Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Marwan Koukash wants the salary cap raised, and to be honest I agree with him

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

http://www.sportingl...ry-cap-increase

Edited by The Daddy_merged, 05 March 2013 - 07:52 PM.

#2 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Won't that just encourage more clubs to spend beyond their means?

#3 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

It will also mean the same clubs continuing to win the trophies.

rldfsignature.jpg

#4 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

Yeh unlike the current situation where we haven't had any clubs get into financial trouble, appart from Widnes, Crusaders, Wakefield, Bradford,Salford possibly Cas. Still only six clubs out of fourteen only a small percentage

Yeh the current sitition is certainly protecting clubs from themselves

#5 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

It will also mean the same clubs continuing to win the trophies.

It should allow the likes of Hull and Salford (London?) to take the quantum step to trophy winning far more easily than the current system allows.

#6 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

It should allow the likes of Hull and Salford (London?) to take the quantum step to trophy winning far more easily than the current system allows.

Hull can afford to pay full cap and still can't compete, that's not bad management in the office but bad management on the playing side. Throwing more money at the team doesn't necessarily mean you'll win games let alone win trophies.

rldfsignature.jpg

#7 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

But there is no magical source of players out there that he can buy.

Upping the salary cap will, in practice, mean the clubs pay more for the same players. Which is great for the players, but doesn't actually achieve anything more than that.

That's me.  I'm done.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,253 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

He probably should have read up on the rules of the competition before buying the club.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,083 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

He probably should have read up on the rules of the competition before buying the club.

he didn't need to he's loaded. Haven't you heard?

#10 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Im sure mr wood explained it to him when he was convincing the good dr what a good purchase salford would be

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,253 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

he didn't need to he's loaded. Haven't you heard?

Nobody's mentioned it for at least half an hour so I'd forgotten.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,273 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

London?

That side with less than 2,000 fans?

They'd just go bankrupt faster than they are now.

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,273 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

It's interesting that he should say that given that he previously said that he wasn't a sugar daddy and Salford would have to find new income streams.

#14 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Wow he hasnt a clue has he. Having failed to get Tomkins, Chase etc etc and trying to buy instant success he is upset and wants a higher wage cap despite most of SL in or recently been in a mess financially including Salford. Rugby League in the UK doesnt have the money to have a higher cap. The doc would be better spending this money on off field things for the future. I get the feeling the Doc demands instant success. How much patience does he have to this through?

#15 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Someone could drop on here if the Dr gets desparate. You could get rid of your dead wood and make a few quid at the same time. I wonder if Saints have offered him Perry and LH for £500,000

#16 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Someone could drop on here if the Dr gets desparate. You could get rid of your dead wood and make a few quid at the same time. I wonder if Saints have offered him Perry and LH for £500,000

What saints give Salford £500,000 that seams a fair deal

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

I think the good doctor is doing all he can to ensure Salford are in the news as often as possible.

I don't think he cares how ridiculous his pronouncements are, it doesn't matter. People are talking about Salford, that is what matters.

Saying a club has to stand on its own two feet doesn't mean it has to make a profit from day one, it means that any investment put in is used to achieve self sufficiency. Kourkash realises realises he has to invest and use that investment to better the club as a business.

All these offers for players aren't about this season, its about who is available at the end of this season.

Salford have a profile problem, Dr. K is certainly doing his best to address that.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#18 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

where does it show he doesn't know the rules? Arguing that they should be changed obviously means he knows the rules. Bizarre comment.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#19 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Get rid of the cap and introduce p&r with ground criteria and min SL salary spend. We need to let RU know we are a threat again.

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

I think the good doctor is doing all he can to ensure Salford are in the news as often as possible.

I don't think he cares how ridiculous his pronouncements are, it doesn't matter. People are talking about Salford, that is what matters.

Saying a club has to stand on its own two feet doesn't mean it has to make a profit from day one, it means that any investment put in is used to achieve self sufficiency. Kourkash realises realises he has to invest and use that investment to better the club as a business.

All these offers for players aren't about this season, its about who is available at the end of this season.

Salford have a profile problem, Dr. K is certainly doing his best to address that.

Apparently he is naive, hasn't a clue and needs his hand holding by some bloke from Warrington?

He also needs to stop trying to throw money at players and invest in erm, something other than players.

I don't know it as a fact, It's only my humble opinion, and if someone thinks he's from Mars they have every right to have that opinion respected, but IMHO my HO is that he knows exactly what he's doing.