Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Danny Brough for Scotland, again ?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#81 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

The whole World Cup tournament is a joke to me!

The best Australians playing in the NRL play for Australia, everyone else
just rates the other nations in their perceived order of ability and tries to play for
the highest rated team that will give them a game, nationality has nothing to do with it.

I might be wrong here Tim but I think it's not quite that simple. I believe there has to be some sort of link between the player and the nation he ends up playing for.

rldfsignature.jpg

#82 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Sinfield is a great team leader, who for a decade has had a great team built around him

Brough is a superior ball handler, kicker, halfback, defender and all round player and is by far the best choice for halfback we have for England

#83 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

the celtic tigers would be the responsibility of the welsh,scots & irish governing bodies...nothing to do with the RFL...

its about the celtic nations stepping out of the RFL & Englands shadow...and doing whats best for them!

It wouldn't be best for them though. What would happen is they'd play as Celtic Tigers for three years. Then when the WC rolls around theyd have to go back to their individual nations and no one would of played together. Celtic Tigers or even a pacific nations team are just short cuts and IMO would just stunt the growth of these nations

#84 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

there would still be opportunities to play as separate nations........just as they did under GB

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#85 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

MCNamara was asked the question about Broughs suprising absence from the ETS and he completely skirted the issue and avoided answering the question.
Most supporters, coaches and anyone who follows the game know that Brough should be in the starting 17 let alone a 40 man training squad, all this avoidance in answering the question is a little insulting.

#86 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

Apparently he destroyed Leeds at Headingley last night scoring one creating several for the Giants. If he dosn't get picked for England, Scotland will have one very decent halfback in their squad.

#87 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

they'll have 2 if,as expected,peter wallace from brisbane,plays for scotland too

OLDHAM RLFC

#88 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

It wouldn't be best for them though. What would happen is they'd play as Celtic Tigers for three years. Then when the WC rolls around theyd have to go back to their individual nations and no one would of played together. Celtic Tigers or even a pacific nations team are just short cuts and IMO would just stunt the growth of these nations

I don't think the idea would be for them to play together all the time, but it would be a method of the giving the better professional players who opted for the Celtic countries games against better quality opposition.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#89 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

he mentions a "pacific island team" too....

im pretty damn sure a deal as already been done for somekind of pacific "allstars" team to be the 4th team in the 2014 4 nations which is being held down under..

OLDHAM RLFC

#90 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Which will be full if players who previously played for Aus and NZ

#91 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

its ok cos NZ & australia has players that have previously played for island nations too...

OLDHAM RLFC

#92 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

I don't think the idea would be for them to play together all the time, but it would be a method of the giving the better professional players who opted for the Celtic countries games against better quality opposition.

They are just starting to get regular games now I just don't think it will help them to start losing games so they can play as Celtic tigers.

#93 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

he mentions a "pacific island team" too....

im pretty damn sure a deal as already been done for somekind of pacific "allstars" team to be the 4th team in the 2014 4 nations which is being held down under..

I hope not the fact that France Wales and PNG can qualify for the 4 nations is a great development tool. Would be a shame if that was lost.

Edited by bobbruce, 09 March 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#94 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

i agree....but because the 4 nations is right after the world cup theres no way to determin the 4th nation in 2014.....hence the cop out of having a pacific island allstars team be the 4th team...

OLDHAM RLFC

#95 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

MCNamara was asked the question about Broughs suprising absence from the ETS and he completely skirted the issue and avoided answering the question.
Most supporters, coaches and anyone who follows the game know that Brough should be in the starting 17 let alone a 40 man training squad, all this avoidance in answering the question is a little insulting.

Maybe, just maybe, McNamara's doing the honourable thing and not picking him since he's already played top-level international RL for another country. Having already played for Scotland in a World Cup ― the highest level that exists in any sport ― he shouldn't ever be allowed to switch allegiances.

#96 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

i agree....but because the 4 nations is right after the world cup theres no way to determin the 4th nation in 2014.....hence the cop out of having a pacific island allstars team be the 4th team...

Give the fourth spot to the highest finishing SH nation, barring Australia and New Zealand, at the WC.

rldfsignature.jpg

#97 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Maybe, just maybe, McNamara's doing the honourable thing and not picking him since he's already played top-level international RL for another country. Having already played for Scotland in a World Cup ― the highest level that exists in any sport ― he shouldn't ever be allowed to switch allegiances.

One of the most moronic things I've read on this forum

Why is he picking Chase, Carvell, Hill & others who all played for other nations previously?

Simple fact is this is an false argument - it doesn't matter who Brough previously played for in any way shape or form.

He is currently the best choice ENGLAND have for halfback, and is being ignored.

When challenged Macnamara has dodged the issue. That's the problem

#98 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

it doesn't matter who Brough previously played for in any way shape or form.

THE most moronic things I've read on this forum

Edited by deluded pom?, 10 March 2013 - 12:13 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#99 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Why, it doesnt

Check the rules.

#100 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

They are just starting to get regular games now I just don't think it will help them to start losing games so they can play as Celtic tigers.

I'm not particularly advocating the idea, I think the game should concentrate on developing the game within the individual countries. Where such an idea of a combined team would be useful would be if we went to the model of persuading established professionals to opt for Scotland, Wales or Ireland based upon them having a grandparent from these nations. Such a rep team might, if strong enough, get games against touring sides and provide stronger opposition for England. That might attract players who would otherwise opt for England for fear of missing out on top games.

As for regular games, Scotland and Ireland tend to get a couple of games per year, usually against the same opposition. Hardly a comprehensive international programme,
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users