Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Salford revolution has begun

Veivers sacked.

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#141 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

The good Doctor has been at it again, he's asking for Salford to be given a £500k extension to the Salary cap for two years to help rebuild the club.

He won't get it, but its another controversial, sit up and listen pronouncement.

He's the Doctor who cried Wolf.

If he came up with an actual good idea now nobody would listen.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#142 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Is it that unreasonable a request? Clubs in Oz can carry over left over salary cap space into the next season.

Salford have operated on a sub-50% cap for years and were mercilessly asset stripped last year.

#143 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Is it that unreasonable a request? Clubs in Oz can carry over left over salary cap space into the next season.

Salford have operated on a sub-50% cap for years and were mercilessly asset stripped last year.

I think that was his point.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#144 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

He's the Doctor who cried Wolf.

If he came up with an actual good idea now nobody would listen.

He's the guy that knows that Salford need a higher profile and he's generating it.

He may actually have a very good point, as a new owner, in serious need to build a competitive side, if he is willing to unconditionally pay from his own pocket for two years an extra £500k in wages to turn the club around then why not.

I am not in general in favour of a raise in the cap at the moment, but its an interesting idea that if you save a club you should be rewarded by making it easier to entice top players in the short term to the club.

The only stipulation should be that it is from his own pocket and unconditional.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#145 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

At least he's asked about upping the salary cap for a period of time, some clubs have done it previously whihout asking.

#146 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

At least he's asked about upping the salary cap for a period of time, some clubs have done it previously whihout asking.

Ouch.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#147 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Yes, Saints have been convicted more times than anyone of breaching the cap.

#148 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Yes, Saints have been convicted more times than anyone of breaching the cap.

Indeed they have, plus some other ex super league champions and FC

#149 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Indeed they have, plus some other ex super league champions and FC

i believe one club once got done for breaking the spirit of the cap, but then had to have a cap extension the following season after the RFL realised they had cocked up. Like you I'm a bit forgetful about who I'm talking about.

There are unsubstantiated rumours of some very dodgy practices going on at a recent CC winning club, but I couldn't possibly comment.

#150 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

PMJ and Padge, you two are like Morecambe and Wise. Except I can't work out which one is the straight man and which the comedian. :P

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#151 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

PMJ and Padge, you two are like Morecambe and Wise. Except I can't work out which one is the straight man and which the comedian. :P

I'm wiser than PJM if that helps.

#152 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

I'm wiser than PJM if that helps.

Indeed old owl

#153 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

He's the guy that knows that Salford need a higher profile and he's generating it.

He's certainly added to the ambient noise that says rugby league is a sport in trouble that doesn't know what it's doing.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#154 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

I'd certainly raise an eyebrow or two if the cap was raised for a couple of years, they can have our half of the cap. :rolleyes:

And also, say this get ticked, what happens after the two years raised cap? Pay cuts? Lose those marquee signings?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#155 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

i like the idea that you can carry over unspent salary cap to the next season.....but as hindle points out it could get tricky...and like whats happens in the NRL contracts are juggled about....say a player signs a 3 year, 600k contract...they'll get 100k in year one,200k in year 2 & 300k in year 3...or variations of that to keep the club within the salary cap..

it caught penrith out last year thats why they had to get rid of luke lewis & michael jenning.....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#156 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Too messy.

#157 KEVVY

KEVVY
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

What ever the new owner does, it is in the news, raising the profile of Rugby League, and a raised profile = larger crowds. Salford in particular, and League in general, these are the two biggest things that need to be addressed.

#158 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

He may actually have a very good point, as a new owner, in serious need to build a competitive side, if he is willing to unconditionally pay from his own pocket for two years an extra £500k in wages to turn the club around then why not.

I'm all for rich men pumping money into the game in principle.

I know you know this but will just use a reply to you as a vehicle to suggest that if Koukash starts outbidding the top clubs for their players and strengthens Salford then all we will get is musical chairs and someone else will go into a decline.

If he has £500K a year to chuck away then better chucked at RL development across Salford/manchester.

I may be doing him a dis-service, he may be keen on building the club's strength long term, but then again he may simply want a winner now and that means stripping the best players off the other clubs.

At least Snape stripped them from Union

Edited by The Parksider, 11 March 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#159 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

I'm all for rich men pumping money into the game in principle.

I know you know this but will just use a reply to you as a vehicle to suggest that if Koukash starts outbidding the top clubs for their players and strengthens Salford then all we will get is musical chairs and someone else will go into a decline.

If he has £500K a year to chuck away then better chucked at RL development across Salford/manchester.

I may be doing him a dis-service, he may be keen on building the club's strength long term, but then again he may simply want a winner now and that means stripping the best players off the other clubs.

At least Snape stripped them from Union

For half that amount you could hire 6 full time development officer posts across the Salford -Manchester area with the goal say of establishing half a dozen NCL level clubs inside ten years. This is what I believe Wigan have got with around 2500 participants. I understand people like Kris Radlinski have a real hands on approach raising also the coaching standards at all levels through out their area.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#160 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

I worry that this guy is the rugby league equivalent of the venky's at blackburn. making a lot of noise, but has he actually started spending on realistic goals to genuinely help improve the club step-wise? maybe he has and i haven't noticed it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users