Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

how can we help rl in wales ?

any ideas ?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,919 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

2006 671
2007 1070
2008 1929
2009 3603

There's the facts. The rise of Crusaders promoted from CC1 to CC to Superleague increased the crowds

Those figures look something like what Featherstone may end up with if like Crusaders they run out of money.

I reckon most of those fans were away fans Parky. Face it Union is struggling for crowds (and players) due to the stupid merged regional sides for which the local folk have no affinity, and the strength of Swansea City. What chance do we have? Give the game some publicity by all means, if the Welsh take to our game they'll support to it . I suspect what I was told in a bar in Adeje last March whilst watching Leeds v Wire by a Welsh RU fan is nearer ther mark "we'll watch it on the telly but wouldn't go to a game"
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#42 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

I suspect what I was told in a bar in Adeje last March whilst watching Leeds v Wire by a Welsh RU fan is nearer ther mark "we'll watch it on the telly but wouldn't go to a game"

I'll tell that to the Welsh rugby union fans I've been to games with. It'll be confusing for them but it's for the best.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#43 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

I think the interest generated in an on-the-field promotion race for SL could really pull crowds in. This just will not happen under our current system because the games dont really mean anything. It was a shame promotion to SL was ditched when it was because Celtic Crusaders were on a roll after being promoted to NL1 and could have gone up automatically as righful champs (they may have beaten Salford in the final if it hadnt been a dead rubber).

We NEED a rethink on promotion to SL if there is to be any hope of non heartland teams getting into SL and building up a groundswell of fans

This is arrant nonsense and cannot be left unchallenged. Repeating it ad nauseum done not make it true. It has been comprehensively debunked on here time after time after time on here yet Lobby "Black Knight" gobbler persists with his one man crusade . You can see him in action here Hint: Lobby is the one without a leg to stand on.

#44 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

1. Fanbases do not grow in CC1 they stay at a couple of hundred year on year. Fanbases go nowhere in CC either.

2. Paris got over 10,000 in their first game Gateshead averaged 4,000.

The only reason these clubs failed was a lack of sustained investment.

RL clubs cannot grow without heavy investment, the game is too weak.

IMHO of course but I looked up the crowds and the reasons why Paris and Gateshead failed.

the fan fair of paris was loads of free tickets to early games didnt they get 500 crowd for home game with salford . like paris gateshead also gave out free tickets.Need to build the two slowly give more publicity more big games in wales. Give wales more international matches. Theres plenty of history in the game in wales and plenty of former great players we need to work and build on it , you get nothing with out hard work so if we want a successful wales which to me england and france both really need then we need to help as much as we can .
Chief Crazy Eagle

#45 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Give Wales international matches. That's actually the best idea - and you could bet that a summer series against France and Samoa (say) would be of interest to media and broadcasters. And do a lot to help ensure players commit to Wales.

That said, where's the money?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#46 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'd assume they have exclusive rights as they've paid for it. The last time S4C showed RL was pre-SL Crusaders, this at a time when Sky might've been showing Championship games, but weren't exactly paying much for the privilege. And S4C's budget is being cut by a fair bit, as the BBC are now part funding the channel out of the licence fee.

I don't know the details of Premier Sport's deal, but S4C sometime show T20 cricket, which, for the most part, is shown on Sky. So there may be room for manoeuvre there.

I like the OP idea of Challenge Cup semis being in Wales, but maybe starting with next year? We're asking fans to stump up extra in this World Cup year a trip to (say) Swansea for (say) Hull FC and Saints fans may be a bit of an ask this year.

#47 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Need to build the two slowly give more publicity more big games in wales. Give wales more international matches. Theres plenty of history in the game in wales and plenty of former great players we need to work and build on it , you get nothing with out hard work so if we want a successful wales which to me england and france both really need then we need to help as much as we can .

We need to help as much as we can and continue to promote the game in Wales for sure.

But the Championship/CC1 is a league where you don't attract many fans even in M62 land.

I can show you traditional clubs who have busted a gut for 30, 50 even 100+ years and got nowhere.

You can't build in the championships, crowds last year hovered from 282 to 2060 it's not even enough to pay the wages.

Clubs who have made real advancements have done it in SL where rich men and local councils have acted as Benefactors and even then several clubs still struggle badly.

IMHO we must do what we can within the bounds of reality. Disproving the idea clubs can start at the bottom and build and build to Superleague level may hurt the dreams and sensibilities of some on here, but good business is working within realities and accepting constraints.

Let's do what we can for sure.

#48 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'd assume they have exclusive rights as they've paid for it. The last time S4C showed RL was pre-SL Crusaders, this at a time when Sky might've been showing Championship games, but weren't exactly paying much for the privilege. And S4C's budget is being cut by a fair bit, as the BBC are now part funding the channel out of the licence fee.

Perhaps they could come to some sort of deal by which Premier Sports does most of the leg-work in terms of filming and so on, in exchange for advertising rights during matches? Even a relatively small S4C audience is probably wider than Premier could afford to advertise to on a terrestrial channel at present, and with Wales having very high numbers of Sky subscribers, you'd think they could find themselves a few new subscribers that way.

Obviously, S4C do a lot of stuff with the BBC, so they're no strangers to these sorts of arrangements, and it could work out well for all concerned.

#49 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,919 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

I'll tell that to the Welsh rugby union fans I've been to games with. It'll be confusing for them but it's for the best.

I can only report what I heard. They were enjoying the game and I asked if they'd ever been to RL and that was their answer.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#50 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

the fan fair of paris was loads of free tickets to early games didnt they get 500 crowd for home game with salford . like paris gateshead also gave out free tickets.Need to build the two slowly give more publicity more big games in wales. Give wales more international matches. Theres plenty of history in the game in wales and plenty of former great players we need to work and build on it , you get nothing with out hard work so if we want a successful wales which to me england and france both really need then we need to help as much as we can .

The thing that never seems to be mentioned re Gateshead is that they were refused Sky money for their SL season. That had to have been a major factor in their financial failure. On the field and at the gate they did decently for an inaugral season in a virgin area but to saddle them with doing it on way less than their fellow SL teams were getting was tantamount to condemning them to failure before they even kicked off their first game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users