TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The Salford revolution has begun

Veivers sacked.

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#161 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

For half that amount you could hire 6 full time development officer posts across the Salford -Manchester area with the goal say of establishing half a dozen NCL level clubs inside ten years. This is what I believe Wigan have got with around 2500 participants. I understand people like Kris Radlinski have a real hands on approach raising also the coaching standards at all levels through out their area.

I have already done a few posts whereby I suggest Koukash may explore a dual strategy involving making the game strong in Manchester and Salford through the schools and the amateur game, in which a team of development officers and patronage from Salford build a junior base not just inside the M60 but all around it and include places like Swinton Rochdale and Oldham.

Of course if all this were to be planned and executed it may take many years before it would translate to a supply of quality players and a deeper interest in RL in general around the conurbation translating to more bums on seats in Barton.

Well I remember stardate c. 2000? when Gary Hetherington said Leeds would "produce their own players" and appointed Dean Bell to do this, and within a year Wigan decided to do the same and took Bell to do it.

The two clubs now preside over areas where the game has a true strength, rather than a dozen antipodeans propping up first team year on year until the money runs out.

Superleague needs clubs to follow this lead, wether Mr. Koukash follows it we MUST wait and see for heknows he won't get too much interest at Junior level unless he has the senior team competing with the other top clubs so I do not assume that his current "antics" which are wholly understandable, are not the full extent of his intended policies for making Salford a top club.

#162 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,859 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

I have already done a few posts whereby I suggest Koukash may explore a dual strategy involving making the game strong in Manchester and Salford through the schools and the amateur game, in which a team of development officers and patronage from Salford build a junior base not just inside the M60 but all around it and include places like Swinton Rochdale and Oldham.

Of course if all this were to be planned and executed it may take many years before it would translate to a supply of quality players and a deeper interest in RL in general around the conurbation translating to more bums on seats in Barton.

Well I remember stardate c. 2000? when Gary Hetherington said Leeds would "produce their own players" and appointed Dean Bell to do this, and within a year Wigan decided to do the same and took Bell to do it.

The two clubs now preside over areas where the game has a true strength, rather than a dozen antipodeans propping up first team year on year until the money runs out.

Superleague needs clubs to follow this lead, wether Mr. Koukash follows it we MUST wait and see for heknows he won't get too much interest at Junior level unless he has the senior team competing with the other top clubs so I do not assume that his current "antics" which are wholly understandable, are not the full extent of his intended policies for making Salford a top club.

Is this post a wind-up, or do you genuinely suffer from some sort of split-personality?

This time last week you were shouting down people who were sensibly suggesting building a self-sufficient club, with good governance structures, a quality Chief Exec and a youth team, and telling them a model whereby a sugar daddy threw money about left, right and centre was the best model.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#163 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

1. Is this post a wind-up...

2. This time last week you were shouting down people.......

1. No but most of your silly posts are wind ups.

2. You can't "shout down" people over the internet.

If you want to debate the issue you refer to then explain it, and i'll give you an answer.

#164 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,859 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

1. No but most of your silly posts are wind ups.

2. You can't "shout down" people over the internet.

If you want to debate the issue you refer to then explain it, and i'll give you an answer.

You ignored the argument last week - that Moran has actually built the Warrington up over a long period of time, with the expertise of Gatcliffe and others - and you always come back to the 'sugar daddy' argument eventually.

Actually I'd argue that your posting style, where threads culminate in you making 60-70% of posts, shows that is possible to shout people down over the internet.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#165 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,872 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

I worry that this guy is the rugby league equivalent of the venky's at blackburn. making a lot of noise, but has he actually started spending on realistic goals to genuinely help improve the club step-wise? maybe he has and i haven't noticed it...

Well, one thing he hasn't done (yet) is panic-buy a bunch of average NRL players. Which is a good sign. He's spoken of a total rebuilding of the club's off-field operations, which is something that will be less newsworthy than signing new players, and is also something that will take time. Let's wait and see whether he's the real deal or not.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#166 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Well, one thing he hasn't done (yet) is panic-buy a bunch of average NRL players. Which is a good sign. He's spoken of a total rebuilding of the club's off-field operations, which is something that will be less newsworthy than signing new players, and is also something that will take time. Let's wait and see whether he's the real deal or not.

The jury is out on McGoldrick, Foran, Mauro and possibly O'Dwyer.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#167 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

1. You ignored the argument last week - that Moran has actually built the Warrington up over a long period of time, with the expertise of Gatcliffe and others - and you always come back to the 'sugar daddy' argument eventually.

2. Actually I'd argue that your posting style, where threads culminate in you making 60-70% of posts, shows that is possible to shout people down over the internet.

1. No I argued that Koukash is a very intelligent and capable businessman man and my bet was he would not need and certainly not want Mr. Gatcliffe to tell him how best to run a club. Koukash sat and talked long and hard to the boss of the RFL before he came into the game.

If you bother to read the posts that I make I think it's logical that any rich owner should adopt a double strategy of trying to ensure he has a competetive SL team because that is what attracts the kids. that's what Wire have achieved with Mr. Moran bringing in big names and cups and the backroom staff developing the local junior scene who all want to play for wire one day.

In addition to this I posted that one strategy is best coming before the other. Therefore just because Koukash is trying to get a top first team together now, it's no evidence he won't try to build the game around the M60. I would however be dissapointed if all he did was sign big stars off the other clubs.

2. My "posting style" is my business. If I choose to reply at length to only selected threads that's my business.

If you choose to pop in and out of all the threads with silly comments and no real substance to the debate then that's your business.

If you try to have a personal argument with me then you will find that I'll have your posts on ignore, as that's the board rules, and the other guy whose trying to have a go should realise he's on ignore and always will be :lol:

#168 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

I think one of the reasons he wants the cap raised for Salford is to pay off some of the dead wood and be able to replace them.

McGoldrick was dropped yesterday. Too early for Mauro & Foran as they ahve only been here a week.

The club needs investment from top to bottom, he is certainly gaining the club attention, just look at the posts on here, articles in the Guardian & MEN.

Think it will be next season before we see the signs of any improvement.

#169 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

It's always puzzled me how a big city like Manchester slap bang in the middle of the "heartlands" doesn't have any amateur/junior rugby league setup like you'd find in Leeds, hull, Bradford etc. I know there's a fairly new club just set up Manchester rl and a school team with a link with Salford st. Joesph's but there must be dozens of Jason robinsons, ellery hanleys, Sam tomkins etc in Hulme, moss side, longsight, Horton etc. the same goes with Liverpool, you've got 3 super league clubs in widnes, warrington and st helens all on the doorstep of the city of Liverpool and it's urban areas, huge potential in both cities.

#170 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

However, Manchester is not slap bang in the middle of the "heartlands". In my experience and opinion, most of Manchester is "union" though all of it is dominated by soccer. I went to secondary school in Salford and we played union, and I reckon that even today, a count of schools in Manchester proper ( not a "greater Manchester that included Wigan and Oldham) "union" schools significantly outnumber "league" schools by a good margin.

#171 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,456 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

threads culminate in you making 60-70% of posts,

And yet it feels higher.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#172 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

However, Manchester is not slap bang in the middle of the "heartlands". In my experience and opinion, most of Manchester is "union" though all of it is dominated by soccer. I went to secondary school in Salford and we played union, and I reckon that even today, a count of schools in Manchester proper ( not a "greater Manchester that included Wigan and Oldham) "union" schools significantly outnumber "league" schools by a good margin.

I don't doubt it for a second that rugby union dominates the secondary schools in Manchester, just like it does in west Cumbria where I grew up when I went to school, but and I've no idea in the money and organization needed to setup a amateur side in Manchester, the likes of Salford city reds working in conjunction with Manchester city council, sport England and say BARLA could establish an amateur side in say Hulme or longsight along the lines of a kells or hensingham with various age groups, which would be a huge first step in developing rugby league in Manchester.

#173 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

It's always puzzled me how a big city like Manchester slap bang in the middle of the "heartlands" doesn't have any amateur/junior rugby league setup like you'd find in Leeds, hull, Bradford etc.

So much is down to history and especially the tussle between Rugby League and Soccer or Union.

Manningham went over to soccer and there's little amateur RL on that north side of Bradford.

Leeds became successful even though they were "out of town" up in headingley. the development of north Leeds was as a middle class area and with that came Grammar schools, School RU and old boys clubs, so there's been little amateur RL development in north Leeds until these last few years.

In the same way that the manchester conrurbation has patches of RL in Salford, Swinton, Oldham etc so do Bradford and Leeds.

Hull however is a city with I think a full spread of RL across the board but i will leave the Hull lads to confirm or correct.

#174 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

I'm all for rich men pumping money into the game in principle.

I know you know this but will just use a reply to you as a vehicle to suggest that if Koukash starts outbidding the top clubs for their players and strengthens Salford then all we will get is musical chairs and someone else will go into a decline.

If he has £500K a year to chuck away then better chucked at RL development across Salford/manchester.

I may be doing him a dis-service, he may be keen on building the club's strength long term, but then again he may simply want a winner now and that means stripping the best players off the other clubs.

At least Snape stripped them from Union

Some from Union - Watkins/Coulman/Fielding but Hesketh/Dixon/Gill/Charlton etc were RL. However there is some good material now available in RU & the Dr should look there. At Sale for instance Powell would be a good buy & surely we could get a Golf Buggy Co to sponsor him. Would also entice some Sale Fans to watch as well.

#175 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

The jury is out on McGoldrick, Foran, Mauro and possibly O'Dwyer.

all arranged pre Koukash

#176 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

He's not broken any rules yet , and only been at the helm since the beginning of Feb.
He's doing a good job of keeping the profile of the Club up both at local level on BBC, on Sky & in the RL press. He's annoying a few of the old guard and fans of top 6 clubs irked by his brash approach
He's no afraid to speak his mind , but alot of what has been said must have come from Chalmers ,Lowe & Farish , especially about the disparity between English & NRL budgets.
some posters on here have already labelled him a liabilty & spendfrith? he's not spent anything yet.

As for Veivers I was a big fan of his through the last 18 months as he did a great job of acting the ' business as usual ' when pointedly it was anything but .
His sacking was cruel , but unfortunately he was the most pivotal decision maker in the club playing wise and there was no future squad building around him if ultimately he wasn't Koukash's man . His existing squad wasn't responding to him and and they have a bearing on his removal .

If anyone thing he's causing havoc now , they must be worried about what he will do in an actual close season ..

#177 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

He's not broken any rules yet , and only been at the helm since the beginning of Feb.
He's doing a good job of keeping the profile of the Club up both at local level on BBC, on Sky & in the RL press. He's annoying a few of the old guard and fans of top 6 clubs irked by his brash approach
He's no afraid to speak his mind , but alot of what has been said must have come from Chalmers ,Lowe & Farish , especially about the disparity between English & NRL budgets.
some posters on here have already labelled him a liabilty & spendfrith? he's not spent anything yet.

As for Veivers I was a big fan of his through the last 18 months as he did a great job of acting the ' business as usual ' when pointedly it was anything but .
His sacking was cruel , but unfortunately he was the most pivotal decision maker in the club playing wise and there was no future squad building around him if ultimately he wasn't Koukash's man . His existing squad wasn't responding to him and and they have a bearing on his removal .

If anyone thing he's causing havoc now , they must be worried about what he will do in an actual close season ..

He is certainly unorthodox in his approach to club ownership. At Wakefield, he left the comfort of the directors' box and walked round to join the Salford faithful on the freezing cold terraces. He was greeted with a chorus of "There's only one Marwan Koukash" and fans shaking his hand and patting his back. There was clear adulation. Justin Bieber, eat your heart out! :D

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#178 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Some from Union - Watkins/Coulman/Fielding but Hesketh/Dixon/Gill/Charlton etc were RL. However there is some good material now available in RU & the Dr should look there. At Sale for instance Powell would be a good buy & surely we could get a Golf Buggy Co to sponsor him. Would also entice some Sale Fans to watch as well.

Always thought Andy Powell could have made a good go of RL. Very direct, hard runner, think Nobby was trying to get him to Crusaders.

#179 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

He is certainly unorthodox in his approach to club ownership. At Wakefield, he left the comfort of the directors' box and walked round to join the Salford faithful on the freezing cold terraces. He was greeted with a chorus of "There's only one Marwan Koukash" and fans shaking his hand and patting his back. There was clear adulation. Justin Bieber, eat your heart out! :D

I read that he did that on Twitter and thought it was a great move.

I think he's doing all the right things but one coach - doofus at Widnes - is starting to get on my nerves with his bitching.

Edited by Saintslass, 11 March 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#180 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Not the first club owner to do this.http://www.dailymail...kids-games.html

I would like to think someone can give a more positive example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users