any ideas ?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

All good ideas.

Also, getting Scorpions and Crusaders games on S4C through the summer.

Crusaders' home games were on S4C until some idiot ruined it by pushing Crusaders into SL. They haven't shown any interest since.

#22 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,305 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Erm, it's the Welsh equivalent of channel four (I believe it occupies the number 4 slot on the freeview EPG in Wales).

We get S4C with our Virgin TV. (We also get the Gaelic Scots channel too) Jonathan Davies has a programme on S4C so perhaps he'd be the man to organise any coverage of Welsh RL.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#23 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

We NEED a rethink on promotion to SL if there is to be any hope of non heartland teams getting into SL and building up a groundswell of fans

Essentially the Crusaders took that route. They won promotion from CC1 to CC.

Then they were neck and neck with Salford in the Championship and both were promoted into Superleague.

Crowds grew on that success.

But the success was money driven and the money ran out and Crusaders collapsed.

So the promotion thing happened for Cru, the crowd growth happened for Cru but it was all money driven.

Without money nobody can rise through the leagues to Superleague status and survive and compete.

We have two welsh clubs in the league who can be promoted and can get to the top of CC and I would guess be welcome with open arms for promotion to SL by license if they had the money.

Had Dr. Koukash taken over Scorpions, the RFL would be preparing a place for them now.

P & R is a red herring.

#24 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

We need to build the two welsh clubs slowly I do think that teams that come in to rugby league strive for the top to quickly.The way forward is to get both established in the championship and slowly build fan base . All the teams we fast track seem to go look at paris and gateshead in super league. Sheffields approach when formed in 84 was the right way slow improvements year on year .
Chief Crazy Eagle

#25 rhodders

rhodders
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

S4C show Welsh League football on a saturday afternoon, if scorpions / crusaders games could be moved to alternate saturdays the games could be shown then. No union or football over summer so gnoll and racecourse should be free for saturday games.

#26 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

1. We need to build the two welsh clubs slowly I do think that teams that come in to rugby league strive for the top to quickly.The way forward is to get both established in the championship and slowly build fan base .

2. All the teams we fast track seem to go look at paris and gateshead in super league. Sheffields approach when formed in 84 was the right way slow improvements year on year .

1. Fanbases do not grow in CC1 they stay at a couple of hundred year on year. Fanbases go nowhere in CC either.

2. Paris got over 10,000 in their first game Gateshead averaged 4,000.

The only reason these clubs failed was a lack of sustained investment.

RL clubs cannot grow without heavy investment, the game is too weak.

IMHO of course but I looked up the crowds and the reasons why Paris and Gateshead failed.

#27 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

S4C show Welsh League football on a saturday afternoon, if scorpions / crusaders games could be moved to alternate saturdays the games could be shown then. No union or football over summer so gnoll and racecourse should be free for saturday games.

At a time when S4C's budget is being decreased (if I remember correctly) I imagine getting them to take on Scorpions would prove difficult.

#28 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

At a time when S4C's budget is being decreased (if I remember correctly) I imagine getting them to take on Scorpions would prove difficult.

Maybe yes, maybe no. S4C sells adverts to subsidise its output. Rugby, I would guess, draws probably the biggest audience on the channel.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#29 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

It's Pobol y Cwm that's the big draw (100,000 viewers out of 250,000 Welsh speakers) although rugby union gets into the top 10 (a Thursday evening live match between Bayonne and the Dragons). [Link]

I have asked about showing rugby league a few times via tweets and only ever had the reply that they'd look into it. Combined with football and cricket they do show a fair amount of live sport and they may feel that bunging on a bit more isn't really meeting their brief to be the 'all things to everyone' Welsh language channel.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#30 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

was just thinking that perhaps they wouldnt be able to show the games as it'd be infringing on Premier Sports rights. Not sure if they've got exclusivity or have just bought the rights to 32 games

#31 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

It's Pobol y Cwm that's the big draw (100,000 viewers out of 250,000 Welsh speakers) although rugby union gets into the top 10 (a Thursday evening live match between Bayonne and the Dragons). [Link]

I have asked about showing rugby league a few times via tweets and only ever had the reply that they'd look into it. Combined with football and cricket they do show a fair amount of live sport and they may feel that bunging on a bit more isn't really meeting their brief to be the 'all things to everyone' Welsh language channel.

What we could do with is a Pobol Y Cwm script that pitches family/friend strife after a promising rugby union player switches to rugby league.
Or vice versa.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#32 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

What we could do with is a Pobol Y Cwm script that pitches family/friend strife after a promising rugby union player switches to rugby league.
Or vice versa.

Crusadin_photoman likes this!

#33 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

was just thinking that perhaps they wouldnt be able to show the games as it'd be infringing on Premier Sports rights. Not sure if they've got exclusivity or have just bought the rights to 32 games

I'd assume they have exclusive rights as they've paid for it. The last time S4C showed RL was pre-SL Crusaders, this at a time when Sky might've been showing Championship games, but weren't exactly paying much for the privilege. And S4C's budget is being cut by a fair bit, as the BBC are now part funding the channel out of the licence fee.

#34 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,305 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

P & R is the lifeblood of British sport Parky. For god's sake learn something.
There was little or no local interest in Crusaders - any crowds were away supporters. When Fev played them in the Championship in 2008 on the eve of Magic Weekend they had a good crowd - most of them were either fans down for the Magic Weekend or Fev fans. For that matter most of the crowd at the Magic Weekend were not Welsh. I have this from an eyewitness who went for the entire weekend including the Fev game. We are kidding ourselves in Wales. I'm not saying don't promote the game, but as the coaches say don't try and force it - if the Welsh want it then given a bit of publicity it'll grow but if they don't it won't. Union is struggling in South Wales at the moment because of the ridiculous megers and at the moment, Swansea AFC are prospering in the Premiership so what chance do we have.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#35 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

P & R is the lifeblood of British sport Parky. For god's sake learn something.
There was little or no local interest in Crusaders - any crowds were away supporters. When Fev played them in the Championship in 2008 on the eve of Magic Weekend they had a good crowd - most of them were either fans down for the Magic Weekend or Fev fans.

2006 671
2007 1070
2008 1929
2009 3603

There's the facts. The rise of Crusaders promoted from CC1 to CC to Superleague increased the crowds

Those figures look something like what Featherstone may end up with if like Crusaders they run out of money.

Edited by The Parksider, 05 March 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#36 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Then they were neck and neck with Salford in the Championship and both were promoted into Superleague.

But the success was money driven and the money ran out and Crusaders collapsed.

So the promotion thing happened for Cru, the crowd growth happened for Cru but it was all money driven.

Without money nobody can rise through the leagues to Superleague status and survive and compete.

We have two welsh clubs in the league who can be promoted and can get to the top of CC and I would guess be welcome with open arms for promotion to SL by license if they had the money.

Had Dr. Koukash taken over Scorpions, the RFL would be preparing a place for them now.

P & R is a red herring.

Not many Dr Koukash's stop around very long and if P & R had never been killed off the wealth would be distributed more evenly.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#37 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

2006 671
2007 1070
2008 1929
2009 3603

There's the facts. The rise of Crusaders promoted from CC1 to CC to Superleague increased the crowds

Those figures look something like what Featherstone may end up with if like Crusaders they run out of money.

Parky - As you know automatic promotion was removed the following season Crusaders were promoted automatically from the third tier. This meant they did not build a roll on for SL and the NL GF was a dead rubber and hence was a poor crowd. If they'd had to get into SL the proper way as they had done the year before, I think their crowds would have been higher. Fans love a promotion race

#38 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

2006 671
2007 1070
2008 1929
2009 3603

Talk about a U-turn.

You've spent the last five years arguing that "you can't build in the national leagues".

#39 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

1. Fanbases do not grow in CC1 they stay at a couple of hundred year on year. Fanbases go nowhere in CC either.

Even in the same thread you can't be consistent.

Edited by Northern Sol, 05 March 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#40 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

One think you can't do is join "Team Wales" membership is closed, not sure if thats because of over subscription or a lack of interest, but hope its the former!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users