League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wire V Saints - What bar can I watch it at in the South Lake District?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 The British Lion

The British Lion
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hey guys...

Any help appreciated.

Family trip up to the lakes friday night. But me and the mrs want to try and a dfind a bar on route to the south lakes where we can watch the warrington v saints match on sky sports.

Any suggestions or local knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

As far as I'm aware no pubs in the South Lakes will show RL above other sports such as football and RU.

But in Kendal Town centre -

Idols Sports bar - have lots of screens in an open-plan bar and show multi channels so good chance one of them will be RL. Not been in for a while as dire beer selection.
Burgundys Wine Bar - 1 large and 2/3 smaller screens but not sure if they show multi-channels. Best bar by far for range of beers.
The Black Swan and Last Orders are used a lot for Sky Sports, especially football.

In Milnthorpe - I've used the Cross Keys hotel, they have a small tv area.

Let me know if you need anymore info, or are looking to stopover in a certain place, etc.

Probably best to ring places up before hand to check.

#3 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

The landlord at the Hare & Hounds in Levens is a big RL fan (supports Town home and away) so I'd assume they'll have it on.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#4 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Depends where in south Lakes you're going.

If you're anywhere near Ulverston you'll have plenty of choice. If not, as Derwent says, Hare and Hounds at Levens, less than five minutes off the A590 after J36 of the M6.
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#5 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

The landlord from the Hare and Hounds left about 12-18 months ago, living in East Lancashire AFAIK.
The pub has had about 3 landlords since, none of whom have made a good go of it. There are too many better pubs in the area, and none apart from the Cross Keys at Milnthorpe have Sky Sports.

#6 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,942 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

The landlord from the Hare and Hounds left about 12-18 months ago, living in East Lancashire AFAIK.

Ah right, didn't know Colin had left there, shows how long it is since I last saw him !

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#7 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I think its Clitheroe he went to.
There are rumours that the Hare & Hounds will be turned into a restaurant shortly. It is ideally situated for passing traffic from the A590 but like many village pubs it doesn't get the trade now.

#8 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

Ulv, Dalton or Barrow will all have lots of places showing the game

#9 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Good luck

Couldnt find a League Express in Ambleside a couple of weeks ago, nor in Hawkshead (Cricket paper available there, in February), nor in most of Bowness.

Finally found a League Weekly in Bowness then a sole LE

Plenty of 6 nations branding around the pubs throughout the 'league stronghold' though

#10 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

To be fair Westmoorland was never a league stronghold ( the area where you were). The true league areas up there are south Furness and Cumberland.

It's like complaing of no RL in Nantwich when Cheshire has two top Rugby League sides

#11 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Spent many years holidaying in a caravan a few miles from Grange-over-Sands and didn't find any pub showing rugby league. Even in the bar on the camp it was difficult to get rugby league on as opposed to football.

#12 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

The RL area equates exactly to where most of the heavy industry was - Furness and West Cumbria.

The union area equates to the rural farming area - Central Lakes from Keswick south to the border with Lancashire, across to Penrith and Eden. Many union clubs in the area have a good smattering of farmers playing. I've played in a Young Farmers 'rugby' 7 a side before - most had never seen RL.

However Kendal and Penrith have flirted with RL in its early days.

#13 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

Hey guys...

Any help appreciated.

Family trip up to the lakes friday night. But me and the mrs want to try and a dfind a bar on route to the south lakes where we can watch the warrington v saints match on sky sports.

Any suggestions or local knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks!

depends where about's you are in the south lakes, its very sparse.

#14 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,114 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

In Barrow Dalton and Ulverston RL is genuinley the more popular out of RL and Union. But as Shaun Mc says the farming community in Cumbria generally prefer Union probably because they don't even know what RL is. But I've noticed a lot more recently have been mentioned the odd thing about RL, probably due to hearing about the sport more.

Nearly every shop which sells newspapers has a league express in it in Barrow, Ulv and Dalton. So if you venture that far you won't have a problem, if you don't go further than Grange you will probably have to be sent to a specific pub.

#15 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

I've played in a Young Farmers 'rugby' 7 a side before - most had never seen RL.

After 117 years?
Says somthing about the introspective nature of our clubs

#16 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

The raiders bar in barrow have got it on (at the ground).

#17 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

Whenever we have been in Ambleside we have always found a pub or 2 showing the games. There's a sports bar which doesn't tend to, but whenever we have asked there they have pointed us in the right direction. Frankly, given how low season it is, if you promise to stay and sup for a few hours, they'll put it on as long as there is no footy on. I have always found the general level of league awareness to be high, certainly compared with the south.

#18 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

Stags Head Bowness on Windermere has Sports in 3D and HD on their pub finder.
So has Churchill Hotel in Ambleside.

#19 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Stags Head Bowness on Windermere has Sports in 3D and HD on their pub finder.
So has Churchill Hotel in Ambleside.

Do you think he managed to catch the last ten minutes or so?

;)

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users