Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Good Friday Derbies switched.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,928 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Hull v Hull KR now 1445 kick off, Wigan v Saints now the earlier kick off.

(Or Saints v Wigan, not sure who's at home.)

Anybody know why?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#2 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Afraid not, all the sports bulletin on Radio Humberside said was that the decision followed discussions between Wigan and the RFL.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#3 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

###### this hull v kr is the biggest derby in rugby league true derby

#4 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Just to be clear, Wigan are at home to Saints, but Wigan Athletic are also at home to Norwich on the Saturday afternoon. Switching the rugby to the earlier kick off means they can stay within the rule that the stadium is not supposed to be used within 24 hours of Athletic's matches. Presumably someone on the football side made a fuss, as it should otherwise have been set that way originally.

#5 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Just to be clear, Wigan are at home to Saints, but Wigan Athletic are also at home to Norwich on the Saturday afternoon. Switching the rugby to the earlier kick off means they can stay within the rule that the stadium is not supposed to be used within 24 hours of Athletic's matches. Presumably someone on the football side made a fuss, as it should otherwise have been set that way originally.

Soccer club in a shared stadium being petty. Surely not?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#6 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Presumably someone on the football side made a fuss, as it should otherwise have been set that way originally.

Presumably you can provide a link/quote/story of said fuss?

Obviously the reality is common sense prevailed, my cousin is getting married Easter Saturday, we have a pre-wedding family meal on the evening of Good Friday, a 3pm kick off was proving awkward for many of the family who are season ticket holders at Wigan, none rugby following bride to be can relax safe in the knowledge nobody will no be rolling in late from the rugby! :D

#7 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

You're right that it's the one with the most riding on it.

The losing coach packs his bags.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,078 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

It makes perfect sense for Wigan v Saints first and then Hull FC v Hull KR, the fish course is always second...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

It makes perfect sense for Wigan v Saints first and then Hull FC v Hull KR, the fish course is always second...

What's for afters sour grapes

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,078 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

What's for afters sour grapes

Castleford v Wakefield, so Yorkshire puddings...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,928 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

Starters first, then main course, obviously.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#12 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Starters first, then main course, obviously.

Turkey for the main
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#13 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,928 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Turkey for the main

Cold, at that.

#14 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Presumably you can provide a link/quote/story of said fuss?

Just to be clear, here is a link to my presumption of a fuss.

In January the Premier League announced which fixtures would be moved for television in March, so it has been confirmed since then that the Wigan Athletic game would remain on Saturday at 3pm. It took almost two months for the Wigan Warriors match to be moved, just three weeks before it is played.

It is clearly not a result of proper planning, or it would have been changed before the season started, nor is it likely the Warriors or RFL suddenly wanted to change it. So it is not unreasonable to presume it was either Athletic or the Premier League wanted the rugby moved back to ensure the pitch gets a full 24 hours of rest rather than just 22 and a half hours. Itself a fussy difference.

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,468 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

"True Derby"? Technically (oh, alright, pedantically) not a Derby at all.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,078 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

"True Derby"? Technically (oh, alright, pedantically) not a Derby at all.

Here we go again!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,468 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Here we go again!

There are only two Derbies - the losers from one end up in the pies served at the other. Allegedly. ;)

Edited by Futtocks, 07 March 2013 - 03:01 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#18 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

There are only two Derbies - the losers from one end up in the pies served at the other. Allegedly. ;)

And the remainder on the shelves at Central Park.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users