TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Swinton 18 Dewsbury 23 - discuss the game here

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

No duel - reg players in the 17 for the rams today.

#2 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Swinton12-10 Rams HT
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#3 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Half time 12-14 to your lot

Source BBC Manchester

Edited by Bleep1673, 03 March 2013 - 03:48 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#4 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Oops! Thought it was ht.

Edited by Ramite, 03 March 2013 - 03:49 PM.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

#5 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Winning 23-12

[

#6 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Coach
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

Congratulations to Dewsbury. A new coach having you play attractive rugby. From a Fev fan

#7 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Well done lads another 3 points but what a ###### game to watch, dont think there was one standout player today. We need to be playing on both sides of the pitch not just down one side. We have got one the best stand offs in the league why dont we use his side of the field,hope its sorted for next week.

#8 MirfieldRams

MirfieldRams
  • Coach
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Thought we started ok and then just couldn't manage to convert our possession and chances. Half time managed to get our heads in front, after which I expected us to push on, although not as much as last week but .....

Never really took control of the second half either. Lost count of how many repeat sets we had without scoring. Positive result and thought their line defence was as good as ours has been in previous games. If they play like that all season, they will be fine.

Positives for me were
- Johnson. Lucked lively and good short kicking game. Will add a lot in the final 40 in future games.
- Spicer, Hepworth, Aizue and Walshaw I thought ran themselves into the ground.
- Morton running from our line and kicking game, starting to really come on. He is going to be key.

Could do better
- Pryce, especially for their last try
- Hale, was expecting more from him so far. Is he fit or just not quick?

Entertainment value points
- guy behind me who told ref to go and get his nappy changed while Morton setting up a kick
- the guy who went for Makali and came off worse!! I hope he's ok though.

My questions are
- is Nash just with us for a month?. If so can we keep him
- Walshaw and Jihnson both on season long loans. Can they be recalled, can we send them back (not that I want to) or are they with us all season?.

Well done boys overall, best start to a season at this level for I don't know how many years.

Bring on the Raiders
Up The Rams

Mirfield Rams

#9 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Happy to come away with the points from a useful swinton side who are no mugs . still a lot of improvement is needed in our play but you can see the potential is there . I think that once our half back selection decides itself then we will take a lot of beating . Ben johnson made his first start today and looked quick and has a very good short kicking game . i believe when he gets up to speed and his teammates learn his game then improvement in midfield will come .Highlight for me today was when chris bridge decided to put a big hitup on a charging makalie during the first half , bridge had to be helped off the field not knowing whether he was playing for warrington , swinton , or wagga wagga .
I had a word with makalie after the game and asked him about his age and he said he didnt know how old he was so i asked him when he was born , he said " in the summer" . I then asked him where he was born and he said " on a beach " . i didnt ask him any more questions after that .

#10 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thought the game today had far too many failed attempted passes when there was no need to, the score could have been totally different with the trys been given as held up and four missed kicks, a lot of pressure near their line first ten minutes but no points scored then let them in twice before taking a bit of control for a hard fought deserved win

#11 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Also must say it was nice to see a good turnout of our supporters and the players mentioned it after the game

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

A win's a win as coaches are apt to say. We never really do turn it on in away games like we do at home so i wasn't really surprised or disappointed in anything today, despite our temporary shutdown on the 20 minute mark. In fact it was encouraging to see how well we could come back from 12-0 down to be ahead by half time, seemingly effortlessly. Then we came out in the second half really fired up and it looked like we would steamroller them, but we didn't.

There is bags of potential in this side and i do hope that GM can find the key to turning it on. We do require a more discernible game plan, from my viewpoint at least, and we still seem to lack leadership in their 20. we did score from some good kicks but I also saw this as something of a weakness, exposing the limited nature of our other attacking options; there is little variety or variation in our ball-in-hand attacking play and I think they found this easy to cope with.

We do DESPERATELY need a decent goalkicker though. this will cost us points and matches this season if it can't be addressed.

The half-back partnership does need settling and I expect Johnson and Brown to emerge as the preferred option; Coleman did OK today but he doesn't really inspire me, his passing is way too slow (reminiscent of Patch) and, like too many others he runs on the diagonal before passing, thus compressing the options for the team.

Hale hasn't impressed me so far, especially if what I hear about his cost is correct. Overall we seem to be a little short of pace in the threequarters, but maybe that will improve on harder grounds.

The forwards were generally very good today, although once again I have a question mark about Gallacher's consistency: he missed two vital tackles, has problems with his timing coming out of the line and loses too much ball; he may be a skilful player but I would like to see Tebb or Tonks get a chance too.

Plenty to be encouraged about, particularly when compared with previous seasons. Barrow will be a test of our consistency whilst Leigh will be a real measure of our quality.

It's so much better to be looking forward to matches rather than dreading them though, isn't it?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 ricochet

ricochet
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

I said on a previous thread that any win today would do me against a handy Swinton side. Having come back from a twelve point defecit to win I will stick to my guns. no one can deny that they deserved a BP today and will i'm sure turn a few sides over at home this year.

I agree with BSJ that colemans distribution is laboured at best and in general Swintons PTB's were quicker than ours all match. We need to speed up in this area and catch defenders on the back foot. I lost count of the number of times Pryce had his back to the play and was caught out by quick runs from dummy half causing us to have to rely on scramble defence too often for my liking.

That said another win away from home means points in the bag and already a healthy position in the table well away from the dreaded battle to avoid the drop. Early days I know but points in the bag are vital early in the season.
Ricochet!

#14 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Good result, thought Pryce didn't really look arsed. Hopefully morisson can get him playing and doing a bit more work.
Posted Image

#15 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Another good win for you lot.... surpise (to me anyway) package this year. You lot must be buzzin
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#16 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

A good away win. Really pleased with the start we have made. Looking forward to barrow game. Would like to see Tonks back in the team I think there is alot more to cone from him.
Robin where did you think Dewsbury would finish?

[

#17 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

I might be wrong but the only way I can see Karl Pryce getting more involved in a game, especially a game like today is to swap him to the other wing. He never goes looking for the ball I think he is either lazy or unfit or both and just seems to make up the numbers, looks like Glen has a hard job on his hands to even try to get him to look a little interested let alone do a job he gets paid to do

#18 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

If pryce wants a ticket back into superleague then he needs to prove himself and play well like.......tansy.!!!!

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#19 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

I might be wrong but the only way I can see Karl Pryce getting more involved in a game, especially a game like today is to swap him to the other wing. He never goes looking for the ball I think he is either lazy or unfit or both and just seems to make up the numbers, looks like Glen has a hard job on his hands to even try to get him to look a little interested let alone do a job he gets paid to do

Was Pryce on the wing? I think it is no longer a position to hide and take a rest. I always enjoy the way our wingers put in that extra graft to make a difference defensively, often taking the first couple of plays up when we are running the ball out.
I would have thought Pryce would have played centre.

Having said that, you lot are obviously playing well, and getting these away wins at challenging places, good effort.

Edited by distantdog, 03 March 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#20 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Pryce was at centre I just meant on the other side of the pitch or left centre instead of right and hopefully get more involved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users