• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Press Release
(From Keith Nutter – Barrow RFC Media and Communications Director)

It was with great sadness that I learned that Steve Clark had died on Monday of this week after a long and brave battle against a brain tumour.
Steve was just 42 years old and leaves a wife (Jennifer) and two young children (Olivia and Max). The deepest sympathies of everybody connected with the club – directors, players, coaches and supporters – go to Jennifer, Olivia and Max and also to Steve’s parents Roger and Sandra and the rest of Steve’s family and close friends.
I still feel numb as I write this for I had got to know Steve well in recent years through our mutual love of Barrow RFC.
Steve and I first met back in 2009 when I launched the club’s Development Fund and he contacted me offering to help. From then on there wasn’t a week passed without Steve sending me an idea to help promote the fund or to help improve the club. He was a very quiet lad but had some great ideas and he always presented them well indicating he obviously put a lot of thought into them. Steve was also a regular contributor the (Total RL) Barrow forum and his posts were always well worth a read.
Back in November 2011 Steve put his name forward for a place on the Board of Directors but pulled out shortly before the elections when he learned he was poorly. He would have been a shoe in to get elected, I have no doubts about that, and I also know that he would have been a major asset to the club with his skills and great ideas.
Steve worked as a Senior Publications Engineer in the shipyard, mainly involved in database management for electronic publications. His expertise in the field of publications was there for all to see in the hundreds of posters he produced to promote Raiders’ matches and the Development Fund. His posters were stunning that is for sure and did much to help promote the club and many are on display in the corridor leading up to the Lewthwaite Suite where we nowadays hold our board meetings.
My enduring memory of Steve will be from last November, when his second operation was imminent. My wife was also due to undergo a big operation around the same time and, despite his own worries, he took the time to text me to wish Tricia well with her operation. Sadly that was the last contact I had with Steve.
I’m going to miss our chats.
RIP mate and God Bless.

A minute’s applause will be held in Steve’s memory immediately prior to kick off for the match against Dewsbury at Craven Park on Sunday.

Steve’s funeral is on Monday 11th March at Barrow Crematorium at 1.45pm.

Posted Image

#2 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

RIP Steve.
So very very sad.

Posted Image

#3 The Vet

The Vet
  • Coach
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Well respected man who did a lot to help raise the profile of the club in the last few years

RIP SRC

Posted Image

This My Friend Is A Broom-Handled Mouser

#4 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

I'm so sorry to hear the news Keith. I had a number of chats with Steve and when we met enjoyed his company when we met.

RIP Steve. I'm sorry I cannot make the match on Sunday and being away for the week will miss the funeral.

Posted Image

#5 STW

STW
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Very sad news indeed.
My deepest thoughts to Steve's family and friends.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Steve W

#6 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Very sad news, RIP. Puts things into perspective.

#7 steve75

steve75
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Condolences to Steve's family at this sad time.

Posted Image

#8 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

condolences to Steves family and friends...sad times.

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#9 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

I didn't know Steve other than his posts on here but my condolences to his family and friends. RIP

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#10 Marsh

Marsh
  • Coach
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Condolences to Steves family and friends...a true gentleman who was a delight to talk to and a real Raiders Fan
Great of the Club to offer the minutes applause

Posted Image

#11 Gordie8

Gordie8
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

condolences to Steves family and friends...sad times. Gordon

#12 Paul Ballantyne

Paul Ballantyne
  • Coach
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

RIP Steve, I'm absolutely gutted at the news. He also helped me with posters and tickets for events in the past and always stopped for a chat. Condolences to all his family.

#13 Holty Snr

Holty Snr
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

Some of you may not know Steve was responsible over a number of years for the design of the Barrow Match Day poster which quickly became a collectors item for Barrow fans. Some of the ones he did before his illness hang proudly on the stairway to the Lewthwaite Suite, I have saved the ones he produced for last season and hope to hang these in the Hospitality Boxes as a lasting memory to a tireless worker, a true Raiders rugby supporter and family man. He will be missed, my condolences go to his wife Jennifer and family at this time.

#14 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Very sad news..spoken to him many times and I know he will be missed on here. My condolences to all his family and I will be there on the 11th to celebrate the life he fought so hard to keep.

RIP Steve

Mike and family...

Edited by soss, 06 March 2013 - 07:28 PM.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#15 southsider

southsider
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

R I P Steve, I had nothing but respect and admiration for you.
My condolences to his wife and family.

#16 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Condolences to Steve's family and friends, sad sad news.

#17 Phil. K

Phil. K
  • Coach
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Some of the ones he did before his illness hang proudly on the stairway to the Lewthwaite Suite, I have saved the ones he produced for last season and hope to hang these in the Hospitality Boxes as a lasting memory to a tireless worker, a true Raiders rugby supporter and family man.

Sound like a great idea Keith a fitting memorial for Steve

My name is Phil . . . . I am a Rugby League Supporter ! http://www.barrowrlfc.com

Posted Image

#18 holty

holty
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Can I echo all the sentiments previous.........a true gentleman, a true supporter and you will be truely missed mate.

All our thoughts I'm sure are with Steves family.

#19 morti

morti
  • Coach
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

R.I.P. STEVE, (DEWSBURY RAMS FAN)

#20 FOB

FOB
  • Coach
  • 713 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

Top man will be missed by many, R.I.P Steve.
It's great supporting the Giant killers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users