Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England 30-man training squad

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

No Bradford players?

I can see why, the team blowing hot and cold and the outstanding players so far have probably been either overseas or old heads who still need more impressive performances to justify a recall, Scruton, Walker and Langley, plus we're missing too many tackles.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm not too disappointed with the squad. It has been mentioned on a number of occasions that McNamara has been building for the WC this past 2 years, and has been developing a squad that could compete. There is no point changing it much at this late stage.

If we were playing 5-10 internationals a year then fair enough, try and test new people, but we have 2 games before the WC opener, and we need a team to gel by then.

The team needs consistent performers, not ones that play a few good games then a few bad.

On top of this 30 there is also the potential of;

x amount of Burgess brothers
Graham
Widdop
Reed
Heighington
Moore

With these players in mind, I imagine the 23 WC squad would look like;

1 - Tomkins
2 - Charnley
3 - Reed
4 - Watkins
5 - Hall
6 - Sinfield
7 - Chase

8 - Graham
9 - Roby
10 - S. Burgess
11 - Westwood
12 - Hock
13 - O'loughlin

14 - Crabtree
15 - Widdop
16 - Carvell
17 - Ellis

18 - Briscoe
19 - Hardaker
20 - L. Burgess
21 - Hill
22 - Ratchford
23 - Morley

Players to miss out from current 30

Ablett, JJB, Burrow, Cockayne, Farrell,McGuire, Mcillorum, Myler, Mossop, Cudjoe, Tickle, Wilkin

#23 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Burrow is a must IMO at least as a sub for impact

#24 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Players to miss out from current 30

Ablett, JJB, Burrow, Cockayne, Farrell,McGuire, Mcillorum, Myler, Mossop, Cudjoe, Tickle, Wilkin

At least 6 of who have been in outstanding form so far this season, if they can keep it up and one or two more can emerge, we'll have some real competition, hope McN can handle it.

#25 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

At least 6 of who have been in outstanding form so far this season, if they can keep it up and one or two more can emerge, we'll have some real competition, hope McN can handle it.

Its a nice position to be in. There are a number of omissions that are knocking on the door, but consistency is the key. If they are still there at the end of the season then they could be in.

McNamara has been building a squad mentality - I think it is going to take something special to oust the incumbent players.

#26 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Dixon & Welham over Cockayne & Ablett for mine, otherwise looks fair enough. Not sure even he knows his best position but I think Richard Whiting has done enough in the last 12 months to deserve a call up as well.

#27 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Its pure ignorance to suggest that Ben Cockayne does'nt deserve his call up:

2013 up there as
Top metre maker
Top Line breaker
Top tryscorer

very similar stats last year as well, and all this achieved in a team that struggled in the bottom 4 for most of last year.

He's defesively very good, has a huge workrate and brings a level of enthusiasm that inspires those around him.

Ryan Atkins
he must have broken into McNamaras house on christmas eve and peed on his childrens presents!
He's the best or at the very least one of the top 2 centres available to England so why does SM refuse to select him? As a paying fan who'll attend all the England games I expect to see the best players representing my country and not see a 2nd choice player in there just because the National coach has a personality (cough) clash

Danny Brough
Should be the first name on the team sheet, he's exactly what the National sides been missing since Andy Gregory
Yes he's a cocky arrogant little git but are'nt all the best English halfbacks

#28 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

From the squad announced this morning

1 Hardaker
2 Charnley
3 Watkins
4 Cudjoe
5 Hall
6 Sinfield
7 Tomkins

#29 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Dixon & Welham over Cockayne & Ablett for mine, otherwise looks fair enough. Not sure even he knows his best position but I think Richard Whiting has done enough in the last 12 months to deserve a call up as well.

Dixon has potential, but he can't be realistically considered for the World Cup this time. I looked forward to seeing him against Wigan in round 4 but he was very poor.

#30 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Surprised not to see Shaun Lunt's name in the 30 man squad. I think he must have upset McNamara on the 2010 trip down under for the Four Nations as he hasn't been picked since!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#31 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Ablett, Wilkin JJb, Chase, Mcguire Cudjoe to hopefully be replaced by Burgess x 2, Brough, Reed and Widdop.

At least there's competition for places mind.

If we have Sinfield and Chase at 6 and 7 ahead of Widdop and Brough then Mcnamara needs his head examined.

#32 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

It took 31 posts.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#33 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

I wouldn`t have have Ablett, Cockayne,Morley, Tickle, Wilkin or Mcguire in the squad. All have been either tried (unsuccessfully), are too old or not good enough. One of Englands major problems are the centres. The main job of the centre is an ability to feed the wingers with a chance to score. The 2 best distributors i have seen this year are Cudjoe and Goulding (both more creative than Ablett) and Mcgilveray looks more potent than Cockayne at finishing. We`ve tried and tried with Mcguire so Brough should be given a chance. Rather talk Peacock out of retirement than Morley (for all his great service) and as for Wilkin, we could always try him at scrum half!

Edited by bar red, 05 March 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

What nationality is Willie Manu this year?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

It strikes me (as somebody with no allegiance to any SL club) but who watches every tv match that a number of the selected players are in there on reputation and not on their form over the last twelve months or so.

I know it has been done to death previously but as a proud Englishman I can never accept that Rangi Chase should be selected. He isn't good enough consistently, he is a raging fruitcake and more importantly he ISN'T ENGLISH in the true sense.

Edited by Keith Nutter, 05 March 2013 - 04:55 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

I might be speaking with bias, but its also true to say that Cudjoe has come back from his international duties an even better player

His defence has improved out of sight (and he wasn't bad before), his work rate is amazing and his attacking play had been brilliant so far, it's only 5 games in but he very much deserves his spot

#37 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Its pure ignorance to suggest that Ben Cockayne does'nt deserve his call up:

2013 up there as
Top metre maker
Top Line breaker
Top tryscorer

very similar stats last year as well, and all this achieved in a team that struggled in the bottom 4 for most of last year.

He's defesively very good, has a huge workrate and brings a level of enthusiasm that inspires those around him.

Ryan Atkins
he must have broken into McNamaras house on christmas eve and peed on his childrens presents!
He's the best or at the very least one of the top 2 centres available to England so why does SM refuse to select him? As a paying fan who'll attend all the England games I expect to see the best players representing my country and not see a 2nd choice player in there just because the National coach has a personality (cough) clash

Danny Brough
Should be the first name on the team sheet, he's exactly what the National sides been missing since Andy Gregory
Yes he's a cocky arrogant little git but are'nt all the best English halfbacks

On Cockayne I would go along with all you say concerning enthusiasm and workrate without a doubt and add to that a heart as big as a lions too. Yet I do have reservations over the main item, that being his ability to perform at the very top level, which is another matter entirely. No disrespect intended, on the contrary I am and have been a fan for sometime of the lad, but S/L is a steep step below the NRL and it could be one that Ben is unable to make, but who know's.

As for Atkin's, well here I am in complete disagreement with you. I would concede that Atkins is big, rough and appears pretty tough also. Going forward with the ball in hand he can impress, although whether that alone transmits into being a good centre and a foil for his outside man is a debateable subject and one of those in which I personally believe Atkins fails.

Yet were I find Atkins largest and most glaring fault is in his defence, especially close to the line, or, if faced with a defencive decision to make, practically anywhere on the field. Man on man he is very capable but faced with someone who does not do the obvious he is very poor and often isolates his winger.
In these departments he is schoolboyish and does not appear to improve at all.

Please take note, watch and decide, if this is in your opinion a valid criticism to make?

I admit to not finding much to agree with in MacNamara's decision making, but on Atkins I do believe that he has also concluded that this aspect of the lads game is far below that expected of an international class centre and, that he is simply an unafordable luxury, one best done without.

Brough; undoubtedly the best tactical kicker in S/L, quick and bold to the extent of recklessness, that is when he is in the MOOD!
My criticism of Brough is simply that he is alway's prone to switching off and at times can hardly it seem's be bothered to even go through the motions of playing a game.
I would agree, when he is in the mood he can be devastating but over quite a few seasons now he has started each like a house on fire only to lose his enthusiasm and form after a time.
Whether this has been through coaching frailties I would not speculate, but then again it is not the coach that takes the field and decides when out there if he feels like playing or not.
I would not write Brough off but he would have to be at his very best and displaying an appetite for the game, match in and match out, before he would be in my squad.

#38 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

If you ask a dozen people you'll get a dozen different squads - as evinced by the last couple of pages of posts - so we shouldn't be surprised when Mac's selection differs from our own.

I actually disagree with only a few of his picks but overall don't think it is too shabby a squad.

I keep having nightmares about 2008 and wondering what Smith could have done differently, and despite some shambolic defensive structures and apparently divided team, think he was actually lacking a great go-to player and had too many others short on form.

We seem to have a slightly larger pool of players now than 2008 so I am less worried about form, but the absence of a world class player to steer us around the park remains.

My guess is we will see Sinfield as the main man with an appropriate half back (Myler or Chase), a great pair of hookers (Burrow and Roby) and a flashy game changer at full back (Sam). If that lot click and our big guns in the pack play to their potential the details of the squad selections won't matter as much. Charnely or Briscoe on the wing or Reed or Atkins in the centre won't be the difference between winning the World Cup and losing.

Think the Exiles game will be fascinating this year, and I reckon England will look much better than they have in the last two years.

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Just to compare with the England 2008 World Cup squad:

Jamie Peacock, Rob Burrow, Mark Calderwood, Gareth Ellis, Maurie Fa'asavalu, Ade Gardner, Martin Gleeson, James Graham, Micky Higham, Gareth Hock, Jamie-Jones Buchanan, Jamie Langley, Danny McGuire, Adrian Morley, Leon Pryce, Rob Purdham, James Roby, Keith Senior, Kevin Sinfield, Lee Smith, Paul Sykes, Paul Wellens, Ben Westwood, Jon Wilkin.

Danny Brough, Ben Harrison, Michael McIlorum and Rangi Chase played for other nationalities.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

(Nosying on Wikipedia there was a player in the Ireland squad called Brendan Guilfoyle, that sent a shiver down my spine!)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users