RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Salford revolution has begun

Veivers sacked.

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#21 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I know he's been out of the game for a few years, even longer coaching at the top flight but why doesn't ellery hanleys name never get mentioned for any coaching positions? He's a born winner, knows the game inside out and is a top name who could attract the big name players and get bums on seats.

#22 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

He's the perfect coach to build a competitive side, however I'm sceptical of whether he can ever find that extra to replicate his Bradford success. He relies heavily on a defined gameplan (which admittedly at Bradford in particular worked), and lacks a Plan B when things aren't going well. Tactics have also moved on and Noble isn't a coach that will adapt his methods. Despite all that, Salford could do a lot worse, they just might have to evaluate at Yr 3 like Wigan did.

Can't argue with that. I think they'd be pretty chuffed if he could do what he did at Crusaders, let alone what he did at Wigan!
Posted Image

#23 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

My top 3 long term(2014) choices would be:
1. Shaun Edwards
2. Andy Farrell
3. Tim sheens

Ellery Hanley or Brian noble as interim mangers.

#24 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

While Farrrl Jnr is knocking over penalties and winning dull Six Nations games Farrell Snr is on to a good thing so I can't see it being him. My money would be on Noble, not only a great coach but very good infront of a camera.

#25 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Shaun Edwards or Andy Farrell would definitely generate some headlines.. would be interesting to see, but reckon Tim sheen's is probably the guy they'll go for. Whether Sheen's will want it at this precise moment in time is another thing.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#26 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

I too feel sorry for Vievers - he given a loaded deck at the start of this season.
Either Noble or Kear could do a job for the Reds but i can't see an Australian management team picking anything other than an Aussie.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#27 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

I too feel sorry for Vievers - he given a loaded deck at the start of this season.
Either Noble or Kear could do a job for the Reds but i can't see an Australian management team picking anything other than an Aussie.

hands off Kear ... he is doing a great job at Batley
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#28 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

is Brian McClennen got a Coaches role at the moment?.. if not he might be a possibility, especially with the Kiwi Admin at the club. Dont think he would be the coach Salford need.. but wouldnt be surprised to hear his name thrown

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#29 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

My top 3 long term(2014) choices would be:
1. Shaun Edwards
2. Andy Farrell
3. Tim sheens

Ellery Hanley or Brian noble as interim mangers.

First two, no chance. Out of the game for too long now anyway.

Hanley isn't the right man. He'd flounce out after six months and they'd be back to square one.

Brian Noble or Tony Smith for me. Sheens would be a hell of a signing though. That would make people sit up and take Salford seriously.

That's me.  I'm done.

#30 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Said elsewhere that on a personal level I feel sorry for Phil Veivers he kept the team together during the dark months. He deserves praise for that.

Having said that I do believe this is the correct call. Salford have won 1 in 13 games, he was coach for all last season this isn't just about 5 games of this year. Heard someone on the radio say we had conceded 36 points per game in those 13 games. His decision making on Friday was woefully inadequate and the team looked as if they lacked motivation, that will change after this sacking

Lowe has recently arrived at the club and I guess he has been watching the training and it maybe his report to Koukash has indicated he isn't good enough. Lets remember he was 2nd choice for the last board and only got the job because he was cheap and Parish refused to return.

Alan Hunte is in charge assisted by Long and Paul Highton.

As for replacements I'd say no to Noble, Kear, Farrell, Goulding and Hanley.

No doubt as all the men in the top positions are from down under another Aussie or Kiwi will be appointed.

#31 Philm

Philm
  • Coach
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

I agree with all the above, he was wonky last year, and lost most of the half-decent players during the off season, through no fault of his.
A big name coach could possibly bring a few name players with him, as long as Koukash doesn't try poaching coaches already in post. I'm not sure what he expects other clubs to do, with the name players, release them as a charity job?
I think Australians wishing to try Europe would be a good bet, maybe someone in the Aussie National Squad?

Come on now he did say he was prepared to pay a transfer fee for Sam Tomkins.

#32 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hope Nobby gets the job.....can't see it though

#33 bigred

bigred
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Maybe they can play the four donkeys they insisted turned out for us today!
Oh and leave our club alone because we don't need their rubbish!

#34 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Maybe they can play the four donkeys they insisted turned out for us today!
Oh and leave our club alone because we don't need their rubbish!

Koukash has specifically stated that he wants to support Oldham to get promoted so you may not be having donkeys for too much longer!

#35 bigred

bigred
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

I don't want his filthy hands anywhere near my club!
Unless of course he ditched that perennial waste of space and money that is Salford, and became our owner!

#36 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Veivers won't have been sacked due to the results, it would of been due to his abilities of attracting quality players. I do think Mr Koukash has done the right thing for Salford long term. Koukask isn't an idiot, and he's probably found out over his short time in the game that quality players are hard to come by, so to make it easier a high profile coach is needed to attract high calibre players.

I'll be very surprised if Veivers was sacked due to the performances, as no coach could of coached that team to any level of success.

#37 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

is Brian McClennen got a Coaches role at the moment?.. if not he might be a possibility, especially with the Kiwi Admin at the club. Dont think he would be the coach Salford need.. but wouldnt be surprised to hear his name thrown

I never felt he was able to put his stamp on Leeds. He was said to be one of the best man managers in the game but for his trophies he really fed off what smith left.
Maybe he was not given long enough but i would not have him down as a team builder.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#38 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,569 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Veivers won't have been sacked due to the results, it would of been due to his abilities of attracting quality players. I do think Mr Koukash has done the right thing for Salford long term. Koukask isn't an idiot, and he's probably found out over his short time in the game that quality players are hard to come by, so to make it easier a high profile coach is needed to attract high calibre players.

I'll be very surprised if Veivers was sacked due to the performances, as no coach could of coached that team to any level of success.

No, but losing at home to London is a no-no especially since it was quite a big defeat.

#39 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

With Graham Lowe involved in the process "Bluey" would be a fair call. Tim Sheens will not join any UK club until after the World Cup so rule him out.
Brian Noble has already been in discussions last year with a Super League club who were unsure as to his commitment (his words not mine). I suspect, though cannot prove, the club was the Broncos.
I would like to see Bobby Goulding back in the game now his offfield issues are resolved. The bobster being an ex-Salford player.
Sad for Phil Vievers who had no chance with the hand he was dealt and unless he has someone lined up 2013 could be a long season for the good Doctor.....

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 04 March 2013 - 12:34 AM.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#40 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:16 AM

Bluey might be in with a shout but like Kearney his man management skills are suspect. Tim Sheens may be the current Aussie Test Coach but you might as well have Shaun McCrae back in.
Nobby would be the best choice by far, but all depends on the Doctors prescription whether its genuine or quack medicine.
If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users