Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Crusaders Slay Oldham

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 691 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

A rampant Crusaders side destroy a defensively poor Oldham side.

Several months ago I tipped North Wales Crusaders for automatic promotion and from today's evidence my opinion has not changed. Crusader are a championship side with very good facilities and a very good commercial approach.

The first 20 mins was a close battle with Oldham crashing over to claim the first points but the difference today was that the Crusaders defensive display was awesome. Oldham never troubled the North Wales line and when they did have the foresight to visit to the Crusader's try line they were met by a strong defensive wall of proud welsh red shirts.

Oldham were lackluster, flat and defensively very poor. Oldham's right side combination didn't work with the right centre having a game to forget. we allowed the majority of the Crusaders eight try's to sail passed an unopposed Oldham defense. With a minute to go before the half, Oldham's right centre throw a pass out of the tackle in his own 20 and straight in to the arms of the opposition who in turn scored on the hooter to go in 18 - 8 up.

The first ten minutes of the second half killed the game for Oldham, shocking defense from Oldham saw us down 36 - 8 within ten minutes of the second half.

It is important to remained balanced but I am struggling to find positives from today's poor display. After an off season of "Propaganda" we go and burst the bubble with a aberrant performance like that, and of course you could say it is a new team playing its first competitive match together and the Crusaders have retained the majority of last season squad but with the bookies tipping both teams for a strong season, there was no evidence of that at all from Oldham.

I know a lot of people made the journey to watch the opening match and we all left, disappointed and with a feeling of "Here Go Again" it is essential not to jump to conclusions after 80 minutes of rugby but the only team gaining automatic promotion this season is North Wales Crusaders!!!!

I will wait for the coaches comments but if official's, players and coaches read this please note how disappointed the fans feel after that performance. . . . it was an embarrassment. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Edited by oldham13, 03 March 2013 - 06:18 PM.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#2 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Not a very good start but its the league that matters.

It is obvious we need some experienced players.

If we are going to be told to play DR players with a few days notice in front of our signings on a one year contract then there is going to be a lot of unsettled players in the squad. Players need to gel together to create a settled side that work together the DR system does anything but that.

We are now nothing but a feeder side to a SL club.

Clubs outside Super League will suffer under this system

#3 shaw llewellyn

shaw llewellyn
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

What happens when you change a winning team?

Today gave us the answer. DR may be here to stay but I fail to see how the 4 players today improved the team from the game at Rochdale. I would rather Lepori at full back than on the wing just to accomodate someone who needs game time from Salford. And did any of the 4 offer more than Neil Roden would have done?

Not a good day.

#4 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

First 20 and last 20 it was even stevens.Either side of half time we were poor, lacking composure, direction and cohesion.Didn't see much to impress from the Salford reserves. 27 Full back doesn't like taking the ball up and 28 Prop is too small for me and was pushed back a number of times and had little go forward. Can't say I noticed the other two.

League not started yet so time to try these things.Naylor and Spencer will learn from this i'm sure.
One for all and all for the one

#5 bigred

bigred
  • Coach
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

Is anyone seriously surprised?
The club appoints a second rate coach who was at best an average player from the worst club in sport league.
We then allow them to send us garbage from their under 20's who are thrown straight into the team!
It's a disaster and will only get worse!

#6 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

What happens when you change a winning team?

Today gave us the answer. DR may be here to stay but I fail to see how the 4 players today improved the team from the game at Rochdale. I would rather Lepori at full back than on the wing just to accomodate someone who needs game time from Salford. And did any of the 4 offer more than Neil Roden would have done?

Not a good day.

What four players lost their places to play four dummies from Salford?

I thought this season I would have had respect for Naylor? there as been a lot of talk about him being his own man but obviousley he is being dictated to by Salford regarding who plays.

Having been to both pre season friendlies and been enthusiastic about the coming season this result is a disaster, how to destroy a team in one easy lesson?

Dual reg will never work,

I have been an Oldham fan since I was 6 years old going with my Grandad in 1952. and never felt so sad about the future of rugby league in general.

RIP OLDHAM ROUGHYEDS.

#7 bigred

bigred
  • Coach
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Fold the club now!
It would be better to live off our memories than be subjected to the whims of a ###### poor SL club!

#8 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Dual Reg is the death of RL outside SL. I waited to be proved wrong that Salford would not have input, and with this, it has proved that the dog is wagging the tail. Not good.

#9 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 988 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Don't know how this might affect you Biffos but.....

http://www.reds.co.u...ny-with-veivers
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#10 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

I also tipped Crusaders to win league, made some great signings. Also they have not tied themselves to a Super League club. Obviously no unrest in their camp and this may prove to be the deciding factor

#11 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Maybe Naylor picked all 4 DR players for an unimportant cup game to prove a point. That they are not good enough for CH1. Ever the optimist

#12 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

No game is unimportant.

#13 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Agree but the point is i'd rather find out the DR players are not ready to step up to CH1 level now than in the league.

#14 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 704 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Disappointing...an offseason full of all the right press and 2 promising wins following by a bad defeat in our biggest test...big reality check...lets hope it's a 1 off...

#15 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Gutted at the result but thought we would lose as soon as I saw the team with the inclusion of the 4 DR players . We were told that the club would be looking to take players on season long loans rather than have DR players coming and going disrupting match prep and team morale so I hope that this was not a sign of things to come but a case of Scott using this match to have a look at the DR players to assess which , if any , are worth persevering with for the league season .

We will find out soon enough if this was his reasoning but I still feel this was a mistake as this match was always going to be tough and not the time to experiment .This performance and result has thrown away all the optimism and momentum we had built up before this match , has given a massive boost to Crusaders , has effectively ruined the chance of an appearance in the Rosebowl final and been a huge letdown for the loyal fans who made the trip .

Maybe I was a bit too optimistic about our prospects for the season on the back of a couple of pre season friendlies but by the same logic there is no point in throwing in the towel after one defeat .Now is the time to regroup , get our best team out on the pitch for another tough match next week and hopefully get the win to get us back on track and ready for the league campaign . It doesn't make things right but our main priority before today was the league campaign and that has not changed .

#16 dogthebountyhunter

dogthebountyhunter
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

If I was you guys I would pull out of this DR rubbish, our guys are Crusaders, our guys play for their shirts. It is a joke that a useless Super League can dictate to you.

Especially as you are equal to, if not better historically than them.

Imagine if in 1895 they had internet forums.............rugby league would not exist!

#17 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

What four players lost their places to play four dummies from Salford?

I thought this season I would have had respect for Naylor? there as been a lot of talk about him being his own man but obviousley he is being dictated to by Salford regarding who plays.

Having been to both pre season friendlies and been enthusiastic about the coming season this result is a disaster, how to destroy a team in one easy lesson?

Dual reg will never work,

I have been an Oldham fan since I was 6 years old going with my Grandad in 1952. and never felt so sad about the future of rugby league in general.

RIP OLDHAM ROUGHYEDS.

Only three players from Salford played this afternoon in the Oldham side. Those who lost their places were Bloomfield, Neild and Roden.

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

Only three players from Salford played this afternoon in the Oldham side. Those who lost their places were Bloomfield, Neild and Roden.

Hi Allroughyed, There were four Salford players played on Sunday plus Adam Files who is on season long loan. The players were Niall Evans, Jon Ford, and off the bench Will Hope and Jordan Walne.

#19 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

We spoke to Naylor on Saturday morning after training and he told us there were 3 going into the squad. I was that shocked at our second half performance yesterday that I didn't realise we had the four in. This makes it more shocking to the disruption to the squad, and how it's going to affect morale on the players being left out. It certainly didn't go down well with the supporters that went yesterday. It's shocking to see that we had just short of 50pts stuck up us. I fear we may well lose to the Hornets unless we get the likes of Joy, Neild Bloomfield and Cookson back in for Sunday.

Also what else left a bitter taste in the mouths of the travelling Oldham supporters yesterday, was the entry fee of £14,for what was basically a second rate cup comp. Put that in comparison with Batley V Fax last thurs night at £15, NWC seems a bit of a rip off.

Edited by allroughyed, 04 March 2013 - 09:58 AM.

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 Tony Mac

Tony Mac
  • Coach
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

I didn't go to the match so can only comment on what is being said on this thread. The first thing I would say is that I can't understand for the life of me why we would change a winning team. Forgeting for the moment that the players were DR you wouldn't put 4 players that had opnly arrived at the club on the Thursday into a team that had won the last two games. You might put one or two on the bench if you had injuries from the two previous games but I find it hard to think why you would put all four in straight away. The other thing to add would be that the changes meant 3 of the 5 back positions were different players to the week before. Having said that, gaining promotion is the goal, and maybe Scott is using the Rail Cup as an opportunity to experiment with the players.

Once again, gaining promotion is the ultimate goal of the season and, to put this into perspective, we have been beaten by the favourites to win our league, not by some also rans as has happened in the past.

Tony Mac

Nobody believes the official spokesman, but everybody trusts an unidentified source.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users