TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

South Sydney prop Sam Burgess goes to extreme measures to keep himself on the park

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

WHEN big Sammy Burgess strides out for Souths in the season opener against the Roosters on Thursday night, you could forgive him for hoping the next 30 weeks will not represent a living hell for his body.

Last year, he missed just six games - smashing the myth that he is injury prone - but the untold story of how he kept his brittle body together is fascinating.

From the taboo practice of injecting himself with his own blood, to playing with a compound fracture of the middle finger, to radical stem cell injections via liposuction - he is effectively the Bunnies' version of Frankenstein's monster.

"I played 22 games last year - and I haven't a clue how I did it," the Englishman said.

More here...

http://www.courierma...x-1226589478926

Hope he gets through the Season, he needs to be in the big games in the WC

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Pure madness.
Posted Image

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Crikey, you'da though they'd be an element of self-preservation and long term thinking going on.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

Seems mad to me and raises ethical questions around the use of practices such as blood doping. It's sad that he's sacrificing his long term health for short term gain - twenty years down the line it's likely his body will be a mess and he'll suffer pain doing every day tasks.

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

he better not be "adding stuff" with his blood when he re-injects it....silly boy

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#6 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

Blood transfusions. This is what Lance Armstrong was up to. How can that not be called performance enchancing. And yet the Aussies don't see it this way.

#7 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

Blood transfusions. This is what Lance Armstrong was up to. How can that not be called performance enchancing. And yet the Aussies don't see it this way.

That blood spinning business is what Tiger Woods was up to with the Canadian doctor Tony Galea and the Feds were all over him (the doctor that is). Questionable practice at best, I imagine someone at the NRL might be having a word with Sam, especially after all the recent fuss down under about doping in Aussie sport.

But more than that, someone needs to knock some sense into the lad, and see that carrying on the way he describes and playing on with injuries is not the way to have a long career. Also sounds like his club needs to have a look at their player welfare.

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

he would'nt have done it off his own back...the club would have had to be involved..

OLDHAM RLFC

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

blood spinning

http://en.wikipedia..../Blood-spinning

OLDHAM RLFC

#10 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

It seems that it is not "performance-enhancing", but does help reduce recovery time. It seems to be a bit of a grey area at the moment. I'll reserve judgement.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#11 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

same here..

OLDHAM RLFC

#12 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

It seems that it is not "performance-enhancing", but does help reduce recovery time. It seems to be a bit of a grey area at the moment. I'll reserve judgement.

Reduce recovery time or just put it off until he reaches 30, whereby he will be no use nor ornament to anybody...?
Posted Image

#13 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Reduce recovery time or just put it off until he reaches 30, whereby he will be no use nor ornament to anybody...?

Which is why I said "I'll reserve judgement."

If it is simply "reduce recovery time", then there is no reason why he should end up crippled. If it is to mask the pain involved, then I think it is a very dangerous procedure and someone's head should roll for letting it happen or encouraging it. (In such instances, I am always reminded of Ted MacDougall, the former Man U centre forward, who famously fell out with the club after refusing pain-killing injections. Ted was right to do so!)

#14 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

The banning of the shoulder charge will help preserve Sam's body from here on in. The reason it falls to pieces so often is because he just throws his body at the attacking player with out a care for his own safety. Now he will have to control how he hits people, which will no doubt help him.

Edited by Harrigan, 04 March 2013 - 07:17 PM.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#15 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Reducing recovery time so he can back up fitter and better? In what way is this not performance enhancing.

#16 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Reducing recovery time so he can back up fitter and better? In what way is this not performance enhancing.

"Recovery" as in "fit to play". Not as in "fitter to play better". I don't understand why you can't see the difference.

#17 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

"Recovery" as in "fit to play". Not as in "fitter to play better". I don't understand why you can't see the difference.

So without this he would be able to put the same standard if performance?

Normally after intense physical effort the body needs time to recover anything that artificially reduces this recovery time (steroids etc) is performance enhancing.

Blood transfusions replace blood depleted in hemocrit with new blood rich in hemocrit . This enables the body to absorb more oxygen and thus recover quicker

This nearly destroyed cycling.

So I'll ask again in what way does this not enhance his performance over over normal techniques such as diet exercise/ active rest routines etc

#18 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

They are talking about recovery time from an injury not recovery of energy levels from game to game. If he hadn't suffered injuries he wouldn't have had his blood "spun".

Edited by steef, 04 March 2013 - 09:50 PM.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

People are allowed to take things and do things that enhance performance.

#20 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

So without this he would be able to put the same standard if performance?

Normally after intense physical effort the body needs time to recover anything that artificially reduces this recovery time (steroids etc) is performance enhancing.

Blood transfusions replace blood depleted in hemocrit with new blood rich in hemocrit . This enables the body to absorb more oxygen and thus recover quicker

This nearly destroyed cycling.

So I'll ask again in what way does this not enhance his performance over over normal techniques such as diet exercise/ active rest routines etc

So I'll answer again, but this time I'll ask you to read the quotes (someone else's by the way, not mine!). Try this.

We all need to recover after exercise. Speeding that recovery is not enhancing performance. I used to speed up my recovery by resting. Is that performance enhancing? I remember athletes using hyperbaric chambers to speed up recovery. Is this performance enhancing? Just where do we draw the line, because it sounds as if you want to be the final arbiter of what is and what is not acceptable. Shall we refer all such cases to you?

I repeat "It seems to be a bit of a grey area at the moment. I'll reserve judgement." It seems you don't want to reserve judgement. Fine. Hang the cheating barsteward if you want. I'll wait until more knowledgeable people have had their input, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users