TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

RFU touch "rugby" in Hull..

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Jarv

Jarv
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

I noticed that the RFU landed in Hull city centre today promoting the sport of touch rugby. I am not sure if this should be "other sport" but affects rugby league and was wondering - do touch players count as participants when its comes to Sport England funding and the like? I ask simply because I would be interested to know how many players are taking 6 tackles and using a play the ball in RU figures therefore.

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

This may well get shifted to the cross code forum I imagine.

Had to laugh at the RU bloke interviewed by the Blunderside reporter. She suggested to him that Hull is a city with a big RL following and did he expect much interest in what he was promoting, to which he replied that RU is a "growing sport".

Seems to be a "tables turned" situation to me.

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#3 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Why should a strong RL presence mean that nobody wants to play touch rugby?

#4 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

I noticed that the RFU landed in Hull city centre today promoting the sport of touch rugby. I am not sure if this should be "other sport" but affects rugby league and was wondering - do touch players count as participants when its comes to Sport England funding and the like? I ask simply because I would be interested to know how many players are taking 6 tackles and using a play the ball in RU figures therefore.

Good point. As far as I'm aware, the 'participation' figures are obtained from a survey that asks randomly-selected people how often they have participated in an activity in a given period. If you have taken part in touch 'rugby' then it would be up to you to decide whether you have taken part in RL or RU. It is probably true that any clued up League player taking part in a game that had 6 tackles + play the ball would say that he'd played League.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#5 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

This may well get shifted to the cross code forum I imagine.

Had to laugh at the RU bloke interviewed by the Blunderside reporter. She suggested to him that Hull is a city with a big RL following and did he expect much interest in what he was promoting, to which he replied that RU is a "growing sport".

Seems to be a "tables turned" situation to me.

:D

Although I'm not sure how touch rugby, with it's six tackles and play the ball, is going to promote the game of union.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

:D

Although I'm not sure how touch rugby, with it's six tackles and play the ball, is going to promote the game of union.

Especially as I don't think you can kick the ball either.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

I play Tag Rugby Union occasionally. Its different to proper Tag/Touch Footy/Rugby, as in Tag Rugby Union the guys I play with play 'pass the ball as soon as the tag is ripped off (I.e. too long to pass/too many steps is a turnover))'. Rugby Union's 'Modified' version of Touch Rugby which the RFU/Rugby Union players call 'Touch Rugby' has more that 6 tackles (maybe 10? Would have to look at the rules), the defense has to be in line with the tacker (?) after the tacks is made, and the ball is rolled through the middle of the legs, a little like a pro-RL or Student RL players, apart from the RU players not waving foot pretending to play-the-ball. :lol:

Edited by HappyDave, 04 March 2013 - 08:46 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#8 Jarv

Jarv
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

The RFU one today used 6 tackles and "roll the ball"...

http://www.rfu.com/o...play-touch#c1=2

#9 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

6 tackles and roll the ball?

Copyright C. Woodward, c/o Twickenham.

Ingenious.

#10 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Does it not make sense for RL and RU to join forces and run a single organisation on Touch and Tag Rugby?

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Does it not make sense for RL and RU to join forces and run a single organisation on Touch and Tag Rugby?

No.

#12 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

they even have a dummy half! this is rugby league ffs, how do union get away with it? it really pi$$e$ me off

#13 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

Isn't Touch trying to be it's own sport away from league and union? I know there are teams around everywhere that aren't linked to clubs of either code - in Manchester the Chargers are a touch team that provides the bulk of the side of the England squad. Not sure if they have a regulatory body or how much power it has, but from what I've experienced it wants to be it's own thing (although admitedly it is very similar to RL, more so than RU)

That said, I've played touch at an RL team and I think I counted towards the stats as RL participation (Not that I mind that, in fact I'm pleased) so I'd guess rather cheekily these stats count to RU participation.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,456 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Yes.

But only if it features the 5m rule, mud and no women at all.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

I took part in a couple of sessions of touch rugby at Sedgeley Park RFC a couple of years ago. The rules were 6 tackles, a PTB and 5 metre offside line. Despite being advertised as 'all abilities welcome' I found playing against 18 year old Sale Jets players was a bit much for me.

Edited by Severus, 05 March 2013 - 02:39 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#16 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Considering both tag and touch rugby were invented by Australian RL people it's a bit of a joke that both are being used in the UK to promote Union...

they even have a dummy half! this is rugby league ffs, how do union get away with it? it really pi$$e$ me off

Same way they always get away with this rubbish, no-one from the RFL feels it's their role to call them out on it until long after it has become established.

#17 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Same way they always get away with this rubbish, no-one from the RFL feels it's their role to call them out on it until long after it has become established.

What would you like the RFL to do and what would you hope it would achieve?
Fides invicta triumphat

#18 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

I used to play a bit of this in Manchester. I actually got pinged once or twice for doing a proper play the ball! We played with a 5m rule too.

#19 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

Its all to do with Sport England money... set one up in RL city Hull, get some RL teams down... some more figures for you.

Cummins Out.

#20 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

So the IRB are promoting Touch Rugby as 'Touch Rugby Union'?... :huh:

http://www.englandto...ex.php/history/

http://www.austouch.com.au/

Edited by HappyDave, 06 March 2013 - 02:40 AM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users