Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Salford revolution has begun

Veivers sacked.

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#41 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

I never felt he was able to put his stamp on Leeds. He was said to be one of the best man managers in the game but for his trophies he really fed off what smith left.
Maybe he was not given long enough but i would not have him down as a team builder.

While he's a good motivator in one off situations, he's not a great tactical coach and as shown by his time at the NZ Warriors, he's not good when the pressures on. By all accounts a very nice bloke, but I'm not convinced he's cut out for club coaching at the top level.

#42 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Goulding left Salford under a cloud and I don't want hm as coach, quite simply he isn't good enough.

Some fans have mentioned Alker again why have an ex player with such a "history"

I want a coach for the future not some stop gap, the likes of Noble are OK but not the answer, if he was such a great coach he wouldn't be unemployed.

It amazes me the comments from fans of other clubs, none of which would accept a record that Veivers had and I bet no SL club would even have him on their short list. Saints sacked their coach with a better record.

#43 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Noble aint the answer.

#44 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,330 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Koukash isn't an idiot, and he's probably found out over his short time in the game that quality players are hard to come by, so to make it easier a high profile coach is needed to attract high calibre players.

I'll be very surprised if Veivers was sacked due to the performances, as no coach could of coached that team to any level of success.

Mr. Koukash's mental agility may well be in question if he signed up to take Salford on before analysing the realities of Superleague and the Salford area. That's just IMHO of course.

There's potentially 10,000 fans to attract out there, but a team built on local kids would be 20 years off, he can't spend more than £1.65 on wages, but he can spend on the very best coaching and admin staff he can and seems to be doing so IMHO great observations there.

As others said he needs a breakthrough or two to get the ball rolling and the players coming.

If things do start to roll forward and top players join then all will be well at Salford, however watch out for the effect of that being the decline in fortunes of some other SL club.

I'd like Dr. K to throw amost of his money at promoting the game to the kids in Manchester/Salford, now that would be good for the game.

#45 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Tony Iro, tweeted as possible new coach.

#46 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

I want a coach for the future not some stop gap, the likes of Noble are OK but not the answer, if he was such a great coach he wouldn't be unemployed.

:blink: Ok then...

Nobby has been in talks with a pretty decent number of SL clubs since Crusaders so it isn't as if he is waiting for the phone to ring. I think these talks have broken down purely as they couldn't afford him. That's his right I guess, and I think he'll be making plenty from the much less stressful field of media personality and after dinner speaking. I don't think he'll ever go back to a long term SL job (except maybe the Bulls because of the history, but I still doubt it).

Can certainly see him being a "Stop gap" at Salford, it'd be money for old rope and he couldn't do much worse. Long term, I think he would work at Salford (although hardly an impartial party am I?) but probably won't. I also don't think he is what the new owner is after in terms of a flashy new era. Interesting times ahead.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#47 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

How much would it cost to get Tony Smith ;)

#48 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

Marwan wants silverware by the end of next year and we think we've got a crack at the Challenge Cup this year if we get a nice draw.
We haven't written the season off by any means and I still don't think the play-offs are out of reach. We've seen clubs who have lost seven of the first 10 and still made the play-offs.

Challenge Cup a target this year and definitely silverware by the end of next season? Is that really realistic? :blink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/21654464

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#49 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

http://www.superleag..._medium=twitter

#50 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

tim sheens is'nt going anywhere till after the world cup.....the ARLC will not allow him to coach in england and be the australia coach at the same time..end of story...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#51 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Kearney seems to have been in the position Veivers was, applied for the job and not selected. Bluey lost 8 games on the trot, not the sort of coach suited to the current times. Why would any SL team take on Goulding, largely unproven as a coach.

Should be interesting to see what Hunte makes of the job.

Can Oldham please send Evalds back so we can replace the ass from Wigan? ( I assume he is one of the 4 players ?)

#52 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

It amazes me the comments from fans of other clubs, none of which would accept a record that Veivers had and I bet no SL club would even have him on their short list. Saints sacked their coach with a better record.

Spot on. While Veivers stuck with the club through a lot of instability, he did have most of the better quality players available to him last season and yet he still didn't manage to get Salford winning for more than what a couple of times on the bounce each time? And the win against Hull KR a week ago was the first win in ten, wasn't it? Why should Salford's owner put up with that kind of record? Saints got rid of Simmons after a four week losing streak and I didn't agree with the decision because he got us to the Grand Final in 2011 and to third in the league on the back of our worst recorded injury crisis when sometimes half our fielded team was from the u20s. I still don't agree with the Simmons sacking but what I do think Koukash has got right is the determination to raise the standards, expectations and professionalism of the Salford club. For too long now it has been a bit of a basket case and as such not taken very seriously by other clubs.

#53 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Tony Iro, tweeted as possible new coach.

Gets a mention in the Manchester Evening News.

#54 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,330 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Challenge Cup a target this year and definitely silverware by the end of next season? Is that really realistic? :blink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/21654464

You know it's not, you've been around long enough.

It's PR aimed at getting people going......

#55 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

and so the revolving door begins to turn.................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#56 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Spot on. While Veivers stuck with the club through a lot of instability, he did have most of the better quality players available to him last season and yet he still didn't manage to get Salford winning for more than what a couple of times on the bounce each time? And the win against Hull KR a week ago was the first win in ten, wasn't it? Why should Salford's owner put up with that kind of record? Saints got rid of Simmons after a four week losing streak and I didn't agree with the decision because he got us to the Grand Final in 2011 and to third in the league on the back of our worst recorded injury crisis when sometimes half our fielded team was from the u20s. I still don't agree with the Simmons sacking but what I do think Koukash has got right is the determination to raise the standards, expectations and professionalism of the Salford club. For too long now it has been a bit of a basket case and as such not taken very seriously by other clubs.

Am I right in thinking you are the 'Saintslass' who wanted Mick Potter sacked from St Helens because he didn't show enough emotion ?
Phil Veivers may as well have been sacked for having long hair such is the ludicrous decision that has been made; while the rest of the club is even worse than the performances on it.
Phil Veivers went from working in a drought to working in a whirlwind and working in extremities is always difficult.
I am surprised Alan Long has not walked out on principle,but I suppose if Daniel Anderson was to get the job it will certainly benefit him.
Another masterstroke by the RFL - We have a young player jeered by the home support because of poor technique despite him being through the academy at a so-called big club - such has been the improvement in British standards - and now we have more money about to be spent on Antipodeans.
Yea,we're catching up as we go round and round in ever decreasing circles. :rolleyes:

#57 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

With all this talk of revolution I'm starting to see Koukash looking like Stalin. I will take this analogy as far as possible...

Salford City REDS (Russia) have huge potential - a large population, potential for juniors, and a large stadium. However the evil powers to the west - Warrington, Wigan and Saints (Germany, Britain, France) and the evil powers to the east - Leeds, Hull (Japan, China) have been pillaging and raiding poor defenceless Salford for four Super League seasons 2009-2012 (First World War 1914-1918).

But then a saviour takes to the stage. Koukash promises to make Salford great and glorious. First he purges the club of the useless leader Phil Veivers (Tsar Nicholas II), whose awful management of affairs has caused the Salford fans (Russian people) much suffering and despair. The Salford fans have been malnourished by the lack of silverware (food) that their 'revered' leader promised them. With his money and ruthless ideology he implements a set of 1 year plans (Five Year Plans) which focus on props (steel), scrum half (oil) and fullback (electricity). Koukash tries to recruit the genius of the West - Sam Tomkins (Albert Einstein) to help lead the Salfordland into glory but he refuses. He ends up buying second-rate Australians (bad Western technical advisors) instead.

Koukash creates CITY RED PLANET TV (Battleship Potemkin), Red Radio World Service FM (Radio Moscow) and the Salford Daily Gazette (Pravda) in a bid to keep the Salford fans happy and to make them believe that he is the best leader in the entire Super League.

Five years (fifteen) after Koukash taking power Salford City Reds take on the evil Warrington Wolves Glamour Empire (Germany) on the biggest stage of all Old Trafford (Second World War). Both teams have swept away opposition in the play-offs - Castleford (Poland), Hull FC (Austria), and Catalans Dragons (Romania) have all been destroyed. For the first 50 minutes (1939-42) Warrington have repeatedly had Salford on the backfoot and look likely to be victorious, but then Koukash calls upon his team to rise up and defend their line - for it is about to break. "Comrades, remember the glorious Salfordland. Remember the olden dayes when the evil rich teams HUMILIATED us every single week at The Willows. Remember when they would laugh at our squad and chortle when a team had put 70 points past us. Show those teams that we are now superior. Comrades - win this match, or die trying!"

They manage to push Warrington back, sending Team Glamour in full retreat led by the cunning and devious Tony Smith (um...) who hides in his bunker and can only watch in anguish at the Salford slaughter. By the end of the match (1945) Salford have won and have finally shown the other teams (other countries) that they are a Super League Super Power!

But with that title comes great responsibility. Koukash decides it is best to infiltrate the runnings of Manchester United (East Germany), Manchester City (Czecoslovakia), Oldham (Hungary), and the mighty Swinton Lions (Romania). He tries to infiltrate Rochdale Hornets (Yugoslavia) but they are now just a little to powerful having recently won a Super League franchise. All this is done because Koukash fears the evil Wigan Warriors Empire to the West - the new enemy on the block.

But suddenly with the running of all these clubs and all the power and glory that Salford had amassed, Koukash starts becoming very paranoid that somebody would steal his precious Salford away from him. It is all too much, he cannot take the fame and glory, and ends up kicking the bucket... (1953). The Salford Red Empire now has to face the all-time most powerful, silverware-greedy, Wigan Warrior Empire (USA) without the leadership of the great Dr Koukash...

The End! :D

Ah I still have a childs imagination! B)

#58 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

Am I right in thinking you are the 'Saintslass' who wanted Mick Potter sacked from St Helens because he didn't show enough emotion ?

Er, no.

Phil Veivers may as well have been sacked for having long hair such is the ludicrous decision that has been made; while the rest of the club is even worse than the performances on it.

Whatever you say. One win in 10 is a great achievement.

Phil Veivers went from working in a drought to working in a whirlwind and working in extremities is always difficult.
I am surprised Alan Long has not walked out on principle,but I suppose if Daniel Anderson was to get the job it will certainly benefit him.

I believe Daniel Anderson is very happy in his job sorting out referees down under.

Another masterstroke by the RFL - We have a young player jeered by the home support because of poor technique despite him being through the academy at a so-called big club - such has been the improvement in British standards - and now we have more money about to be spent on Antipodeans.

What's the RFL got to do with it and what are you talking about?

#59 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Twoblue- do you really think Veivers has shown anything to suggest he has the ability to coach on the highest stage? Do you not think that his tactics and explanations lack conviction?

Do you think continuing to play Murphy was sound given his age and performances to date? Do you think extending his loan period given those performances was sound?

Do you think playing Foran at half back having been in the country 48 hours rather than continue with the pairing that had success last week was sound, then blame it for the failure is the sign of a good coach ?

Veivers was always going to go at some point, he hasn't shown anything last season to make me think this year was going to be better. Whilst I admire the guy for holding it together during the bad times and on a personal level feel sorry for him this is the correct call he won't get that team to play well.

#60 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

Maybe they can play the four donkeys they insisted turned out for us today!
Oh and leave our club alone because we don't need their rubbish!

I take it you are referring to Oldham in the NRC

Jon Ford , Adam Files & Niall Evalds ( 3 of the 4 donkeys ) scored all three of your tries yesterday