Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

09/03/13 - London Broncos v Hull KR - KO 6.15pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. London Broncos (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Voted Hull KR (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Draw (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

I disagree, I love the new 'free play' rule and it shouldn't be restricted. The issue at the moment is that teams are too cautious with it, mainly due to the lack of a clear signal from the official. Once it beds in and teams realise the possibilities it will lead to greater counter attacking plays and more risk taking.

Yeah, I suppose when the teams start using the free play better I might change my mind. At the moment the fly hack isnt very entertaining to watch though.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#62 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,938 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Could be worse, in union people always try to kick drop goals, if they miss the play gets called back for a penalty kick anyway. I agree that if you kick the ball, you have used your advantage.

#63 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Eddie, Stevo and Beecroft as bad as the Bronco's..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#64 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,938 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Attendance 1,837

What do you all think gentlemen? On another thread they are talking about Noble for Salford. Should London be calling him?

Being stuck here in Turin, I didn't see the game but from people's comments London seem lethargic week-in, week-out but can turn it on at times.

Do they have enough talent and just lack the coach? Or are they just not good enough?

#65 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Thought London looked pretty good, when they put some effort in. Spent too long looking lethargic and disinterested

#66 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

I think London just lack quality. Witt's pass that was picked off by Welham in the 1st half was not professional standard. Some of the tackling was amateurish too. If they want to build the crowds back up they need a winning team. No matter how good the marketing is, it wont matter if the product they are selling is rubbish.

Speaking of the attendance, it knocked 1,650 off of the average the first 5 games set.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#67 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Attendance 1,837

400 less than Fev got on a wet and cold thursday night this week. London also had the benefit of significantly more away support.

Just saying

#68 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Yeah but Fev is pointless

#69 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

London also had the benefit of significantly more away support.

Not this time they didn't.

#70 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

Not this time they didn't.

yes they did keighley brought next to none to fev Thursday

#71 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

I was there today. Can someone from the RFL get London away from Twatters. It is killing the club and fans. The atmos is and alway has been dire. It is a ##### union area

#72 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

In what way?

#73 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

400 less than Fev got on a wet and cold thursday night this week. London also had the benefit of significantly more away support.

Just saying

Better away support? How so?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#74 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

That attendance is worse than I thought, with me being counted as there through my ST even though I am the other side of the planet at the moment.

I dread to think what the Catalans attendance will be :(

I know London contracts are signed until 2014 only when David Hughes walks but London's performances and attendances are doing the game no favours. The benefit the club would bring to Super League was always predicated on the basis of a successful Rugby League club not what we have here.

Put it this way if you were new to "Rugby" and went to see a Saracens / Harlequins match - and let's try not to turn this into a league / union debate - and then went to see London Broncos getting smashed with less than 2,000 ratting round a 15,000 stadium. Which code would you end up watching ?

This club in its current state is doing the game of Rugby League a disservice, Sorting things out for 2014 with either the club out of Super League or in under new ownership should be the RFL and the RL trade presses first priority.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#75 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

We'll see how pointless Fev is come Feb 2014
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#76 dogga

dogga
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

Where has this Alex Browne come from? Looks like a prospect

been at batley
union whats that?

#77 dogga

dogga
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

Brown "no e" - ex-Keighley. Wasn't the fastest player in the world (at Keighley anyway). Big lad though (at that level anyway).

whhen was he there?
union whats that?

#78 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

1. This club in its current state is doing the game of Rugby League a disservice

2. Sorting things out for 2014 with either the club out of Super League or in under new ownership should be the RFL and the RL trade presses first priority.

1. They certainly are.

2. I'm puzzled at your options?

If playing badly before less than 2,000 fans despite being of alleged strategic importance to the game is a combination of criteria upon which to throw a club out of SL, then after last week Salford should be first, London second and there we have it.

A twelve club league.

Edited by The Parksider, 10 March 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#79 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Which code would you end up watching ?

I honestly don't think this is how people - or families at least, which contrary to Lobby's views on foam fingers are pretty useful things to have coming through your gates for both income and a marker that you're a vibrant club - work. People would come to the Broncos for a match if that match was likely to be entertaining, competitive and an enjoyable experience. As you can see at Harlequins RU matches, the Stoop actually works pretty well for giving people things to do if they don't want to be watching rugby as their main reason for being there. It would take investment but the Broncos could do that irrespective of a league/union debate.

There will be people who are drawn to a particular sport and want to watch more of it. And, you're right here, the Broncos are a terrible 'go to' for anybody who has just watched a decent game on Sky the day before and now wants to see it firsthand.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#80 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

It's time for the RFL to take ownership and pump more of the Sky money into the team. I'd that means having to drop the dross like Cas and Hull KR then so be it. The spare money from having 12 team in SL could be spread around a bit with a large proportion going towards the Broncos. First retirement would be to get Noble in, the second to employ a shi.t hot marketing agency no matter the cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users