Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Crusaders Slay Oldham

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

We dont go to grounds for the facilities,we go to watch the team. £14 in my opinion for that level of RL is a rip off.

Ah! now I get it, your quite happy to; stand in the rain, in mud, on a sloping pitch, with lets face it poor facilities (but granted a good club house) for £11 or £12 + £2 if you want a seat, if there are spare ones!!. Which unless my maths is completely wrong is £13 or £14 for a seat :rolleyes: according to your post #39 above
That's OK, its the level of RL Oldham served up on the day, that's upset you is it? Because surely it cant be the level of RL that the NWC served up, because that was well worth the £14.

#42 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Ah! now I get it, your quite happy to; stand in the rain, in mud, on a sloping pitch, with lets face it poor facilities (but granted a good club house) for £11 or £12 + £2 if you want a seat, if there are spare ones!!. Which unless my maths is completely wrong is £13 or £14 for a seat :rolleyes: according to your post #39 above
That's OK, its the level of RL Oldham served up on the day, that's upset you is it? Because surely it cant be the level of RL that the NWC served up, because that was well worth the £14.

Stand up at every game mate, including last sunday, and no, it wasn't worth £14. As I said, for an extra £1 you can watch C1.

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#43 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Stand up at every game mate, including last sunday, and no, it wasn't worth £14. As I said, for an extra £1 you can watch C1.

Its what you didn't say, i.e its also £13 or £14 to sit at Whitebank!
Have you pointed out that this is, in your words 'a rip off' to ORLFC?
Whether you choose to stand in a seated ground is your choice but as the Racecourse ground is all seated that's all it should be based on.
At the end of the day nobody dragged you through the turnstile and forced you to pay.
Hopefully this wont put people off travelling down for the league fixture later in the year to support their team but if it does then it's their 'choice'. But the rent etc for the Racecourse ground that NWC are privileged to use will still have to be paid to University.

As for C1. I think on that performance you did hopefully see at least one C1 team ;).

Edited by Number 7, 07 March 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#44 AlwaysCru

AlwaysCru
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

I would rather pay an extra two quid to watch OUR players, coached by OUR coach, playing for OUR team.

Regardless of the standard of the facilities or the ground, if we have to generate funds to pay for players then I would rather pay the extra to have those who are commited to our cause, than save the odd bob here or there and instead have to watch some Super League cast offs who've rocked up into the team 48 hours earlier just because the club doesn't have to pay them.

If we always strive to do things the cheapest way possible, then you're not always going to be happy with the result.

#45 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

I would rather pay an extra two quid to watch OUR players, coached by OUR coach, playing for OUR team.

Regardless of the standard of the facilities or the ground, if we have to generate funds to pay for players then I would rather pay the extra to have those who are commited to our cause, than save the odd bob here or there and instead have to watch some Super League cast offs who've rocked up into the team 48 hours earlier just because the club doesn't have to pay them.

If we always strive to do things the cheapest way possible, then you're not always going to be happy with the result.

And then go bust and start up again just like last time

Edited by boro hornet, 08 March 2013 - 04:23 PM.

Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#46 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Your support of your team is commendable but you really do need to try to keep things in perspective. Allroughyed is entitled to his views on the cost of admission to your ground in much the same way as you are entitled to your opinions on the state of Whitebank .

And yes... it was a poor performance by us and the inclusion of the DR players at the last minute probably had a lot to do with this ...but if you don't try something new occasionally you will never learn anything or make any progress .

Most if not all Oldham supporters would prefer us to be a stand alone club but the reality is we have linked up with Salford and our priority must now be to get the best out of the arrangement.Your club has opted for a different approach and they can be congratulated for that .

You did give us a pasting last Sunday but just remember this match counts for nothing when the C1 League starts ...we comprehensively outplayed Barrow in the Challenge Cup last season but then we got hammered by Saints in the next round ... our season went from bad to worse after that and it was Barrow who had the last laugh gaining promotion . Maybe we have learned from that experience and we are now content to try out a few different options in Cup competitions to keep the squad fit and healthy and ready to go when the serious stuff begins in what will be a very short season.

I sincerely hope that you and your team believe , on the basis of this result , that we pose no threat to you or your title ambitions ... maybe we won't but the one thing I can assure you is that it won't be so easy next time we meet ...

#47 D1029

D1029
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Did the 4 dual reg players keep out 4 players that would turn our side able to beat Crusaders in the league?Not good enough in the forwards.

#48 AlwaysCru

AlwaysCru
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

I think you're missing my point ruffyed, the comment wasn't about whether or not we think we'll beat you it's about what the aspiration or aims for the club are.

It's a fine balance to put together a team fans want to get behind at a price theyre prepared to pay to watch.

My point is if clubs see DR as a way to cut costs and throw unknown players into a team at the last minute and still expect the speccies to get behind them in the same way then they're wrong.

So you then end up with a downward spiral.
It doesn't take five seconds on your forum to see what Roughyed fans really want to see is Roughyed players and quite right too... and if it costs the club a bit more to field their own players then that's what they have to deal with.

And it's no secret that the RFL cut it's funding of C1 clubs by nearly 40 percent year on year so they've all got a job on to keep their heads above water.

But that doesn't mean we should accept our league being watered down to save a couple of quid as ultimately in would then wither and die.

So going back to my original point, I willingly pay a pound or so extra so I can watch my team who win, lose or draw will fight for the shirt they are wearing.

I am delighted to see that Scott Naylor has said you won't be using any DR this weekend as it restores the integrity of the team and allows you to get behind a bunch of boys who I sincerely hope will turn St RochHelens over.

And I'm prepared to bet if I'd asked all the people who posted on your forum after last weekend if they'd give the club an extra quid to stop them having to use DR tomorrow they'd all have had their hand in their pocket.

Yes SN has said it this weekend, but with such a hefty reduction in central funding and the fact that you've actually dropped prices for this year, does that mean he'll have free reign to pick and pay his own players each week or will he have to resort to getting the freebies in from the Reds?

Look forward to seeing you at the Racecourse again this year, your Lion is a legend!

#49 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

And then go bust and start up again just like last time

Not sure we or hornets have any high ground in that regard...
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#50 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Not sure we or hornets have any high ground in that regard...

we have both been through it but both clubs have now cut their cloth were as NWC are still spending big on their squad
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#51 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Fair comments AlwaysCru but sometimes we need to take a reality check....I don't think you'll find one Oldham supporter who wants the link-up with Salford but we don't have to deal with the clubs finances , or lack of in our case . If you include the massive problem we have of trying to get Whitebank upgraded to at least minimum RFL standards it is easy to see that we don't have buckets of cash to throw at a squad big enough or good enough to be capable of challenging for promotion so maybe it was inevitable that Oldham would need to pursue the DR option whether we like it or not.

As for charging £1 or £2 extra on the gate I wouldn't mind but the club already get plenty of flak about admission charges from both home and away support given the condition of Whitebank so this is not really an option .

We were told that we would be looking more at season long loan signings rather than DR players and if this is what happens thats fine by me as the incoming player has to fight for his place in the team like everyone else and this would have little or no effect on team morale which had been so evident in our 2 previous games . I just hope that what happened at your place will not be repeated during the league season and we don't take DR players at a moments notice , unless its to cover for injuries , as I think that will result in more performances like we had to endure last Sunday and thats simply not good enough .

It remains to be seen whether the club has made the right decision but all I was trying to get over is that imo you find us a much more difficult proposition next time we meet . I certainly hope so .

Best of luck for the season .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users