Photo
- - - - -

08/03/13 - Widnes Vikings v Bradford Bulls - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. Voted Bradford Bulls (8 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

I can.

Sir James Lowes was red-carded by Cummings (either him or Russell Smith) for (rightly, IMO) thinking he was a winker, but (wrongly) expressing that opinion verbally. IIRC he was shown a yellow for dissent, rapidly upgraded to red when he accused the official of engaging onanistic activities as he stormed off...

Same holds now I guess as I had to admit at the time: the minute players can undermine the officials' authority is the day the game rapidly degenerates into a free-for-all. It is respect on the park for the officials that saves us from going the way soccer has. Except we talking much bigger, stronger, fitter and tougher guys to manage here. Leave voicing concerns about the official's parentage or right-handed activities to the crowd.

This presupposes he swore at the official, of course. If he just said something that sounded a bit like like "what a load of chuffing rollocks" to no-one in particular, then the red card would seem severe?

I'm still torn on this issue. Like I've said I'm feeling far from hard done to because I think it actually contributed to us getting a point and resulted in one of the best games I've seen for many a year.

It's funny because as a teacher I understand how the referee has made the decision. Some schools will operate a traffic light system that works in a similar way, you are given a warning and can get your name moved down to yellow (miss 5 minutes of play) and then if you persist will get your name moved to red and suffer further detention. On occasion, I have moved people to orange and then instantly to red but I will admit it has been due to irritation with them on my part. The system isn't designed to be used like that and is supposed to be emotionless really.

I saw that last night. It was yellow and then instantly became a red but Hock was stood literally 10 metres away at the time. That's why I'd still love to hear the RFL's version because I struggle to believe that this was why. If it is true it's hard to believe that it isn't related to who he is but like you say we can't condone real misconduct creeping into the game.

At the end of the day, I was more annoyed with Hock for doing it. I can't help but feel there might be a lack of respect at Widnes, his performances haven't suggested it but the amount of penalties have. If he really cared about the outcome and was trying his best would he be doing such senseless things? Would he have done that in a Grand Final? Is it the case that he is acting the big I am thinking he can do what he likes because it doesn't really matter to him.

#122 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

One for the Stattos out there. Last night was Widnes's first home draw for 15 years, ending a run of the last 8 draws all coming away from home. Our last Super League draw also came away at Bradford.

Another point I feel needs mentioning. Bradford brought about 600 or so very vocal fans who contributed to the game. Also, despite the vehemence of fans at the referee after the Hock incident there appeared to be almost no animosity or goading between the fans. Was nice to see for a change.

Here's where I inevitably find out there was lots that I just didn't see....

#123 chrisl1

chrisl1
  • Coach
  • 588 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

What a great second half comeback. Widnes certainly deserved a point particularly taking into account -

1.Bradford were able to pick from the same 19 as for the Huddersfield game

2.Widnes were missing three influential players from the team that defeated Hull

3.Widnes were one man down from the 28th minute yet overcame a 16 point deficit

Well done to the Vikings.

#124 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Thought Widnes definitely desrved a point for the comeback but the Bulls maybe deserve a kick up the backside. To be fair, no game is ever over til it's over, as they say, but to fail to win after being 20 - 4 to the good is essentially snatching a draw from the jaws of victory. As a game it was no doubt a cracker for the uncommitted but maybe a bit too much heart in mouth for a fan, well it was for this fan anyway! <_<

Can I be the second to say I didn't know Hock had been sent off? I saw the yellow and assumed it was for ten but never realised he hadn't come back on - don't know why I go behind the sticks for away games, you're miles away from half the action.

Edited by Bulliac, 09 March 2013 - 05:31 PM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#125 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Matt Diskin was apparently taken for a medical examination after feeling really ill following last night's game.

Michael Platt was full of sympathy today.
:lol:

https://twitter.com/mikeplatty

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#126 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Matt Diskin was apparently taken for a medical examination after feeling really ill following last night's game.

Michael Platt was full of sympathy today.
:lol:

https://twitter.com/mikeplatty

A couple of very bloody knees too from Bateman but Donaldson in particular.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#127 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

A couple of very bloody knees too from Bateman but Donaldson in particular.

The ipitch makes for great, fast games but it's not well liked by the players. It's hard to imagine that it isn't putting players off from joining Widnes.

#128 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

I also never saw the red card. I saw the yellow,and it wasn't until I was stood under the stand at half time when someone told me it had been red! I checked Sky Sports on my phone, and it was indeed red. Great game though......
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#129 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

I also never saw the red card. I saw the yellow,and it wasn't until I was stood under the stand at half time when someone told me it had been red! I checked Sky Sports on my phone, and it was indeed red. Great game though......

He pulled out yellow first and then followed it by a red.

The two theories are that he made a mistake and adjusted it or he upgraded it after further back chat. The latter seems to be more widely accepted although this seems bizarre to me considering how far away Hock was when he was given the yellow. Also, Hicks made a couple of decisions that he changed his mind on most notably where he awarded Bradford another set of 6 only to not give it them. I suppose it's pretty hard to undo calls like that when you've waved your hand in the air.

#130 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

hicks also signalled for 10 minutes after issuing the yeallow,
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#131 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

Also, despite the vehemence of fans at the referee after the Hock incident there appeared to be almost no animosity or goading between the fans. Was nice to see for a change.

Never been any issues between Bulls and Widnes fans in recent years, to my knowledge. And I remember how many of you guys were pretty surprised at the cheers from our lot for Sprogger on your first return to the top flight. But Bulls fans will also long remember Steve O'Connor's extremely generous gesture, at the time when we were facing oblivion.

#132 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

the last home draw we had was a 34-34 against featherstone with mark hewitt kicking the equalising goal near the end..
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#133 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

For the past few seasons the Bulls have had one drab draw away from home; 2013 - Widnes, 2012 - Salford, 2011 - Catalans, 2010 - Leeds, 2009 - Hull KR (H).

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#134 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

was talking to mick g on twitter last night and he said that when hanbury was "held up" over the line he actually grounded the ball, oh for a video ref at every game..............

#135 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#136 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Deffo game over now.....######in hell

Yes, another one of those blowout scorelines. :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#137 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

:D :wacko: :D

#138 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBRnCYHTUIU&list=UUDoKbw7Np8oheT6XCtjPf2A

Looking at this it seems unlikely that it was upgraded to a red card. He was miles away from the yellow card and certainly doesn't appear to be mouthing off as it's given. If you look at the Diskin try, he does go over to the in-goal referee though.

Must be said though, I was less bothered about that decision than the really bad forward pass miss that followed for the Bulls 4th try.

#139 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

Must be said though, I was less bothered about that decision than the really bad forward pass miss that followed for the Bulls 4th try.

Sammut to Lulia? No more forward than White to Ah Van for Hanbury's try.

(And believe me, I've seen my fair share of forward passes watching the Bulls, missing forward passes is my major bugbear)

A 12-3 penalty count (according to Full Time, so it could be wrong) and Betts still has the gall to criticise the referee so blatantly. Nathan Brown was reprimanded for less.

edit: 12-2 in League Express.

Edited by hindle xiii, 12 March 2013 - 09:18 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#140 chrisl1

chrisl1
  • Coach
  • 588 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Francis Cummins - "We had a few guys busted and the penalty count was surprising - but no excuses." Just wonder what he says when he is making excuses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users