#194 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

More words from Dr K on the salary cap

http://www.mancheste...sh-call-1744399

#195 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I wonder if there are any Belle Vue Ranger Broughton Rangers fans still alive.

I doubt anyone supported BVR on it's own, and most of the support from Broughton dwindled out after a while when it became too expensive/tedious to get to Belle Vue, and they realised it was easier to get to Station Rd, or even, at a push, and if desperate, Willows Rd.

Edited by Bleep1673, 14 March 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#196 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

I agree.

On the other post I did say it was a goal to aim for re-NCL clubs. You've got one already in Eccles and Mancunions up and running with ambitious ideas. And it's not to say that those clubs would necessary reach Premier NCL level.

1) Eccles is, technically speaking, in Salford and is an established part of the Salford ARL scene.

2) even reaching the bottom tier of the NCL involves fulfilling some pretty exacting standards.

#197 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

1) Eccles is, technically speaking, in Salford and is an established part of the Salford ARL scene.

So is Irlam Hornets, although "Salford ARL" is actually Manchester & District for some reason, maybe they should rename it Salford, or like the Parliamentary constituency, Swinton & District :)
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#198 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

So is Irlam Hornets, although "Salford ARL" is actually Manchester & District for some reason, maybe they should rename it Salford, or like the Parliamentary constituency, Swinton & District :)

I know. It's a bit of an historical anomaly. I played in the Valentine Cup years ago and most of the clubs, bar Trafford and Prestwich (both now defunct) were Salford clubs.

'Manchester' Knights (also defunct) were actually based in Tameside too during their brief dalliance with summer rugby, with most of their players being bused in from Salford/Oldham.

So Mancunians are probably the only proper Manc club in at least 25 years. Let's hope some of these other new Manchester clubs actually take off.

#199 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

More words from Dr K on the salary cap

http://www.mancheste...sh-call-1744399

“To claim a salary cap increase would drive some clubs under is a very defeatist attitude – we all have to be strong and positive.
“An increase would raise the sport’s profile, it would attract more top players and as a result more money could be demanded for the sport’s TV rights.

Interesting.

here does he think the "more top players" will come from? The NRL? Rugby Union?

That's me.  I'm done.

#200 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

No, he died about 10 years ago. Arthur Ashworth - he was a bad lad on the field, loads of bans and ended up wrestling at fairs!

World class :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users