Will anyone try to sign Owen Farrell?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

At first glance, that would appear to be a valid comment. However, when Sinfields game is analysed in detail, he is a top player based on the sum of the parts of a diverse range of skills. See the threads on his golden boot award for a summary of his talents.

Farrell might be capable of most of the skills Sinfield exhibits, but his defence and attacking kicking potential has yet to reveal itself and he has never been able to orchestrate from the base of the ruck as Sinfield does.

For the amount of money it would take to get him into RL, it could be an expesnive gamble if not a downright flop.

Not to mention the main difference, Owen Farrell has performed on the international stage... :ph34r:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Not to mention the main difference, Owen Farrell has performed on the international stage... :ph34r:

That's a matter of opinion. He has certainly kicked goals on the international stage. I don't think he has scored any tries or made any try saving tackles. He has certainly never made a significant line break and in one of this seasons 5 nations game, he ran for 8 yards. If you call that performance, well, I don't.

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

That's a matter of opinion. He has certainly kicked goals on the international stage. I don't think he has scored any tries or made any try saving tackles. He has certainly never made a significant line break and in one of this seasons 5 nations game, he ran for 8 yards. If you call that performance, well, I don't.

Compare those stats to the rest of the team and he's Wally Lewis!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

I think Tuuilagi has made a few breaks but, on the whole you are right. The fact that England will probably win this championship having exhibited very little positive attacking rugby or try scoring flair is probably an indictment of Northern hemisphere RU.

If I was to go for an exciting RU back from this seaons 6 nations tourney, the Scottish full back, I believe he's called Hogg, or the scottish winger Visser. Far better bang for your buck there than Farrell.

#25 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

:rolleyes:

I can't think of any present England RU international players, with the possible exception of Ben Foden who I'm sure I've seen run with the ball once and seems to be out of favour, that would be worth a bid for anything other than the publicity, nor any that would even consider it.

I don't like union but grew up loving to watch many ex union players: John Bevan, Jonathan Davies, Allan Bateman, David Watkins...the list goes on. You would think that with professionalism there would be more union players that could do a job in Rugby League; the games must be growing further apart in terms of skill sets.

The last hope I had for poaching their players was Gavin Henson and Andy Powell for the Crusaders. If that had gone through it would have made a big statement for Welsh Rugby League.

#26 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

Owen Farrell would offer a RL team nothing more than headlines and a large salary.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#27 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

He must be getting on a bit - he was England's "nearly man" for years, and not recently.

He scored tries for England last season. He could be the Ryan Giggs of RU ;) ...personal life excepted of course. :o

#28 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I think he's a bit wooden is Farrell junior. But he works well in a team that has flair in other parts of the team. I actually think he could be a Kevin Sinfield type of player. Not particularly big, fast or mobile, but with a good rugby brain.

#29 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,997 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

So he does what he has to do to win international matches.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#30 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

Better off with a dual bid for Danny Cipriani and Gavin Henson.

Cipriani certainly, but only if they also get Kelly Brooke thrown in as club masseuse. Any bums on-seat bounce they got from Henson would be absorbed by the spray tan bills.

#31 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Cipriani certainly, but only if they also get Kelly Brooke thrown in as club masseuse. Any bums on-seat bounce they got from Henson would be absorbed by the spray tan bills.

Bit behind the times fella. Henson is playing brilliantly at LW, I would love to see him at my club. He'd make a good fist of RL IMO, just as long as you can keep his mind on the game. Cipriani is just a shadow of his former before his horrific ankle injury. Too tackle shy for RL.
Fides invicta triumphat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users