Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

poor 1st half from town

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Brett is going all the way , he just has everything .

heard about callum when he played for that west cumbria u18,s team the other year when they won that league him and olstrum where the 2 star players in that team if i remember right

#62 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

My own MOM was Lupton but it could have been 3 or 4 of them. Some of our passing is still wayward to say the least.......
Really hope this new guy is a half back as Coyle still has yet to convince me he can be the man to lead us round the park.
It was a good result in the end though.

I had Lupton down for Mom too and I thought Morris came back really strongly after last week and his partnership with Calders is really starting to take off. Couldn't believe the change in Dowes, probably neither could our players as they certainly weren't expecting any off-loads. But good second stint by him and nice offload for Luptons try, much rather see that than just trundling it up. Thought it very funny when the crowd booed Brett for missing the last kick. Thought Stackie set the tone for the second half with his burst through first minute, great stuff.

#63 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

I had Lupton down for Mom too and I thought Morris came back really strongly after last week and his partnership with Calders is really starting to take off. Couldn't believe the change in Dowes, probably neither could our players as they certainly weren't expecting any off-loads. But good second stint by him and nice offload for Luptons try, much rather see that than just trundling it up. Thought it very funny when the crowd booed Brett for missing the last kick. Thought Stackie set the tone for the second half with his burst through first minute, great stuff.

Yeah Dowes did well in his second stint. If we can get the ball wider faster it will give our wide lads a bit more chance to do summat and we tried a few moves to make that happen this week. Stack always gives his all and doesn't need to prove anything to anyone.

It was a surprise to see Oldham getting stuffed by North Wales in the choo choo cup.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#64 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Yeah Dowes did well in his second stint. If we can get the ball wider faster it will give our wide lads a bit more chance to do summat and we tried a few moves to make that happen this week. Stack always gives his all and doesn't need to prove anything to anyone.

It was a surprise to see Oldham getting stuffed by North Wales in the choo choo cup.

I see Brad Hepi's All Golds lost and his son Tyla Hepi from HKR was in the 17.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#65 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

the way hull are playing I think a few will be dropped and York won't say no to them

Lads

You are right we won't be saying no, why would we when it's crucial for all clubs to stay up, having said that we have made some good signings such as Brownie & Scott(ex-Sheffield), Jason Golden -Quins, Tom Carr-Fev so have tried to build a good squad. Mixed performances to date, excellent against Swinton and Fax, awful at Batley and not enough firepower vs Sheffield.

Looking forward to the Town visit, always a tough game and we used to have some good banter on here in early years of Knights.

Many of you coming down Sunday ?

Andy

Edited by ANDYPK, 03 March 2013 - 10:06 PM.

Posted Image

#66 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

I thought the first 20 we were too static and didn't gain any real momentum going forward so when we went wide we didn't do it on the back of anything. The defence was pretty smart most of the game apart from the markers for their first try. The sharp pass inside kills a lazy marker! and the other try was an intercept! When the 2 big lumps came on it give us a real momentum going forward and let Callum jump out and cause a bit of doubt to hold the defence up. The speed of Acton and Walnes PTB is very good and thats whet they gave away a lot of penalties, the last 20 minutes of the first half really took it out of Barrows forwards. 2nd half we just took over on the back of great forward play and quick PTBs, Callum had a couple of good scoots from DH on the back of them and it gives the likes if olstrum and Lupton some room to play in which we exploited well. I think its a littl eunfair on Coyle today as he got some shocking passes where he just had to take what was coming to him, agree he looks a little underdone and as the season progresses the teams timing and understanding will improve. Think we just need to realise that teams needs bashed up a little longer in this league before we can use the expansive plays for the strike players to hit good lines. Overall a very good 2nd half performance and I think the introduction of Walne and Acton was the catalyst for the change.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#67 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Sorry mate but there's a lot of fans don't like this system even some at clubs that are linked but the bottom line is that every club had the same opportunity to get a link up. We have only used the 1 lad from Widnes today and he has played 5 games for us now so no matter what system you want it wont affect us as much as others.

Oh im not having a go at Worky Keith,infact it sounds like you've put together a decent squad without help from another club,its just the system that im having problems with.I just dont see the need for link ups

#68 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

I see our "Ginge" Ryan MacDonald got quite a bit of game time today in Crusaders whupping of Oldham.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#69 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Walne had a great game today, runs in hard and plays the ball fast, is getting better and better the more he plays, Olstrum takes some massive hits but always come back for more big rapps for him, thought Dowes was just trying to hard in the first half, once things settled looked better and produced a great offload for one try. Thacks was quite, looked like he was carrying a knock, not his usual self. Brett C and Stacky great games. Well done lads keep it going :)
ps did the shaven win infront of two thousand fans today :lol: :lol:

#70 Townvic

Townvic
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

I was say with the 'new signing' today. Seems a nice enough bloke, clued up and like the rest of us was happier with the second half than the first. Very keen, hope he's what we are looking for
STILL Keeping the Faith in more ways than one...though others may fall away.... Oh yes I am

Posted Image

#71 Townvic

Townvic
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

I was sat with the 'new signing' today. Seems a nice enough bloke, clued up and like the rest of us was happier with the second half than the first. Very keen, hope he's what we are looking for

STILL Keeping the Faith in more ways than one...though others may fall away.... Oh yes I am

Posted Image

#72 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Thacks was quiet, looked like he was carrying a knock, not his usual self.

Think your right otherwise he would have gone all the way when he broke clear towards the end ;)

#73 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

thacks thought he was calders yesterday, kicking through from his own 10 then making that break at the end. hell be going for quick taps on the 20 soon
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#74 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

he looked to be nursing a groin strain.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!