Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

09/03/13 - London Broncos v Hull KR - KO 6.15pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. London Broncos (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Voted Hull KR (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Draw (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

It's time for the RFL to take ownership and pump more of the Sky money into the team. I'd that means having to drop the dross like Cas and Hull KR then so be it. The spare money from having 12 team in SL could be spread around a bit with a large proportion going towards the Broncos. First retirement would be to get Noble in, the second to employ a shi.t hot marketing agency no matter the cost.

I'd get your tin hat out if I were you mate.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#82 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,301 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

whhen was he there?

Around 2006 IIRC. Before he joined Batley anyway.

#83 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,301 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

It's time for the RFL to take ownership and pump more of the Sky money into the team. I'd that means having to drop the dross like Cas and Hull KR then so be it. The spare money from having 12 team in SL could be spread around a bit with a large proportion going towards the Broncos. First retirement would be to get Noble in, the second to employ a shi.t hot marketing agency no matter the cost.

Hull KR and Cas might not be the strongest teams in the world but they are streets ahead of Broncos. Why would you refer to them as "dross" but conclude that Broncos should be saved even if it means cutting HKR and Cas?

#84 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

The reason we got back into the game in the second half was that HKR took their collective foot off the gas thinking that the game was won - something that I suspect that Mr. Sandercock will be having words about during the week! The rest of my thoughts are on the Nigel Wood thread.

#85 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

The reason we got back into the game in the second half was that HKR took their collective foot off the gas thinking that the game was won - something that I suspect that Mr. Sandercock will be having words about during the week! The rest of my thoughts are on the Nigel Wood thread.

Thats it in one mate.
Had Rovers put themselves out to any extent in the second half who knows what the
score would have been. People may knock Quins Union but at least I see a contest
as a dual season ticket holder week in and week out.
With the Broncos its just a case of heads dropping as soon as they go behind
and its game over. Mentally weak and just not up to it,

#86 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

Better away support? How so?

I saw more than 10 HKR fans on Sky's cameras

#87 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

I dont buy into the argument abut the stoop being the wrong place its a wonderful ground to watch rugby, the problem with the broncos is down to the total lack of marketing and the non sexy northern image that RL has in London ,on another issue there is no-way there were 1800 there last night more like around 1300 which is woeful the current hard core broncos fan base is no-more than 1000 max.

CM

Probably more like 1700

#88 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

No one in their right mind would choose to watch the jack booted all fall over game, over ours.
We don't need the Broncos for the game to have a good profile in London. The game should take half a dozen events down to London each year, market those and continue to invest in the Skolars and the grass roots.
Finally, as 1 of those 1000 of core supporters, the smug anti league postings of CM and co make my blood boil.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer, 10 March 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#89 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

No one in their right mind would choose to watch the jack booted all fall over game, over ours.
We don't need the Broncos for the game to have a good profile in London. The game should take half a dozen events down to London each year, market those and continue to invest in the Skolars and the grass roots.
Finally, as 1 of those 1000 of core supporters, the smug anti league postings of CM and co make my blood boil.

I choose to watch Quins Union as its an afternoon out basically.
Its doesnt come close to League I agree,but as I say at least I see a contest.

#90 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,042 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

That's purely a subjective viewpoint. There are those - well, many more of those... who hold a completely polarised viewpoint to yourself. It's all about choice and desire. Sadly, for Rugby league, many more folk, particularly in London (who are of right mind), prefer watching Rugby Union. That's their preference.
In spite of tall the support, perseverance and investment, London as going concern is taking it's final breaths unless there is some miraculous intervention from outside of the game. I'm not sure the RFL/SL can save the club even 'IF' the desire to do so is there.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#91 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,809 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

I dont buy into the argument abut the stoop being the wrong place its a wonderful ground to watch rugby, the problem with the broncos is down to the total lack of marketing and the non sexy northern image that RL has in London ,on another issue there is no-way there were 1800 there last night more like around 1300 which is woeful the current hard core broncos fan base is no-more than 1000 max.

CM

I don't think it is a great place for atmosphere even if there was 10k on. It is quite open and the stands are quite far from the pitch, leading to a loss of atmosphere. Much worse than Langtree Park which has had similar critisism.

However the fact also is that even if it were the best stadium in the world, it is in a poor location. It is right next to RU HQ and saturated with RU fans. The area has no interest in RL and no locals (staple fans for any club) follow the Broncos. I was in the Wetherspoons yesterday and all the bar staff were kitted out in Quins tops. They did not at any stage switch to wearing Broncos tops. No local shops have any Broncos flags etc. Its all Quins. This is what the club is up against

Also it has no tube and is hard to get to unless you live near a through train line

#92 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Theres probably more wigan fans in london than bronco fans. To me Rugby league have failed to grasp that in this country unlike some others it history and traditions that make our sports. In the modern world of tv and transport plenty of londoners follow northern teams I know plenty of people from london who go to the challenge cup final and super league final as well as a couple trips north each year to see there teams. Northern teams should set up london supports groups . My plan as every one knows would be to have a ten team super league of wigan , saints, warrington , widnes, leeds, bradford, huddersfield, hull fc, hull kr and wakefield. Then have a championship of ten other teams. The ten super league would be used to market the game nationally as part of license each team would have to have a london development officer and ambassador . Each team could set up a london academy side or open age team on an ametur basis. So we could have a ten team london summer league with gand final . The super league club could visit hold training and coaching sessions as well as inviting there london club to visit them ect .We could also look at doing some thing similar in south wales.
Chief Crazy Eagle

#93 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

What a day out that was!

We set off at 9am and after about 4 hours arrived in Richmond for a good 3 hours drinking.

On approach to the ground we passed the car park and there were at least 5 coaches from Rovers so I reckon we took a good 300 or so.

The group in the corner with the flags, banners and shining red and white paper was my friends and I.

I have no idea why but we just decided to set up camp there, cause some noise and of course get on TV. the HKR AWAY DAYS insignia can be seen on Sky. B)

At half time we then decided to up sticks and move to the centre of the stand with all the other Rovers fans; I guess by that point we were all very merry!

I thought we were excellent in patches but lacked concentration on others, which led to some strange error that gifted London and try or two. We are probably the best attacking team in the league at the minute but we still have things to improve on defensively.

Overall, a enjoyable day out and great hosts, so thanks very much to London for having us - sorry about the mess haha!

#94 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

I am with you superten. There is no attachment to a general London concept in any sport. The sad thing is we are trying to do something which is doomed to failure but which is by no means the best way to achieve our goal of having Londoners watch our game.

#95 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

The points you make are rather spoilt by the fact you cannot articulate them.
1.Please confirm what the first retirement will be?
2.Also in what way are Cas and Hull KR dross? Please explain your criteria and how other teams stack up against said criteria?
3.Why would those be the 2 teams that are removed from the Super League to chase this fantasy that all will be better with only 12 teams?
4. What proof do you have that the RFL have the ability to run a club? Nigel Wood and Ralph Rimmer hardly have the greatest track record at Halifax and Huddersfield.
5. No matter the cost, you must work in the public sector or you are Gordon Brown and I claim my £5!

Go on admit it you just got carried away and haven't got a clue? Still your not alone, this is rugby league after all.

#96 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

On Odsal Top baht 'at.