Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Not Possible

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 roughyed

roughyed
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

How can a team that plays a team made up of dual registered players hope to gel together,this sounds great on paper but its doomed to failure just like the club if they don't ditch it.These players have no loyalty to the town they are mercenaries,I think the club have made a huge mistake linking up with Salford and appointing a coach with no pedigree.I would love to know who was on the original short list for the job,and does Naylor work for Oldham or Salford.Its going to be another trying season and I can't see any way out of that division for the Roughyeds unless better players are signed and with attendances dwindling that won't be possible.Its not Oldham Roughyeds any more it's a mish mash that supporters can't align themselves with.

#2 higgy

higgy
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

How can a team that plays a team made up of dual registered players hope to gel together,this sounds great on paper but its doomed to failure just like the club if they don't ditch it.These players have no loyalty to the town they are mercenaries,I think the club have made a huge mistake linking up with Salford and appointing a coach with no pedigree.I would love to know who was on the original short list for the job,and does Naylor work for Oldham or Salford.Its going to be another trying season and I can't see any way out of that division for the Roughyeds unless better players are signed and with attendances dwindling that won't be possible.Its not Oldham Roughyeds any more it's a mish mash that supporters can't align themselves with.

Got to agree with your comments.

In the pre season build up we have been led to beleive that Naylor was his own man, which I have no doubt he is, it will be interesting to see his comments on the performance yesterday.
We have all experienced and read excuses from previous coaches, so I am sure we all know when we are being fobbed off.

I hope that he is working for Oldham and not being lead by a second rate Salford setup.

#3 Godzilla

Godzilla
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Yes, I think they should at least have given Brian Noble an interview.... as you say it would be interesting to know who else applied but face it no one with any great pedigree is going to be interested in coaching Oldham at the moment.

And whilst I agree with your basic point that the dual registration system is a sad joke that has already done a lot of damage to the credibility of the game, and will continue to do so, all professional players are mercenaries, I don't suppose the fact that Nicky Kiss signed for Wigan rather than Oldham keeps him awake at night.

#4 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Godzilla, to me the way the RFL/SL are running the shop, it's a disaster waiting to happen. The reason they have scrapped the 23s, and left the offering of scholarships from 14 upwards, instead of the 11 years plus, is one thing ....the lack of money in the game, and at these clubs. Players wages have been inflated to a level the clubs can no longer sustain, and because of this, cuts have to be made, hence it's easy to cut the development teams, and team up with a lower division club to absorb the costs. It's a win-win situation for the SL clubs.
With regards to development, personally I would recommend any young players to ply his trade at a CC1 or C1 club rather than go to a scholarship club. The reason being, 90% of these clubs are badly coached, poorly run and have no interest in the players well being. If that player is good enough in the Championship or Championship One, then he will progress through the ranks, and if he isn't then he still plys his trade their, or drops back to amateur forms.
To me there is no interest in either the Championship or Championship 1 anymore, and if all the clubs had joined together and stuck to fingers up to this Dual Reg business, SL would be screwed. I also believe that SL need the clubs outside the top flight, more than they need them, afterall, we get next to nothing financially from them.

#5 Augustus55

Augustus55
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Fair points made by everyone.

A question for you regarding 'scholarship' and under 20's.

Why are Oldham playing at under 20,s? If we keep playing DR's from Salford, what chance do under 20's have of getting a contract. Or are they there to accomodate the 10+ players who will be available every week from the First Team.

The whole coaching set up at Oldham is quite poor. Under 20's need expierenced, knowledgeable people to iimprove players skills, game awareness, tactics and decision making.

Sorry, another case of Hamilton making poor decisions.

#6 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

To be fair Costin is well respected and knows the Oldham amateur set up more than most, and that is key.

#7 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 566 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

We are a stand alone team. We have the background and amateur set up to feed our own pro team. What we don't haves the money. Salford have the money. So until we can get the money. They'll be calling the shots. And soon we will no longer be a stand alone club.

#8 higgy

higgy
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Fair points made by everyone.

A question for you regarding 'scholarship' and under 20's.

Why are Oldham playing at under 20,s? If we keep playing DR's from Salford, what chance do under 20's have of getting a contract. Or are they there to accomodate the 10+ players who will be available every week from the First Team.

The whole coaching set up at Oldham is quite poor. Under 20's need expierenced, knowledgeable people to iimprove players skills, game awareness, tactics and decision making.

Sorry, another case of Hamilton making poor decisions.

Got to disagree with you on this, under 20s as again been forced on us by the Rugby League causing the club to have to do away with the under 18s.

It is still a vital breeding ground for our future players.

As for the coaches what more do you need than a guy who has played the game and coached the youth teams for a number of years what more knowledge and experience can you get.

They have not been recruited to coach the professional side thats Naylors job, but they are there to bring the young lads through the ranks to meet professional standard.

I fail to see how you can blame Hamilton on this one? I think his recruitment of this coaching team is one of his better decisions.

Edited by higgy, 04 March 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#9 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

The trouble is, is that Salford, even with a huge injection of cash will still do nothing. A poorly supported club, always has been, and a club and area that has rarely developed star players, Myler, Morley and Alker are the exceptions. Even though I wouldn't class Alker an International class player. The interest in a club like Salford by its community and the game as a whole, is pretty dire, as the club is fighting for support for fans, despite the area being a football strong hold. The amateur scene around Salford is poor, with none on the amateur teams having a glut of youth coming through. Compare their amateur set ups and player numbers to that of Saddleworth, St Annes or Waterhead where the junior ranks are thriving. That's where Oldham have the advantage, but with this link up will allow Salford an easier route to tap these players up - and that's what Salford want, as well as the RFL.
And in fairness, it wouldn't cost alot, no more than it does now, to develop this talent pool further without the need for a SL club. Yes, the top players will go to Wigan, Leeds etc, but that's a small fraction that is out there.

Edited by oldhamer, 04 March 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#10 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

The trouble is, is that Salford, even with a huge injection of cash will still do nothing. A poorly supported club, always has been, and a club and area that has rarely developed star players, Myler, Morley and Alker are the exceptions. Even though I wouldn't class Alker an International class player. The interest in a club like Salford by its community and the game as a whole, is pretty dire, as the club is fighting for support for fans, despite the area being a football strong hold. The amateur scene around Salford is poor, with none on the amateur teams having a glut of youth coming through. Compare their amateur set ups and player numbers to that of Saddleworth, St Annes or Waterhead where the junior ranks are thriving. That's where Oldham have the advantage, but with this link up will allow Salford an easier route to tap these players up - and that's what Salford want, as well as the RFL.
And in fairness, it wouldn't cost alot, no more than it does now, to develop this talent pool further without the need for a SL club. Yes, the top players will go to Wigan, Leeds etc, but that's a small fraction that is out there.

Myler the lad from Widnes and alker the Wigan er?

#11 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Myler was given a chance and was allowed to be developed by Salford as was Alker. They may have never played first team or got to that level at their home town club, but another clubs development has given them that chance. Maybe Alker and Myler were the wrong examples, but it shows how litte talent there is in the Salford area.

Edited by oldhamer, 07 March 2013 - 02:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users