Photo
- - - - -

Where you stand depends on where you sit.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

I was just reading the match report in the League Weekly, and it struck me how we all see the match differently. Looking at the points given to the players, it would suggest that Ryan Sparks thought that Keegan Hirst was our best player, and Jason Walton was our worst. I actually thought that Walton played OK and really put himself about a bit. It also gives better points for Greenwood than Campbell. I just did not see it that way. On the Halifax side, it gives Thackeray the same number of points than Handforth. I can honestly say I never noticed Thackeray at all.

On reading the RL Express, (admittedly sneakily in Smiths on Northumberland Street in Newcastle) it gave Byron Smith the plaudits.

I just thought it was interesting how we all view the games and performances differently.

#2 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

I noticed that Smith recieved MOM in the League Express too. Like you he wouldnt have been my choice, even though he had a good solid game (apart from the daft lack of discipline with Barlow), in the same way he does most weeks. All about interpretation I guess.

I thought Walton carried the ball regulalry and well to be honest, but wonder if the rating had anything to do with the fact 2 Fax tries (Tyrer and Handforth) came down his side, and in fairness it looked as if perhaps our line could have dealt with them slightly better, especially for the Handforth one. Hard to be overly criticial of the meanest defence in the division so far though after 5 games, 2 of which have been against last year's NRC and Grand Final winners.

With a bit of a luck in terms of injuries (hopefully only Applegarth a victim from Thursday night) and a little more clinicalness and composure with ball in hand, we wont be far of challenging this season.

#3 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

A classic example of seeing the match differently was me awarding MoM to Jonny Campbell at Barrow when everyone else seemed to think he was rubbish!! Luckily, I agreed with Premier Sports last week when Campbell got it again. When you do match reports (especially as quickly as we knock them out) you always wonder if you have a completely different view of the game. I make you right, DD, there must be at least 500 differing views of how the match has panned out every single week.

#4 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

I thought Keegan had his best game in a Batley shirt. The lines he was running must have been part of the game plan and the impact they had on the Fax defence can't be underestimated.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#5 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

I thought Keegan had his best game in a Batley shirt. The lines he was running must have been part of the game plan and the impact they had on the Fax defence can't be underestimated.

I think KH looks a completely different player now than when I can remember him at Dewsbury. He makes really good yards every carry. Choosing a man of the match is difficult I reckon because we all look for and appreciate different things in the game. As an ex-prop, I enjoy some good graft, so I notice Smith, Hirst, Davies and Applegarth. Applegarth in particular puts in so much graft that goes unnoticed. Davies does too and just has so much energy from start to finish. Campbell has really caught the eye of late too. Anyway, most of the time it;s purely down to personal choice.

#6 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 693 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

For me Campbell was outstanding against Halifax. Smith is a hard worker and always puts in a good shift. As for Keegan. I said it last season but he just gets better every game. Looking back when we signed him I didn't think he'd get a game. Now I wouldn't leave him out.

#7 doggystyle

doggystyle
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

From the half way line,where i sit, Walton was poor. I gave KH MOM but it is hard to ignore effort put in from JC, Smith, Black. Want to see more of Hemingway in the game but can't fault his boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users