Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

08/03/13 - Widnes Vikings v Bradford Bulls - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. Voted Bradford Bulls (8 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,497 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Discuss the game here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Widnes squad: Patrick Ah Van, Dave Allen, Shaun Briscoe, Hep Cahill, Jon Clarke, Ben Cross, Chris Dean, Paddy Flynn, Alex Gerrard, Rhys Hanbury, Gareth Hock, Willie Isa, Phil Joseph, Ben Kavanagh, Macgraff Leuluai, Joe Mellor, Eamon O'Carroll, Lloyd White, Frank Winterstein.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Bradford squad: James Donaldson, Adam Sidlow, Adam O'Brien, Manase Manuokafoa, Jamie Langley, Matt Diskin, Brett Kearney, Nick Scruton, Heath L'Estrange, Matty Blythe, Keith Lulia, Elliott Whitehead, Elliot Kear, Jarrod Sammut, Danny Addy, Tom Olbison, Chev Walker, Jobe Murphy, Jamie Foster.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Bradford, by 16.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Two teams full of confidence after last week, but it depends on which Bradford side shows up. Hopefully we'll have enough for the two points. Anything like last seasons' comprehensive victory would be even better, but Widnes are an improved beast on 2012. Hock v Whitehead will be something to savour, more penalties than tackles between those two.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,497 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

In Bulls Eye this week, Head Coach Francis Cummins looks forward to Friday's trip to the Stobart Stadium as the Bulls take on the Vikings.

FRANCIS CUMMINS

YOU MUST HAVE BEEN VERY PLEASED WITH THE RESULT AT HUDDERSFIELD.

“It was a great win. We have had a day off and been able to train a little more today and we have a few bumps and bruises but we are OK.

We were quite confident in our ability to get a win but after a disappointing result the week before it was nice to go to a side that were top of the table, albeit after only four wins and put a good performance in.”

WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING FROM WIDNES, BECAUSE THEY TOO HAD A GOOD WIN?

“They did indeed. They had what is probably the best win of the season for them and probably for a while, so they will be coming into this game full of confidence. They showed some real attacking flair last week and they are a big threat to us, one because of the short turnaround but also the fact that they put thirty points past a team as good as Hull.

Looking at them – if Brown doesn’t play -Jon Clarke at Hooker gets the team around the field and he has a good kicking game from there and then there is Rhys Hanbury who is their main man. He was last year and he has a great skill set. He plays against the grain a bit too. He doesn’t play like a conventional half and he throws himself all around the field. Those two are very important to them but they have a big set of forwards who work very hard and that is where the game will be won and lost; The men in the middle working hard and getting field position.

They have consolidated now in Super League and a lot of credit for that is down to Steve O’Connor. He donated to the Bulls last year and, whilst I don’t know him personally, it was a magnificent gesture. When you say ‘Rugby League Community’ you just have to look at what went on last year and Steve’s act of kindness was gratefully received and I’d like to thank him and the fans for what they did and I hope they are rewarded with a big crowd from both sets of supporters on Friday.”

A LOT WAS MADE OF THE iPITCH LAST YEAR? IS IT A FACTOR?

“Well it probably is if you lose!! We played there last year and won, so it wasn’t a factor for us!! I’d rather have a good grass pitch any day but we only have to play on it once a year and we will just get on with it.

IT IS A CHANCE FOR YOU TO GET BACK TO BACK WINS?

It’s an opportunity to back up a good performance because when we have had a good performance before this season, we have let ourselves down a bit the week after. It is something we have spoken about and about what it means to us. To get a great result against our West Yorkshire rivals was great but we need to back it up. We will be expected to beat Widnes- after beating the Giants- but we know we have a tough period coming up and we need to win this game.

I am not too worried about other people’s expectations of us because we have expectations of ourselves. I know what these young men can achieve but what we really need is a good performance. We need to play with the same energy we did last week and if we do then I am sure we will be OK.”

MILESTONES

CHEV WALKER needs 1 Try for a career total of 100. He has scored 99 Tries for Leeds, Hull KR, Gt Britain, England and Bradford Bulls.

JAMIE LANGLEY, who will make his 250th career appearance in Friday’s game, needs 2 points for a total of 150 for the Bulls. He has scored 37 tries in 241 appearances for the club.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#7 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

I think Widnes have improved a lot from last year and even thouhg they have lost a couple of bodies from their winning side last week they still loooked well worth their win, even with a disrupted team. With the Bulls coming off a win also it makes for a competitve game - bring it on!
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Don't forget to set off tomorrow just to make sure everyone gets there on time...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

the chemics by 18...............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#10 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Have we ever backed up a win with another win since our return to SL? I don't think we have......would love to think we've grown past the "hot-one-week, cold-the-next" thing but dunno, too close to call really - the same fixture last year was woeful ...the loss of Brown and Marsh is harsh but Isa's back in and Joseph too so hopefully he can put one over on his old club

#11 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Don't forget to set off tomorrow just to make sure everyone gets there on time...

Ha Ha, there's many a true word, etc but the M62 is definitely getting like the road to hell these days. I dread to think of the carnage when someone breaks down when they've converted all the hard shoulders to 'live' lanes
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Ha Ha, there's many a true word, etc but the M62 is definitely getting like the road to hell these days. I dread to think of the carnage when someone breaks down when they've converted all the hard shoulders to 'live' lanes

I'll keep an eye out on my way home tomorrow and I've put Omar on speed dial just in case.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Bradford by 10.

#14 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Have we ever backed up a win with another win since our return to SL? I don't think we have......would love to think we've grown past the "hot-one-week, cold-the-next" thing but dunno, too close to call really

I know it's only early, but Bradford haven't put 2 games together this season yet either. A knock-on-athon ahead?
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#15 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

I see that schofield is backing Widnes to win by a substansive margin. He seems to hate the Bulls. I can never recall a decent write up by him. Forecast Bradford to be next to bottom, and stated that Gale should be playing for a better side.

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Forecast Bradford to be next to bottom, and stated that Gale should be playing for a better side.

In other news, Shergar should win the Derby this year and Garry Schofield will step up to coach Australia in the World Cup when Tim Sheens opts for Salford.
:D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#17 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 897 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

I see that schofield is backing Widnes to win by a substansive margin. He seems to hate the Bulls. I can never recall a decent write up by him. Forecast Bradford to be next to bottom, and stated that Gale should be playing for a better side.

Does seem to bear a grudge against us doesn't he. likewise millward in his tipping column on sporting life. Always talks us down and very rarely tips us to win, no matter who were playing.

Think tomorrow is potentially a big banana skin. Hopefully we can come away with the 2 pts and move up the league.

#18 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Close game. Bulls to sneak it by a score.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,715 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

Will be working so it will be here or twitter to see who wins. And I can't call it.

Predictability eh?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

He can spout any old ship he likes now he hasn't added a forfeit.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users