- - - - -

todays game

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

thought your boys put up a good performance today and you will upset a few sides this season . shame more swinton fans dont turn up to support you . best of luck for the rest of the season especialy when you play batley .

#2 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Well done today lads, the game was within our grasp but we're just not quite there yet.
Don't anyone try and tell me that team did not care. A man that tries to hit Mikali Aizu like that, come off looking like he's been hit by a truck and still comes out and does it all again in the second half does not do it because he doesn't care!
I think the turning point was the loss of Brad Dwyer just before half time.

I've said it before, this team will get better and better and when we do, we're gonna take some stopping!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#3 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Well said Loyalion.
We only had one fit sub in the second half and i thought the lads played very well today. And the man you speak about had a very eventful game with a knock on at his first touch of the ball and then being trapped in goal early on. But was involved in all three tries we scored as well as being hit by the Aizue collision just before half time so he was fully commited to the cause today as were the other sixteen in the team.
It was great to see so few penalties infact there was only one in the first half but the Rams took the count 4-2.
Thought the referee had a good game today

#4 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Disagree Ian his understanding of off side was limited and he only tried to even the penalty count in the last minutes of the second half.
Great performance by the lads and I agree the loss of Dwyer upset us.

#5 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

I would say a fantastic performance in terms of effort and commitment. Our defence was outstanding and our mental strength is improving
All their tries came down our right channel. Two were lucky bounces right over Rysn Shaws head, but we dud look exposed there defensively.
What we did lack throughout was respect for the ball. We gave it away cheaply
We also lacked any idea in attack. The first fifteen minutes were really pedestrian. Then we played some great rugby....and then Dwyer got hurt..and we became disorganised again.
I noticed Danny Bridge didnt return or Bennion I think ,as well as Dwyer, so no doubts our backs were against the wall.
Dewsbury hit the ball a bit faster than us and their defence was completely committed.
A score line which reflected the game but another home match we could've won slips away.

#6 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

The effort was there for all to see. Was really impressed by Chris Bridge. that lad has got a big future in the Championship. ;-) as said we didnt give up and almost scored the try of the season with some champagne rugby.

the lad on the wing had an absolute nightmare. If we would of had any backs on the bench i imagine he'd have been warming his seat after the first half. but I think the score flattered us as they missed at least 4 kicks.

we stand a chance of avoiding the drop but we need to work hard and show that spirit week in week out.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#7 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

.....so......now we have a bit of an injury crisis, this is where the partnership with the Wolves will work for us as we can bring in different players and not have to put water carriers, retired player and local amateurs on the bench!
We were exposed wide on the right Barnie but I put the first 2 down to the inside cover not tackling that rather tricky number 20! + 1 bounced clean over Ryan Shaw's head.
Dewsbury have a big side and ran hard all day but I was impressed with Barlow's work rate when he came on and Daz's as usual.
We will be rapid in the warmer weather and with a good kicking game can run the bigger sides around and tire them!

#8 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Barlow had no problem with aizue...he just put hin down. Very impressive tackling and strength from Josh

#9 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

I think defence wise we we were outstanding today, I think Dewsbury had probably 70% of the posession and three of their tries were from kicks to the corner. Shaw had a "bad day at the office" but we have seen that with other players as well, it just happens....... Still not runing from deep - when attacking the team is too flat. At the final whistle both teams were dead on their feet not surprising as it was a tought hard battle - looking at the Dewsbury team at the end, gave me the impression with 5 more minutes we would have scored again........The #20 for Dewsbury had a good game - I do not think he got tackled more than once and was running the show.

I just think if we can sharpen up the attack, run from deep, then there will not be many teams that will beat Swinton.........

Good to see the friendly exchanges between the Swinton and Dewsbury players after the final whistle.

#10 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

I think one easy improvement would be to put ainscough back at stand off and mendieka back in the centre
Ainscough is a class stand off. Hes wasted there at centre and mendieka doesn't create the gaps that he can

#11 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

The problem with facing a huge guy out wide close to the line is, if you hang back to cover a kick and they pass it out wide, he gets a head of steam up and there's no stopping him. If you try to get up on him quickly nobody is there to cover the kick! A good stand off will be weighing you up and if he gets it right it's virtually undefendable. And Dews sure had some large lads out wide!

#12 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

I thought we should have defended slightly better in the first 40, we were 12-0 up and should have made sure we were ahead at HT. Credit to Dewsbury, they were good and exposed the defence of(I don't want to say weakness) a couple of young players possibly lacking in confidence. Great drop goal as well, it's a pity we don't score the 1 pointers more often.

Barlow had his best game in a Swinton shirt IMO, tackled everything. Daz was his usual self, it's more surprising when he has a "standard" game these days. Alway a top quality performance from him, and Titch at FB.

Our kicking game should hopefully improve once Chaz returns to the 17. We're improving every week, come on Lions!

#13 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

...And anyone who runs at Aizue like that has got some real guts!...but he might go for the legs next time.

#14 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

Cullen watching the game again yesterday read into that what you will.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#15 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

According to today's League Express the club has had eleven applications for the job as Coach.A decision expected in the next couple of days.

#16 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

According to today's League Express the club has had eleven applications for the job as Coach. A decision expected in the next couple of days.

It would be fascinating to know who the apparent 11 application have come from. The bind moggles.

#17 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Two rumoured to be Malcolm Alker and Bobbie Goulding and presumably one is Ian Watson.

#18 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Enjoyed the game. I thought Swinton defended really well and deserved the bonus point.

Good luck for the season.
Posted Image

#19 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Two rumoured to be Malcolm Alker and Bobbie Goulding and presumably one is Ian Watson.

Well "2 out of 3 ain't bad"!

#20 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

Cullen watching the game again yesterday read into that what you will.

A big name but how the hell would the players know what he was on about!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users