Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Raiders v Town

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,685 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

And "kid" if you get the chance to see the tries again I think you will find that Calderwood didn't step in touch. On another occasion Calderwood jumped up in the air from the field of play and knocked the ball back inside to a supporting Town player who passed it to another who had a clear scoring chance but the TJ said he had jumped from outside the field of play. Again that will also be on the DVD of the match, I', sure. Yes, Mr Leahy made mistakes and was bit picky but he made mistakes for and against both teams. Barrows first try was scored off a forward pass as was one of Town's in the second half. So all in all I'd say he was pretty even handed and with any referee I think Town would still have run out winners.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#42 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

without a doubt Keith I thought the ref was just about right most of the time although a bit harsh with the sin binnings on both sides

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#43 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

I thought Andrew Dawson was your best go forward player had a hakf decent game stood up to a big pack well

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#44 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

He was definitely in touch. Even the town fan next to me said his foot was on the line. I'll wait to see the dvd also. Wasn't really focusing on where Calderwood was standing when he flicked it back so won't comment on that. Was stood on the halfway line so can't really comment on the forward pass either I guess wasn't in line enough.

As I said in my post, Town were clearly the better side today.

#45 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

Holty said in his Interview post game that the squad are good enough to beat anyone in this league but just arent performing. Barrow are a great club and I really want you guys staying up but you just dont seem to have the quality in the team
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#46 mjc

mjc
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

holty was peeved with the result,the way he was talking he said there would be changes to your team,he thought players were talking the talk but not walking the walk.

Changes ? unless he got some new players up his sleeve i cant see what changes we can make that will make 1 bit off difference

#47 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

We were awful today. Every high ball (including the kick off) caused us problems.
Usually I can find a reason to be cheerful but I'm struggling today. The referee did us no favours, but why should he? We were indisciplined and I think the reason for that was because we couldn't cope with Towns speed at the play the ball.
I'm going to bed now, hopefully things will look better in the morning.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#48 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

I hate to say it but we just arn't good enough. There isn't two ways about it. Its not that the players arn't trying enough its just they don't have the ability.

A lot of things did go against us today. Mark Calderwood will probably be the best winger in the world if he's allowed to step into touch and stroll in for a try more often. Referee was incredibly inconsistent, some of his decisions were baffling. He gave them so much longer to hold on than ourselves and for some reason he only blew for Barrows offsides not Workingtons but Town were much better today and would of put 50 past us if they had a proper half back playing and Mattinson.

Only positive from today IMO was Danny Jones. Was up against Brett Philips in the second row and didn't give him an inch. Every time he got the ball he was on him in a flash down the legs and stopped him in his tracks. Considering he's very young he did exceptionally well against someone much physically bigger.

If 3 players can't stop Stack from a standing start and only 5 yards to run in then we seriously have a problem, that was embarassing at the start of the second half. We were also always going to tire against them. Having 2 forwards on the bench was always going to be our downfall. Against Town who have a much better pack we should of had Finch at 13 to allow us to get the ball out more often. Then again our backs arn't going to beat anyone for pace or strength apart from Clay.

I don't think the forwards are the biggest problem, its the backs. I think the props are the issue in the forwards. Harrison, K Haggerty, Jones and Toal is good enough for this division we just need better props. In the backs as I say there isn't a threat, not enough pace strength or skill.

Its worrying the lack of tries we have scored. 2 of our tries have been Clay interceptions. Which is nearly 30% of them which speaks volumes.

I do think if people don't turn upto games because we are losing are exceptionally fickle. In late 2010 and 2011 we were losing games due to not putting effort in which is unacceptable. But every fan should support the lads home and away as the effort is there are they are working hard to be the best they can be, unfortunately I don't think the best they can be is good enough I'm afraid.

if we hadn't had a shocker in the first half it would have been atleast 60. I disagree with your comments on the ref. He was the typical of the poor standard of officials in RL nowadays but he was same for both teams.

#49 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

And "kid" if you get the chance to see the tries again I think you will find that Calderwood didn't step in touch. On another occasion Calderwood jumped up in the air from the field of play and knocked the ball back inside to a supporting Town player who passed it to another who had a clear scoring chance but the TJ said he had jumped from outside the field of play. Again that will also be on the DVD of the match, I', sure. Yes, Mr Leahy made mistakes and was bit picky but he made mistakes for and against both teams. Barrows first try was scored off a forward pass as was one of Town's in the second half. So all in all I'd say he was pretty even handed and with any referee I think Town would still have run out winners.

Hulme's scoot from dummy half in the first half was never held up - ball was down and how he gave it held up baffles me. And Calderwood was never in touch I've just watched it in super slow mo B)

#50 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

forgot about hulmes disallowed try. you could actually see the ball on the ground and we were stood on half way. it was a ridiculous decision. calders wasnt on the line either.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#51 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Holty said in his Interview post game that the squad are good enough to beat anyone in this league but just arent performing. Barrow are a great club and I really want you guys staying up but you just dont seem to have the quality in the team

is holty mental?

his biggest mistake is not re-signing james gordon.
he had heart and would tackle anyone.

#52 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

James Gordon decided he couldnt commit to the training regime mate it wasnt Holty's decision !!!!

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#53 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

forgot about hulmes disallowed try. you could actually see the ball on the ground and we were stood on half way. it was a ridiculous decision. calders wasnt on the line either.

Must be a good Specsavers in workington.

#54 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,685 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hulme's scoot from dummy half in the first half was never held up - ball was down and how he gave it held up baffles me. And Calderwood was never in touch I've just watched it in super slow mo B)

That decision was made by the TJ and it looked a shocking decision. I think half the problems on the field are because the TJ's don't watch what they should be watching to give referees a bit more help.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#55 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Come on Barrowraiderskid your team where lying on that mutch you could here them snoring in the stand.

Reading his post I think he was at a different game.

#56 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

without a doubt Keith I thought the ref was just about right most of the time although a bit harsh with the sin binnings on both sides

Some ridiculous decisions for the binnings. Stack got a warning of the TJ for charging the kicker, even though he hit him as he bloody kicked it. Your first was deserved as you were on a warning, the second one was a joke. Your player put himself in the line but he had to be somewhere while getting back, was a joke yellow card.

#57 Penno

Penno
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

The best team won, well done Workington.

Ref made some strange decisions both ways, but don't they always.

Lets hope for a better performance against Dewsbury and then Whitehaven.

#58 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,685 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

The best team won, well done Workington.

Ref made some strange decisions both ways, but don't they always.

Lets hope for a better performance against Dewsbury and then Whitehaven.

Especially Whitehaven. Lol

#59 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

ha ha nice one buddy - Nowhere near Workington mate - Laptop with DVD and super slow motion - not that you needed it so see !!!

#60 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

steevie wonder could see that the ball was grounded. im sorry but it wasnt even close to being held up.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users