Marwan Koukash wants the salary cap raised, and to be honest I agree with him

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

Great to see Salford in the news, keep it going! Oh and appoint to decent development officers with ideas and get salford behind their team and get arl moving again in salford and Manchester !

#22 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

Apparently he is naive, hasn't a clue and needs his hand holding by some bloke from Warrington?

He also needs to stop trying to throw money at players and invest in erm, something other than players.

I don't know it as a fact, It's only my humble opinion, and if someone thinks he's from Mars they have every right to have that opinion respected, but IMHO my HO is that he knows exactly what he's doing.

don't be so arrogant and condescending. You aren't respecting people's opinions at all with posts like the above.

You said it is easy to make a success of a club if you have money - history has proven you wrong over and over again.

#23 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

I find it odd that when we discuss the salary cap the people who are effected most, the players, often seem to be an afterthought. It's not happened yet in this thread, but I always wonder whether people who advocate a reduction in the salary cap would do so for any other profession bar the obvious.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#24 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Apparently he is naive, hasn't a clue and needs his hand holding by some bloke from Warrington?

He also needs to stop trying to throw money at players and invest in erm, something other than players.

I don't know it as a fact, It's only my humble opinion, and if someone thinks he's from Mars they have every right to have that opinion respected, but IMHO my HO is that he knows exactly what he's doing.

Ok, point taken. I judged you harshly, Parky. Let it go now.

By the way, I agree with your above opinion if that helps to heal your wounds.

#25 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

I find it odd that when we discuss the salary cap the people who are effected most, the players, often seem to be an afterthought. It's not happened yet in this thread, but I always wonder whether people who advocate a reduction in the salary cap would do so for any other profession bar the obvious.

Would you rather an open wage bill and the possibility of less clubs for the same players to play for, meaning less chance of being employed as a full time professional RL player?

rldfsignature.jpg

#26 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,506 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

don't be so arrogant and condescending. You aren't respecting people's opinions at all with posts like the above.

You said it is easy to make a success of a club if you have money - history has proven you wrong over and over again.

Now then Dave, no name calling. We agree to disagree.

All the clubs who have found men rich enough to plug the funding gap for professional RL are doing OK.

All the clubs that haven't are floundering.

It looks to me as simple as that.

Now Wilko and Clague ran out of money and it nearly killed Salford.

Let's wait and see if Koukash's Millions revive them and see them compete and crowds increase?.

I bet they will.

Are we on for £1?

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Now then Dave, no name calling. We agree to disagree.

All the clubs who have found men rich enough to plug the funding gap for professional RL are doing OK.

All the clubs that haven't are floundering.

It looks to me as simple as that.

Now Wilko and Clague ran out of money and it nearly killed Salford.

Let's wait and see if Koukash's Millions revive them and see them compete and crowds increase?.

I bet they will.

Are we on for £1?

there was no name calling, I was commenting on the behaviour I sawxin a post. Sarcy comments hardly make people want to debate and discuss with you, but I apologise if any offence was caused.

There are loads of examples across British sport of rich people failing, including in RL. You know that Im not sure why you fail to acknowledge it.

When you say doing ok - im sure Salford are not aiming to be like Widnes, Hull KR or Hudds (no disrespect to those teams - just examples of clubs with rich backers yet to win anything). The clubs who do well are the well run clubs with rich backers.

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

London don't exactly dovetail nicely into this rich = success theory.

(I am assuming David Hughes is wealthy, I've read it enough times on here how he bankrolls them anyway)

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

London don't exactly dovetail nicely into this rich = success theory.

(I am assuming David Hughes is wealthy, I've read it enough times on here how he bankrolls them anyway)

aye - could probably have listed a fair few but i still had sleep in my eyes!

Probably the best example of all is Salford themselves. JW was loaded - certainly by my standards! Hardly a success.

#30 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

This is an excellent point. Raising the salary cap is clearly in the interests of the players since it will directly increase their salaries. For some of them at least.

That's me.  I'm done.

#31 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

London are surely hamstrung by the salary cap. The price of buying or renting a house within any kind of distance from the Broncos is far far more than anything you'll get along the M62 corridor. Im sure they probably have to pay a premium on experienced players. If there was a relaxation of the salary cap someone somewhere might just want to get on board with David Hughes, maybe not - only one way of finding out.....

#32 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

London are surely hamstrung by the salary cap. The price of buying or renting a house within any kind of distance from the Broncos is far far more than anything you'll get along the M62 corridor. Im sure they probably have to pay a premium on experienced players. If there was a relaxation of the salary cap someone somewhere might just want to get on board with David Hughes, maybe not - only one way of finding out.....

FIGHT!

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#33 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

:-)

#34 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

London automatically get the international players cap allowance, without providing enough internationals. This is done to provide the club a weighting to allow them to attract experienced players.

So the in effect get a London weighting on the cap.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#35 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

right, I see. How much does that come to? How does it work - is it an extra bit you can put on each player, as if he is an international, or a lump sum that you can spread about?

#36 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,506 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Sarcy comments hardly make people want to debate and discuss with you.

The clubs who do well are the well run clubs with rich backers.

1. I did post to accept your point up to a point on the other thread to bring discussions to an amicable end, but noticed your post on this thread #9 which says "he didn't need to he's loaded. Haven't you heard?"

So I apologise to you if I took this as you being sarcastic and carrying things on.

2. I disagree. The club who does the very best is no longer being backed by a rich backer, Mr. Caddick won't even back his own team at the club. Good business acumen is in place so again you do have a good point up to a point.

#37 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Would you rather an open wage bill and the possibility of less clubs for the same players to play for, meaning less chance of being employed as a full time professional RL player?

I accept there is a danger of that and maybe there does need to be some sort of cap. I would suspect that most professional players certainly don't earn enough to last them for long after they retire though and considering the physical toll their bodies must go through I think their salaries don't reflect what they put themselves through.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

1. I did post to accept your point up to a point on the other thread to bring discussions to an amicable end, but noticed your post on this thread #9 which says "he didn't need to he's loaded. Haven't you heard?"

So I apologise to you if I took this as you being sarcastic and carrying things on.

2. I disagree. The club who does the very best is no longer being backed by a rich backer, Mr. Caddick won't even back his own team at the club. Good business acumen is in place so again you do have a good point up to a point.

Have you heard the phrase 'do as I say, not as I do'? - :D apologies!

#39 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

I accept there is a danger of that and maybe there does need to be some sort of cap. I would suspect that most professional players certainly don't earn enough to last them for long after they retire though and considering the physical toll their bodies must go through I think their salaries don't reflect what they put themselves through.

In the ideal world it would be RL players on hundreds of thousands per week and footballers on a couple of grand a week. Unfortunately it's not an ideal world we live in and the game needs to pay what the game can afford. That means there won't be any millionaires leaving the game at the end of their careers any time soon.

rldfsignature.jpg

#40 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

I think the good doctor is doing all he can to ensure Salford are in the news as often as possible.

I don't think he cares how ridiculous his pronouncements are, it doesn't matter. People are talking about Salford, that is what matters.

Saying a club has to stand on its own two feet doesn't mean it has to make a profit from day one, it means that any investment put in is used to achieve self sufficiency. Kourkash realises realises he has to invest and use that investment to better the club as a business.

All these offers for players aren't about this season, its about who is available at the end of this season.

Salford have a profile problem, Dr. K is certainly doing his best to address that.

Youv'e got it in one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users