Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

08/03/13 - Widnes Vikings v Bradford Bulls - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. Voted Bradford Bulls (8 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

what a brilliant game, if this had been on sky they would be showing it all week, widnes were missing a full back, both centres and two half backs, oh and we had 12 men for 50 minutes.............widnes for the play offs, a good bet IMO.................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#102 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Amazing game. Bradford totally dominant in the first half regardless of the Hock decision. They looked really good although a lot came off for them it must be said.

Second half was all one way traffic and Widnes could have easily won. It's hard to describe how knackered Bradford were in the final 10. You'd have no idea that Widnes had 12 men. Tbh Bradfords tactics were odd, they continually slowed the game out and kicked into touch. Surely their best bet was to play at a high tempo and hope 12 men couldn't cope.

Bradford will benefit from this as it showed they lacked something when the chips were down and they were up against it.

Definitely a point gained and happy at seeing a great game.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 08 March 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#103 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

It's hard to describe how knackered Bradford were in the final 10.

I think losing a couple or three players during the game took it's toll. Not to dismiss the Widnes effort though, my thoughts on that are littered over the previous hour.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#104 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Anyway, I need to get some kip! :wacko:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#105 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

The old bad habits return to Haunt the Bulls! SoS (Switch off Syndrome) is back, lets hope Franny can rid it from the Teams mentality quickly!
If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

#106 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

When we knocked on in their 20, and Bradford regathered, why on earth did they try the kick through?

Crazy decision..........
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#107 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Its the done thing init with this new adv rule?

#108 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

Looks like Hock was sent off for swearing. Not that i'm condoning bad language, but surely a talking to or yellow would have been sufficient?

Then again, being down to 12 men certainly galvanised us tonight...........

http://www1.skysport.../12196/8550965/
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#109 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

Sounded like a belter....should've been on sky

#110 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Looks like Hock was sent off for swearing. Not that i'm condoning bad language, but surely a talking to or yellow would have been sufficient?

#111 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

he was already being shown a yellow according to one report I read

#112 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hock was yellow carded for some offence when Diskin scored; then immediately talked himself into a red.

If he had stayed on we would have been beaten easily because for the last ten minutes we had two big props and four lightweight forwards trying to contain a sustained bashing from a powerful set of big men. Chev Walker was helping out by switching from the wing to the centre in defence, but this meant Jarrod Sammut going out to the wing, and his influence round the ptb's was sorely missed. The Bulls players were completely drained at the end.

I thought Brett Kearney was comfortably the best player on the pitch but injuries and panic left us in the second half trying to hang on to a lead that we had coasted into in the first.

Rhys Hanbury and Ben Cross were outstanding for Widnes but, as a Welshman, I was a bit disappointed with Lloyd White.He has loads of talent and showed it in the second half, but was anonymous in the first half when the side were struggling. He could be a terrific player if he imposed himself more when his side are struggling.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#113 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

Did white start? The commentary suggested he came off the bench but i might have misheard

#114 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Widnes are showing themselves to be a team that does well under pressure.

#115 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

Did white start? The commentary suggested he came off the bench but i might have misheard

I'm not sure, but he was on before half time.

If he played every week like he played in the second half, I can't see him being a bench player; he'd be a top notch starter.

Edited by Wolford6, 09 March 2013 - 09:16 AM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#116 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

That's a great performance by Widnes. Wish I could have seen it. It's marvellous to see one of our truly great clubs on the rise again.

#117 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

lloyd started at stand off due to the injuries to key players.......but joe mellor was immense in both attack and defence,

Edited by Viking Warrior, 09 March 2013 - 10:14 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#118 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Well didnt even know Hock sent off until this morning and I was there!

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#119 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

At the time I was refusing to blame the ref because we didn't know what had been said.

He said something to the in goal and was given a yellow that was upgraded to a red. If it's for swearing like Betts said it is ridiculous, I can't think of any other player that has been sent off for swearing and it's hard not to think that his reputation has preceded him.

I'm not sure we'd have won with him on the pitch. We'd been dominated up until that point and it certainly meant there was a different atmosphere about the second half. Our first try was the sort of risk you might not take if you're not facing a heavy defeat. Bradford too, despite injuries, took the foot off the gas expecting as everyone did that they would win by 40.

#120 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

I can't think of any other player that has been sent off for swearing and it's hard not to think that his reputation has preceded him.

I can.

Sir James Lowes was red-carded by Cummings (either him or Russell Smith) for (rightly, IMO) thinking he was a winker, but (wrongly) expressing that opinion verbally. IIRC he was shown a yellow for dissent, rapidly upgraded to red when he accused the official of engaging onanistic activities as he stormed off...

Same holds now I guess as I had to admit at the time: the minute players can undermine the officials' authority is the day the game rapidly degenerates into a free-for-all. It is respect on the park for the officials that saves us from going the way soccer has. Except we talking much bigger, stronger, fitter and tougher guys to manage here. Leave voicing concerns about the official's parentage or right-handed activities to the crowd.

This presupposes he swore at the official, of course. If he just said something that sounded a bit like like "what a load of chuffing rollocks" to no-one in particular, then the red card would seem severe?

Edited by Adeybull, 09 March 2013 - 02:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users