Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The results from the 2015 General Election are in

Tories poll 30.3%

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Link

Just as well we don't need to bother with actual voting now.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Behind this arithmetic is of course a social process – the progressive collapse of the Tory party back into its south-east England heartland.

"Back into" implies that it used to be a party of the south-east - don't remember that.

And anyone who thinks Labour are guaranteed to win in 2015 based upon their position in the opinion polls now, are too young to have lived through the 80s/early 90s (or have an exceptionally poor memory).

Miliband has yet to be put under any real scrutiny, yet is still more unpopular than Cameron in the poll ratings. It is early days, but Labour don't seem to have come up with any game-changing strategy that suggests victory - if 'Blue Labour' is their big idea then why shouldn't people choose the real thing? There has been a definite swing from the Tories to UKIP, reflected in both by-elections and opinion polls, but a lot (if not all) of those votes are going to return at a general election - your typical Tory voter, faced with a wasted vote that will let a Labour government in, has nowhere else to go but their usual party. And, while Eastleigh showed that the both the coalition parties lost votes, there seemed little enthusiasm for the only viable alternative for government.

I think it will be a very tight result again, possibly a repeat of 2010 depending on what happens between now and 2015, but it is not a certain Labour victory/Tory defeat from this far out.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#3 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

if 'Blue Labour' is their big idea then why shouldn't people choose the real thing?

I think you haven't understood what "Blue Labour" means. Clue: it does not mean "copy the Tories".

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

It's hard to take an analyst seriously when he says that he predicted the slow demise of the Tories in 1983. They went on to win the next two elections. Just how slow was it supposed to be?

#5 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

The general apathy towards both parties strikes me as we are heading for another hung parliament. The only difference this time will be that UKIP will be the swing party.

#6 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Link

Just as well we don't need to bother with actual voting now.

It's quite rare you read an article as daft as that.

That's me.  I'm done.

#7 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Has anyone seen Labour's new PPB ? It's UKIP-lite for the masses.
My 2nd best hero - Jamie "Super Noodles" Peacock, but he'll never overtake my dad.....

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

If anyone caught today's Daily Politics, they would have seen Mary Creagh (Labour) and Ed Vaisey (Conservative) giving ample evidence of their parties' impotence and lack of character.
Both were squirming and refusing to directly answer Andrew Neill's pointed questions about what their respective parties could do to keep out Eastern Europeans who insisted on coming here and claiming benefits. Vaisey wouldn't even look at Neill when the questions were pressed.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Has anyone seen Labour's new PPB ? It's UKIP-lite for the masses.

Just had the Scottish version on tonight. Lots of blame for others, no responsibility from themselves, no real vision for the future. I may just be breaking the habit of a lifetime come 2015.

#10 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

Just had the Scottish version on tonight. Lots of blame for others, no responsibility from themselves, no real vision for the future.

I think you've just described every PPB ever broadcast. ^_^

What exactly is the point of them?

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#11 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

I think you've just described every PPB ever broadcast. ^_^

What exactly is the point of them?

To annoy people waiting for their favourite programme. :)

#12 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,884 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

The main problem is that we are now run by a cartel of the political classes. Some wear red, some wear blue and others wear yellow etc. But fundamentally they all think and act pretty much the same. Non of them, at least those at the top of their respective parties, seem to have any genuine belief and conviction, they just shift position here and there to any position that they believe will get them into or keep them in power.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#13 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

Just had the Scottish version on tonight. Lots of blame for others, no responsibility from themselves, no real vision for the future. I may just be breaking the habit of a lifetime come 2015.

I don't know if that was the same one but the one I was referring to concentrated solely on immigration and had Miliband admitting their policy while in power was wrong and had caused problems on issues such as unemployment etc
My 2nd best hero - Jamie "Super Noodles" Peacock, but he'll never overtake my dad.....

#14 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

Here it is....

#15 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

Here it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDELSPXMwIY

This doesn't exist. It is a figment of your imagination. Politicians do not discuss this topic ever. I know that because there was a long and excruciating thread on it last week.

That's me.  I'm done.

#16 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

The main problem is that we are now run by a cartel of the political classes. Some wear red, some wear blue and others wear yellow etc. But fundamentally they all think and act pretty much the same. Non of them, at least those at the top of their respective parties, seem to have any genuine belief and conviction, they just shift position here and there to any position that they believe will get them into or keep them in power.

Very lazy thinking I'm afraid. Anyone with even a passing understanding of what is actually happening to the health system, the education system or the welfare system will know that what you've written isn't even close to true.

That's me.  I'm done.

#17 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,884 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

Very lazy thinking I'm afraid. Anyone with even a passing understanding of what is actually happening to the health system, the education system or the welfare system will know that what you've written isn't even close to true.

Maybe I didn't put it across too well; there is no doubt this government is making some sweeping changes to the things you mention, but what I'm questioning is are they doing these things because they believe it is right, or because they believe it will keep them in power?
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#18 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,210 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Surely if the Scots vote for independence in 2014, then this alters all calculations as to who will win the 2015 election?
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Only on welfare is there any significant difference between the policies of the last government and the present one.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#20 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Only on welfare is there any significant difference between the policies of the last government and the present one.

Ask a teacher what they think of that one (like my wife). Or anyone who sees the NHS in action from behind the scenes (like I do).

Or anyone who's about to lose money they can't afford to because they have a spare bedroom and there's no single bedroom house available for them to move to within fifty miles. (like my parents in law)

Step outside Waitrose, put down your skinny machiatto, or whatever overpriced metrosexual nonsense you drink, and look around you. It's ##### carnage out there.

That's me.  I'm done.