Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

North West Counties League

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Does anybody know what happened at the NWCL meeting last night? I hear the rest of the league fixtures won't be played with Irlam Hornets crowned champions, but there will be a play off involving the remaining 8 teams. What about nest season though? Is this the end? Will the clubs apply for Summer or apply to next seasons Pennine league?

#2 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Can't see how it could run again. The team we entered at Thatto Heath folded almost immediately upon when the lads that were playing in it returned to their summer clubs, it was something that we gave a go but didn't work as we'd envisaged.

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#3 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Interesting to see what happens with Dalton because there options are limited its a shame whats happened as the Girvin family have been great servants of the game and always done an excellant job in the North West
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#4 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Dalton seem dead against summer so they might apply to the Pennine league

#5 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Indeed they do seem to want to remain in a winter based league but at the same time travelling from Barrow to Yorkshire wlll be difficult

#6 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Getting teams to travel the other way might be more difficult.

#7 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Indeed they do seem to want to remain in a winter based league but at the same time travelling from Barrow to Yorkshire wlll be difficult

We are the furthest team away from them in the Pennine at the moment 158 miles 2 hours 42 mins, to the centre of the Pennine league (Bradford) 82 miles 2 hours 2 mins.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#8 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Getting teams to travel the other way might be more difficult.

One off should be no problem at the standard they will be playing at.

#9 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I hope they can get sorted to be honest Marauder. I think its a shame that the North west counties has got to this stage as ideally we should be able to provide all clubs with a place to play in the season that they want to play in and this will limit alot of teams options

#10 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

you can't beat a good away trip once in a season, game head on going, boozy bus on the way home :D :D

#11 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

you can't beat a good away trip once in a season, game head on going, boozy bus on the way home :D :D

I hope they can get sorted to be honest Marauder. I think its a shame that the North west counties has got to this stage as ideally we should be able to provide all clubs with a place to play in the season that they want to play in and this will limit alot of teams options

With the NWC I'd just do a bit of reverse engineering and run a short season inbetween the summer one, I'm sure more clubs would enter a team knowing that it will not overlap, then as it gets stronger just add more and more weeks to the season.

#12 redbeckroad

redbeckroad
  • Coach
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

With the NWC I'd just do a bit of reverse engineering and run a short season inbetween the summer one, I'm sure more clubs would enter a team knowing that it will not overlap, then as it gets stronger just add more and more weeks to the season.

Why would you want to do that when, according to some comments on this thread, the people who really matter ie the players have shown a preference (in this case) for summer rugby as soon as the overlap between summer and winter occurs?

#13 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

Why would you want to do that when, according to some comments on this thread, the people who really matter ie the players have shown a preference (in this case) for summer rugby as soon as the overlap between summer and winter occurs?

Maybe but it's not all players and unlike the RFL, BARLA are committed the the four seasons policy and this is indicated this weekend with the launch of the new summer league in Cumbria.

#14 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Does anybody know what happened at the NWCL meeting last night? I hear the rest of the league fixtures won't be played with Irlam Hornets crowned champions, but there will be a play off involving the remaining 8 teams. What about nest season though? Is this the end? Will the clubs apply for Summer or apply to next seasons Pennine league?

Not sure many of the play off games will happen.

Widnes Tigers have been added to Div 4 of summer.
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#15 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

I believe neither play off we're played?
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#16 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Actually, 2 of 4 were played it seems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users