Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England 30-man training squad

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,391 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

First name out of the hat is -

http://www.thesun.co...nd-call-up.html
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Guardian broke the embargo. Am I allowed to repost the list?
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

He's had a good start to the year but better than Hall, Briscoe and Charnley? Poor pick IMO.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

He's had a good start to the year but better than Hall, Briscoe and Charnley? Poor pick IMO.

Doesn't mean they haven't been picked
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#5 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

I know but with players like Hardaker also likely to be in the squad I don't see the point in picking a 29 year old winger who's never looked international class.I'd rather see someone like Dixon from London in there.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Guardian broke the embargo. Am I allowed to repost the list?

As far as I'm concerned, if a major newspaper breaks an embargo then it's public knowledge and free-for-all. Poor stuff though by them breaking the embargo.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Does the list even need posting?! I think everyone knows who's in it without having to wake up let alone think.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Ahh go on then...

ENGLAND SQUAD: Carl Ablett (Leeds Rhinos), Tom Briscoe (Hull FC), Rob Burrow (Leeds Rhinos), Garreth Carvell (Warrington), Josh Charnley (Wigan), Rangi Chase (Castleford ), Ben Cockayne (Wakefield ), Eorl Crabtree (Huddersfield), Leroy Cudjoe (Huddersfield), Gareth Ellis (Hull FC), Liam Farrell (Wigan), Ryan Hall (Leeds Rhinos), Zak Hardaker (Leeds Rhinos), Gareth Hock (Widnes Vikings), Chris Hill (Warrington), Jamie Jones-Buchanan (Leeds Rhinos), Danny McGuire (Leeds Rhinos), Michael McIlorum (Wigan), Adrian Morley (Warrington), Lee Mossop (Wigan), Richie Myler (Warrington), Sean O’Loughlin (Wigan), Stefan Ratchford (Warrington), James Roby (St Helens), Kevin Sinfield (Leeds Rhinos), Danny Tickle (Hull FC), Sam Tomkins (Wigan), Kallum Watkins (Leeds Rhinos), Ben Westwood (Warrington), Jon Wilkin (St Helens).

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Apart from Cockayne's inclusion most names are to be expected- barring injury Ryan Atkins' World Cup hopes appear to be over as he gets omitted for the second time. Danny Brough though does have the fall back option of Scotland (if he is still eligible). Jonny Lomax, Greg Eden and Keiran Dixon have not yet forced their way into the squad. As Rhys Evans does not even appear on the radar, I hope that someone will talk him into making himself available for the Welsh World Cup campaign.

Edited by flyingking, 05 March 2013 - 11:45 AM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#10 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

The official RFL Press release

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats winger Ben Cockayne has been called up to England Rugby League’s 30-man Elite Training Squad as the national team starts its preparations in World Cup year.

Cockayne, 29, has been the standout winger during the early part of the 2013 Super League season scoring six tries in the Wildcats’ opening five league fixtures.

The former Hull KR and Featherstone Rovers back is the only new inclusion, with England Coach Steve McNamara keeping faith with the majority of players that led England to tournament victory last autumn against France and Wales.

The squad will meet up at RAF Cranwell, Lincolnshire over the weekend of March 16 and there will be a further four camps throughout this year including high altitude training in Potchefstroom, South Africa at the end of the domestic season.

“We have been impressed with Ben’s (Cockayne) all-round form in Super League over a sustained period of time and he deserves his call up to the ETS,” said McNamara, who has been tracking Cockayne’s progress over the past 18 months.

“The coaches and established players look forward to welcoming him into the group at our first camp later this month. We hope he can build on his selection and continue his progress as a top class Rugby League player.”

“It is an honour to be selected,” said Cockayne, on becoming the first ever Wakefield player to be selected in the ETS squad since it was established two years ago.

“This is hopefully the first step to possibly playing for my country. To be recognised amongst the elite of English Rugby League is my biggest honour to date and I can’t wait to meet up with the rest of the England boys in the next couple of weeks.”

Super League reigning champions Leeds Rhinos have the most players in the squad with eight representatives, Wigan Warriors and Warrington Wolves both have six and there are a further six clubs represented from the Super League across the squad.

“The players are fully aware of the importance of this year,” added McNamara. “Every opportunity we have together will be vital in honing our preparations to make a real impact on the Rugby League World Cup in the autumn.

“We have every confidence in the group, along with our Australian based players, to be competitive against the best teams in the world. We are leaving nothing to chance and our training programme will add variety and the attention to detail our elite players deserve.”

Furthermore, McNamara has invited Bradford Bulls John Bateman, Rhinos Stevie Ward and Warrington’s Ben Currie to the first camp giving the former England Academy trio the opportunity to experiencing training at the elite level.

“The main focus naturally will be about the Rugby League World Cup, but we have a responsibility to ensure the future stars of the game are prepared and ready for international tournaments after 2013 and the World Cup in 2017,” McNamara said.

“That’s the reason why Ben (Currie), John (Bateman) and Stevie (Ward) have been invited to the first camp. They are part of England’s future and opportunities like this will benefit the lads in their Rugby League development.”

England will start their 2013 campaign with the International Origin match against the Exiles on Friday June 14 at The Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington and will take on France in a warm-up game before the Rugby League World Cup gets underway on Saturday October 26, when England take on Australia at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.

Tickets for the International Origin game against the Exiles can be purchased at with a £5 discount, meaning £20 tickets can be purchased by £15, until Tuesday March 12 by calling the RFL Ticket Office on 0844 856 1113 or visiting www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk and quoting the discount code ENG01

2013 England Elite Training Squad

(Professional club and community club listed):

Carl Ablett Leeds Rhinos, Hunslet Parkside
Tom Briscoe Hull FC, Featherstone Lions
Rob Burrow Leeds Rhinos, Featherstone Lions
Garreth Carvell Warrington Wolves, Stanningley
Josh Charnley Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks
Rangi Chase Castleford Tigers, Dannevirke Tigers
Ben Cockayne Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, Normanton Knights
Eorl Crabtree Huddersfield Giants, Huddersfield YMCA
Leroy Cudjoe Huddersfield Giants, Newsome Panthers
Gareth Ellis Hull FC, Lock Lane
Liam Farrell Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Pats
Ryan Hall Leeds Rhinos, Oulton Raiders
Zak Hardaker Leeds Rhinos, Featherstone Lions
Gareth Hock Widnes Vikings, Wigan St Judes
Chris Hill Warrington Wolves, New Springs Lions
Jamie Jones-Buchanan Leeds Rhinos, Stanningley
Danny McGuire Leeds Rhinos, East Leeds
Michael McIlorum Wigan Warriors, Queens
Adrian Morley Warrington Wolves, Eccles
Lee Mossop Wigan Warriors, Hensingham
Richie Myler Warrington Wolves, Halton West Bank
Sean O’Loughlin Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks
Stefan Ratchford Warrington Wolves, Wigan St Patricks
James Roby St Helens, Blackbrook
Kevin Sinfield Leeds Rhinos, Waterhead
Danny Tickle Hull FC, Golborne Parkside
Sam Tomkins Wigan Warriors. Wigan St Patricks
Kallum Watkins Leeds Rhinos, Latchford Albion
Ben Westwood Warrington Wolves, Normanton
Jon Wilkin St Helens, East Hull

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#11 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Jermaine McGilvary can consider himself unlucky.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#12 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

I think it sends out quite a good message to players in the squad and outside of it. He hasn't been picked for the team just yet but it says to all the players that form will be rewarded which seems to be a good message to preach.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#13 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

No welham

#14 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Writing from the perspective of one with no club affiliation, I'm left disappointed with this squad. The identification and selection of talent are the most important things for any international coach and I remain unconvinced that McNamara is on the right track.

The Leeds and Roosters version of Adrian Morley was one of the most fearless forwards in the world but - unlike, say, Jamie Peacock - even at his best he is simply nowhere near the player he once was. Jon Wilkin, on the other hand, has been an important player for Saints over the years but will never come close to making the kind of impact that will frighten the best international defences.

Tom Lineham's performances for Hull are already at a very high level - and his potential is even greater. I haven't seen a right wing this season to match him - including the current England first choice, Josh Charnley who appears to have been treated like a rag doll by Castleford's Carney just the other day. The non-selection of Danny Brough makes puzzles me as to why McNamara bothered to encourage him to switch his allegiance from Scotland to England...? Richie Myler has been playing better than ever, but Brough, for me, is a superior all-round talent with a wider array of passing and kicking skills allied to a genuine game-breaking running ability.

Having said that, Brough's performance v the Exiles last season was, along with his team mates, utterly dreadful...

#15 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Its a typically poor McNamara selection

So close yet so far

#16 Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

No real surprises there for me barring the Cockayne inclusion. I'm pleased that Atkins is still out of the squad as the number of times he was skinned by Kallum Watkins last year was embarassing. Still not a fan of Rangi Chase but he's a McBannana favourite. Brough is not good enough. He's the sort of player who looks good when you're 20 points in front and spits his dummy out far far too often.
Deus vult.

#17 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

No Bradford players?
A faintly disheartening selection.
I think Goulding deserves a close look - a club combination can be very useful in rep games.

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

No real surprises there for me barring the Cockayne inclusion. I'm pleased that Atkins is still out of the squad as the number of times he was skinned by Kallum Watkins last year was embarassing

How many times was it?

I assume we are ruling out any players that Watkins skins (Widdop straight out) - and we should surely definitely rule out anybody that Atkins skinned (many throughout the year).

#19 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

I think it sends out quite a good message to players in the squad and outside of it. He hasn't been picked for the team just yet but it says to all the players that form will be rewarded which seems to be a good message to preach.

Quite agree with your last sentence but the reality is that it will mea nothing, the message I mean. MacNamara is blinkered and whether or not his favourites are playing to top form or NOT he will find a reason to include them, not simply in the squad but the team he fields also, wanna bet?

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

No Bradford players?
A faintly disheartening selection.
I think Goulding deserves a close look - a club combination can be very useful in rep games.

I'm not really in the McNamara bashing club, he has put together some teams that have performed well, but I do find some of his backline combinations strange to say the least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users