Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

how can we help rl in wales ?

any ideas ?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Its a big year for rugby league in wales with the world cup , But having north wales and south wales in the new league one is hardly going to attratch the fans especially after the super league era. So how can we help promote the game more in wales. I would say if we are to have an international calendar than to me wales is more important than london .Heres afew ideas of how we might help promote the game more in wales.
1. Lets take the challenge cup semi finals to wales the cardiff city stadium and the liberty stadium would both be good venues as both are top class stadia.
2. Could widnes and warrington take a home game each on the road to wrexham maybe ?
3. maybe take a london broncos game to south wales
4. could wales national team be given a game against a exiles team (made up of championship players perhaps.A two match serries would be good one match in the north and one in the south.
Chief Crazy Eagle

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

All good ideas.

Also, getting Scorpions and Crusaders games on S4C through the summer.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

1. Lets take the challenge cup semi finals to wales the cardiff city stadium and the liberty stadium would both be good venues as both are top class stadia.
2. Could widnes and warrington take a home game each on the road to wrexham maybe ?
3. maybe take a london broncos game to south wales
4. could wales national team be given a game against a exiles team (made up of championship players perhaps.A two match serries would be good one match in the north and one in the south.

I like the sound of idea's 1 and 4. Both would make good excuses for a weekend away. Idea 1 would cancel out idea's 2 and 3 though.

Also, getting Scorpions and Crusaders games on S4C through the summer.

That would be awesome and would really help these two clubs establish their own identities.
Posted Image

#4 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

the S4C thing would be great.
I'd disagree Wales is more important than London though but then again I'm biased.

#5 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

the S4C thing would be great.
I'd disagree Wales is more important than London though but then again I'm biased.

s4c would be good are the rfl pushing it .
Chief Crazy Eagle

#6 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Wales vs Exiles would be an enormous boost to Wales RL.

S4C would also be awesome for the Scorpions and Crusaders.

Cummins Out.

#7 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

S4C would also be awesome for the Scorpions and Crusaders.

Would it, why?

#8 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

How can we help Rugby league in Wales?

Support It, Most of the Rugby League Community have been so negative about it in the past, yeah theres been some negative stories but still theres alot of people doing good work here. Get Behind it.

Previosuly complaining about the Crusaders Crowds in Bridgend is one Example, compare it now to the Rugby Union Regions in the heartlands of the south and they dont look half bad.

Come on Wales!!

#9 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Would it, why?

s4c is a satalite channel which national would benifit the whole of national league teams as well . Any media coverage is a plus. Players of the two teams could become house hold names if on tv every week making kids wanna play the game .
Chief Crazy Eagle

#10 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

I agree any media coverage is a plus but people need to be aware that games are taking place if they are going to watch them.

#11 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

Having a promotion system to SL, which allows 2up every year. It is the only way we'll have any chance of seeing a Welsh SL team again. The current system means it will take forever.

Then perhaps the RFL should let them have special dispensation/funding to sign top Welsh RU players

#12 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

s4c is a satalite channel which national would benifit the whole of national league teams as well . Any media coverage is a plus. Players of the two teams could become house hold names if on tv every week making kids wanna play the game .

S4C can be found on satellite but it is a terrestrial channel in Wales.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#13 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Having a promotion system to SL, which allows 2up every year. It is the only way we'll have any chance of seeing a Welsh SL team again. The current system means it will take forever.

Then perhaps the RFL should let them have special dispensation/funding to sign top Welsh RU players

First para - I don't think automatic p&r would make any difference. If a Welsh club was able to get into a situation where it could thrive in the Championship - very unlikely without some sort of additional funding to counteract the innate advantages heartland clubs appear to have - then the Super League would elevate them before you could say "Welsh Rarebit".

With the money sloshing around in Union, top Union players are not going to be interested.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#14 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Another idea could be to set up a wales members scheme my non league club sheffield have a great scheme . For a joining fee say of £25 you get yr name on members board a certificate of membership four free tickets to any game plus a member badge. Could wales set up something similar to run with both clubs. Sheff fc had lots of celebs on board surely wales could do something similar .
Chief Crazy Eagle

#15 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

The top Welsh RU players are going to be earning big bucks (some perhaps as much as 180-200K) so how could we afford them? Personally dont want them either as they wouldnt be guaranteed to be a success at RL.

#16 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

First para - I don't think automatic p&r would make any difference. If a Welsh club was able to get into a situation where it could thrive in the Championship - very unlikely without some sort of additional funding to counteract the innate advantages heartland clubs appear to have - then the Super League would elevate them before you could say "Welsh Rarebit".

With the money sloshing around in Union, top Union players are not going to be interested.

I think the interest generated in an on-the-field promotion race for SL could really pull crowds in. This just will not happen under our current system because the games dont really mean anything. It was a shame promotion to SL was ditched when it was because Celtic Crusaders were on a roll after being promoted to NL1 and could have gone up automatically as righful champs (they may have beaten Salford in the final if it hadnt been a dead rubber).

We NEED a rethink on promotion to SL if there is to be any hope of non heartland teams getting into SL and building up a groundswell of fans

#17 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

The top Welsh RU players are going to be earning big bucks (some perhaps as much as 180-200K) so how could we afford them? Personally dont want them either as they wouldnt be guaranteed to be a success at RL.

Bums on seats.

Each SL club should have signed one good Welsh RU player 1-2 years ago in advance of the world cup. Not necessarily all internationals, but good players

#18 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

I think before this happens Oldham should be given funding to sign ANY Rugby League player ........
Posted Image

#19 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

Bums on seats.

Each SL club should have signed one good Welsh RU player 1-2 years ago in advance of the world cup. Not necessarily all internationals, but good players

Opinion makes the world go round but imho we dont need them as it would turn the fickle RU crowd dislike us even more than some of them do already....

#20 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

Would it, why?

Erm, it's the Welsh equivalent of channel four (I believe it occupies the number 4 slot on the freeview EPG in Wales).