Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Salford revolution has begun

Veivers sacked.

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#61 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Ah I still have a childs imagination! B)

And WAY too much time on your hands! ;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#62 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Bluey might be in with a shout but like Kearney his man management skills are suspect. Tim Sheens may be the current Aussie Test Coach but you might as well have Shaun McCrae back in.
Nobby would be the best choice by far, but all depends on the Doctors prescription whether its genuine or quack medicine.

Please tell me you were joking. You were joking, weren't you? I'd rather start watching Sale than have him back! (and that was only partly tongue in cheek!)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#63 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

Phil seems a decent fella but, if the club is to become a force, it needs an elite coach so his departure was inevitable.

Some of the names being linked with the club (Goulding, Alker etc) are laughable and indicate that many still aren't willing to accept the fact that Salford is now an ambitious and cashed up club.

Personally, I hope we avoid the likes of McLennan, Kearney and Iro and go for a BIG name with proven credentials.

Sheens would fit that profile but I'm not sure we can tread water in the meantime; Brian Smith is probably not the draw he once was; ditto Noble.

In terms of availability, profile and track record Daniel Anderson could be the man.

#64 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

I suspect this is going to end in tears.

Koukash is endearing himself to nobody and seems to be expecting instant results. He just seems to be chucking his weight around at the moment but where's his business plan? Surely he needs to start with the foundations of the house rather than the fancy decor?

That's my ill-informed opinion anyway. :mellow:

#65 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

In terms of availability, profile and track record Daniel Anderson could be the man.

Anderson is now the NRL referee's 'high peformance manger', so I'm not sure he'd be available anyway.

#66 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

Anderson is now the NRL referee's 'high peformance manger', so I'm not sure he'd be available anyway.

That sounds like the world's dullest job, particularly for a bloke whose vocation is in coaching.

Loving the Koukash backlash from rival fans; long may it continue!

#67 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

That sounds like the world's dullest job, particularly for a bloke whose vocation is in coaching.

True enough, but he might be enjoying it. I believe he was doing a fair bit of media work as well last year, so he might be able to combine the two. I also recall some interviews last year where he mentioned staying in Oz as his family was now settled.

#68 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Coaches coach.

#69 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

I suspect this is going to end in tears.

Koukash is endearing himself to nobody and seems to be expecting instant results. He just seems to be chucking his weight around at the moment but where's his business plan? Surely he needs to start with the foundations of the house rather than the fancy decor?

That's my ill-informed opinion anyway. :mellow:

I have to agree with you. This is, indeed, an ill-informed opinion and post. Utterly ill-informed.

#70 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

1. where's his business plan?

2. He needs to start with the foundations of the house rather than the fancy decor?

1. In his wallet?

2. It's not a house he can do both.

#71 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

How childish.

Ok, lets put it this way: He seems to think that the best way to build a successful club is to publicly throw money at the problem, unsettle players from his fellow superleague clubs and sack the coach without having a replacement.

Yeah, great business plan.

He'd be better off talking to Andy Gatcliffe at Warrington about corporate strategies, revenue building, sponsorship, community initiatives etc rather than embarrassing himself in the media by saying "look at me, I'm rich, I can do anything".

#72 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

The fans know Phil isn't up to the job.

His sacking may have dual purpose, the players didn't seem to believe the management team when they said everyone had to fight for their jobs and prove their worth. I bet they do now. Veivers went on record as saying he was responsible for the defensive coaching and Long the attacking. He has paid the price for his failure.

Lowe and Chalmers know what it takes to run a club and I'm sure Koukash is taking their advice. I don't expect a business man like Koukash not to have plans and targets.

Salford needed to be assessed from top to bottom, Veivers is high profile but others ahve gone, Simms, and Tina Bell the commercial manager (daughter of John Wilkinson) I fully expect others to go as Ed Farish finds his feet. I believe there was a big staff meeting last week and the whole team have been told what is expected.

Edited by Red Willow, 05 March 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#73 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

How childish.

Ok, lets put it this way: He seems to think that the best way to build a successful club is to publicly throw money at the problem, unsettle players from his fellow superleague clubs and sack the coach without having a replacement.

Yeah, great business plan.

He'd be better off talking to Andy Gatcliffe at Warrington about corporate strategies, revenue building, sponsorship, community initiatives etc rather than embarrassing himself in the media by saying "look at me, I'm rich, I can do anything".

How naive.

Why would a successful businessman take lessons from Gatcliffe?

Dr. K. is rich, and he will spend, and he will do it now.

He needs to send a big fat message out that he means business for his club. They had 10,000 people turn up at the Willows only 18 months ago (This is a fact I looked it up) and he's shouting at them from the news headlines that he's after the very best coach and best players he can get.

That's a damn good strategy to short cut any woffle with Gatcliffe (IMHO of course) and start to get bums back on seats.

He can chuck as many millions at RL as he wants, the game needs the money. Doesn't Mr. Moran like to offer "transfer fees" doesn't he like to chuck money at top Aussies to stimulate fan interest?

Edited by The Parksider, 05 March 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#74 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Lets not use forums to judge the Dr

Why not? I think a heavy spending multi millionaire is fantastic for the game?

Now let's find one for Castleford.

#75 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

This bloke sound like the guy of person we need I the game, not afraid to ###### a few people off and get the job done. Maybe if we had more like him we wouldn't be seen as a walk over by the media, sponsors and other sports.

I would get him on the board at the RFL and stop listening to idiots like Hetherington, who wants to pay the players even less money!

#76 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

stop listening to idiots like Hetherington, who wants to pay the players even less money!

What has he said Mark??

#77 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

has the salary cap rules been explained fully to the good doctor????
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#78 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

What has he said Mark??

Isn't Hetherington opposed to any increase in the salary cap period?

I appreciate the issue of sustainability and not wanting to create unaffordable salaries, but IMO the cap should be index linked to enable club's purchasing power to remain constant YOY, rather than decreasing as is the current case. No good moaning about the purchasing power of RU or the NRL if SL clubs choose to handicap themselves in this way. I know not everyone would be able to keep up even with a 3% increase in cap spend but that's just a fact of life when running an elite sports league.

Whilst on the subject, I would take a leaf out of the RU Premiership's salary cap rulebook and introduce a marquee player exemption. This would go some way to counterbalancing the impact of the poor £/ AUS $ rate, HMRC clampdown on dodgy offshore tax arrangements and the increase in NRL cap. Each club could nominate one player in their squad to be exempt from the cap, so if say Dr K wanted to offer Cameron Smith or Billy Slater or Benji Marshall £1m pa to play in Salford he could do so and still be able to put a decent squad together. Right now I can't see any other way of getting the really big stars from the NRL over here. Or if Wigan want to pay Tomkins a similar amount so that he stays, that would free up the existing cap spend on him to either increase their squad size or better remunerate the other top performers in their squad.

Obviously the clubs would need to demonstrate the affordability and sustainability of such deals and this would need to be closely policed by the RFL (what chance it ever being done so correctly?)

Edited by foozler, 05 March 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#79 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

What has he said Mark??

Despite his name,markleeds is an anti Leeds troll.Ignore what he posts.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#80 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Despite his name,markleeds is an anti Leeds troll.Ignore what he posts.

:o

Thanks TWIG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users