Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Salford revolution has begun

Veivers sacked.

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#201 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

I doubt anyone supported BVR on it's own, and most of the support from Broughton dwindled out after a while when it became too expensive/tedious to get to Belle Vue, and they realised it was easier to get to Station Rd, or even, at a push, and if desperate, Willows Rd.

Well I wouldn't necessarily agree there Bleep.

Admittedly I am now an Old Git but in the Fifties I followed Oldham and I actually remember them playing Belle Vue Rangers and as the Roughyeds had gates of 10k plus regularly there must be a few Belle Vue fans still alive.

The match I witnessed but needed the help of an Oldham Rugby Handbook of 1955 to confirm was played on New Years Day and drew a crowd of over 10,000.

In the Handbook of 1954 when Oldham (with a strong side) played at Belle Vue there was a gate of 5,000 and the Rangers won 17-14. Belle Vue finished above Salford in the Lancashire League in those days.

Edited by Segovia Carpet, 15 March 2013 - 08:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users