Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

poor 1st half from town

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Well that was a shadow of the first half performance against the eagles last week. We just havent got going at all. Barrow there for the taking but we just aren't at the races so far .

#2 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Blue white army town town

#3 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

2nd half much better thank god. Well done town

#4 bobg

bobg
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

IMO Barrow came to mix it and didn't have the power, Barrow pack very much second best and tried to spoil all the time, take out Harrison & Campbell they have not got much, Town are streets ahead, keep it going and a few more of these wins will come, Walne, Stack & Dowes really outstanding today.

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

A wins a win but gee talk about having chances to nail a team down !!! Hope the new signing is unwrapped , he is desperately needed in the half back spot to join Lupton who is looking lively .Walne was great today ,Brett Phillips and Stack to , and Callum was excellent . Dowes some warm and some stone cold. Id worry if I was Barra

Edited by DavidM, 03 March 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#6 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

At half time I commented how we seem to make hard work of it against teams we expect to beat but in the second half we came out, upped our game and blew Barrow away. If we put the first half of last week together with today's second half it would have been a cricket score.

A lot of good performances today and all the young lads were on top song. Walne, Acton, the two Phillips, Morris, Hulme, are all settling in very well and Kris Coward is getting better and better every game. Peter Lupton looks a lot fitter than last season and it is showing in his performances and I would have Brett Carter before any fullback in this league. No weak links today and a crowd of 972.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#7 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

totally disagree about dowes, he had a nightmare. adam walne was the pick of the forwards, callum phillips was outstanding 2nd half and i thought olstrum had a really good game. 1st half we coughed up too much ball and let a below average side stay with us, 2nd half we controlled the game and although i think we were still only in 2nd gear we ran over the top of barrow, who im afraid will be playing championship 1 rugby next year. i also thought coward had a very good game today and him and walne just steadied us up. barrows only player who caused us troubles was liam harrison and he was still outplayed by stack and phillips, next week is a very winnable game if we perform to the standard we can. overall very pleased with the win, but weve played better this year and lost.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#8 Townvic

Townvic
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Plays half back or centre😃
STILL Keeping the Faith in more ways than one...though others may fall away.... Oh yes I am

Posted Image

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Aye that was the worst I've seen us ! They are doomed on that showing , a top side would have put 70 on them minimum with them chances . We still have to realise that very rarely in this league are you gonna run over defences with sheer barge , but we revert to it far to often .

Edited by DavidM, 03 March 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#10 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

i was a bit nervy before this one ,and after the first 20 mins i had good reason to be lol.we were a tad lethargic till we found our feet and got going.our props were awesome today bar for Ewan who seemed a little of the pace ,although his 2nd stint was far better than his first.great pass off Morris for Calders up the wing,we started to show some nice touches in the 2nd half when we had a bit of a roll on.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#11 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Adam Walne was my mom followed by Callum Phillips thought Walne and Acton got us the momentum back that got us on the front foot. Id like to see Coward start and Thacks back to coming off the bench
Lets have another win next week...
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#12 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Bet the penalty count is interesting reading , old Leahy caned them big style !!

#13 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

big adam was my pick of a good bunch aswell.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#14 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Plays half back or centre

who are you talking about townvic?a new signing?
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#15 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Plays half back or centre��

Edited by bomber is god, 03 March 2013 - 05:48 PM.

COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#16 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

I said a few times today that i feel more comfortable when we have Acton,Walne and Coward on than i do when we have our more experienced players on.IE Thackray and Dowes. Dowes was playing like a bloody stand off today.

#17 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yeah i agree that barrow fans to be worried on that showing. Something even worse for barrow was be small group of fans knocking the drink back using foul language verbally abusing individual players. They let themselves down.

#18 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Barra reminded me of shaven 2010 last season ,look ok passing it around all pretty but no grunt up front ,sadly lacking a few props,oh and well done kaighan going in 3rd man and throwing a fist very brave of you.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#19 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

it was the same with dandy on callum, trying to take him out late because he was getting schooled by a lad playing only his 5th pro game. today confirmed one thing though, not one of the barrow players who left town in the last 2 years are anywhere near good enough for the step up.

Edited by wonky, 03 March 2013 - 06:15 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#20 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

it was the same with dandy on callum, trying to take him out late because he was getting schooled by a lad playing only his 5th pro game. today confirmed one thing though, not one of the barrow players who left town in the last 2 years are anywhere near good enough for the step up.

i always liked Backer would you not have him Wonky?
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users