Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Northern Rail Cup - Week 2

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game are you most looking forward to? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game are you most looking forward to?

1. Gateshead Thunder v North Wales Crusaders (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

2. Gloucestershire All Golds v South Wales Scorpions (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. London Skolars v Hemel Stags (10 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Oldham v Rochdale Hornets (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Discuss the games here (all Sun 10 March, KO 3pm)

Gateshead Thunder v North Wales Crusaders
Gloucestershire All Golds v South Wales Scorpions
London Skolars v Hemel Stags
Oldham v Rochdale Hornets

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Voted for Skolars v. Stags because it is the one I'm going to!

#3 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

I think there will be wins for Hornets, Crusaders, probably the Scorps (but they had a poor first game and so may lack a bit of confidence against the All Golds) and I would assume Skolars too but Stags are an unknown quantity so they (the Skolars) will not need to take anything for granted.

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

It will make a change for Skolars being one of "the big boys". Surely they will beat Stags by a fair margin. It could be the start of a derby rivalry.

Edited by Northern Sol, 06 March 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#5 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

PREVIEWS

Sunday March 10

Gateshead Thunder v North Wales Crusaders (3.00pm)

Gateshead Thunder coach Kevin Neighbour has warned his side they need to show massive improvement if they are to challenge North Wales Crusaders on Sunday.
Thunder lost 58-16 at Rochdale in last week’s opening Northern Rail Cup fixture.
Neighbour said: “We got exactly what we deserved. I’m not going to sugarcoat it or dress it up – they were better than us in every department.”
Crusaders coach Clive Griffiths insists his side will not get carried away, despite registering a 48-12 win over Oldham last week.
Griffiths said: “I’m very pleased, but we’ve got to keep our feet on the ground. Oldham had lots of ball and it was only resolute defence that kept them out.”
He added: “Gateshead this year are not Gateshead of last year. They’re packed with new players and they’ll be smarting from last year’s defeats.
“We anticipate a really tough game at Craven Park, but we’re going there with momentum and confidence and we know we can score tries from any area of the field, and that’s what other teams will have to combat. We can ask questions from anywhere.
“We’re not the finished article by any means – we’re only just over a year old – but the pre-season we’ve had has been fantastic and we were very clinical against Oldham.”
Lewys Weaver might miss Sunday’s game due to a hamstring picked up in training.

Gloucestershire All Golds v South Wales Scorpions (3.00pm)

Gloucestershire All Golds coach Brad Hepi will be without Jamie Crowther (broken hand) for four weeks following last week’s bruising introduction to the semi-professional ranks.
Hepi is hoping his squad can adapt to the challenges posed at this level ahead of Sunday’s Northern Rail Cup fixture with South Wales Scorpions.
Hepi said: “The guys have now had a taste of what it’s all about.
“Where they could get away with things in student rugby, this is a whole new ball game in terms of the quality of the players you’re up against.”
Scorpions coach Dave Clark has challenged his side to bounce back from last week’s 54-12 defeat by London Skolars.
Clark said: “That performance was unacceptable at all levels.
“The players know they need to put things right this week, and they’ll be extra determined to do just that.”
Haydn Peacock is set to miss the rest of the Northern Rail Cup campaign with an ankle injury.
Clark is set to give Nigerian-born prop Samir Tahraoui an opportunity to impress.

London Skolars v Hemel Stags (3.00pm)

London Skolars coach Joe Mbu has warned his squad not to underestimate Hemel Stags ahead of Sunday’s Northern Rail Cup fixture.
The Stags made a winning start to life in the semi-professional ranks, beating Gloucestershire All Golds 36-18 last week.
Mbu said: “They’ll be a decent outfit, they’ve got some London Broncos players, and I don’t think anyone should take them lightly.”
He added: “I was encouraged by our performance last week. We showed a lot of maturity and control.
“We could have easily started trying to overplay, but we stayed disciplined and executed things well. Hopefully it’s a sign of good things to come.”
Hemel stand-off Chris Stevenson faces a fitness test on a knee problem before Troy Perkins names his Stags squad.
However, James Howitt will definitely be unavailable for the next three weeks due to personal reasons.
Perkins said: “We’re under no illusions this week will give us a tougher test than last week. We’re playing against blokes with Super League experience, and others who’ve been in this league for a long time.
“Where we dominated physically last week, it might be more difficult for us on Sunday. We’ll have to aim up in the forwards if we’re to have a chance of winning the game.”

Oldham v Rochdale Hornets (3.00pm)

Oldham coach Scott Naylor will pick from full strength for Sunday’s mouthwatering Northern Rail Cup derby with Rochdale Hornets.
Naylor’s squad will be trying to recover from their 48-12 defeat against North Wales Crusaders last week, but Naylor insisted: “The score didn’t reflect the game. It made it look a lot worse than it was.
“We need to work on certain things and make sure we don’t switch off for 10 or 15 minute periods this week.”
Hornets coach Ian Talbot is also reporting a clean bill of health after last week’s 58-16 win over Gateshead Thunder.
Talbot said: “Oldham will have improved since we played them a few weeks ago. I expect them to be a much tougher proposition, especially at their home ground.
“It’s going to be as much about how we deal with the conditions as how we deal with the opposition.”

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#6 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Good away wins for the welsh clubs, and home wins for Oldham and skolars. How many in the play offs and is there promotion this year?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#7 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

This is the Northern Rail Cup: top club from each group through to knock out rounds with Championship clubs. Will also go throught to bowl final on cup final day. Presently Skolars and Crusaders in pole position

#8 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Good away wins for the welsh clubs, and home wins for Oldham and skolars. How many in the play offs and is there promotion this year?

In this competition, the NRC Cup, the top team in each group join the 14 Championship clubs in the next round.

In Championship One, the champions get promoted plus the winners of the play-offs (which, according to the wikipedia article, involve 6 clubs).
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#9 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

This is the Northern Rail Cup: top club from each group through to knock out rounds with Championship clubs. Will also go throught to bowl final on cup final day. Presently Skolars and Crusaders in pole position

yeah I knew that but I'm looking at it as a guide to form for the season. I reckon Oldham, cru and the skolars are looking as the best bet. I'm sticking a cheeky fiver on the cru I think!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#10 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

yeah I knew that but I'm looking at it as a guide to form for the season. I reckon Oldham, cru and the skolars are looking as the best bet. I'm sticking a cheeky fiver on the cru I think!

Crusaders definitely seem the team to beat for mine followed by Oldham and Rochdale. Skolars should be best of the rest but not sure whether they can consistently perform away from home. Based on what I saw today the Skolars pitch is a complete pudding and if anything worse than last year. It won't help their points difference as scores will be kept down while it is like running through treacle (and if the referees are as lenient on holding down as Mr Bloem was today).

#11 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

just out of curiosity, why aren't oxford playing in this years NRC?

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Relatively good attendance at Skolars (350), more derby games needed.

Very poor at Gloucedstershire 113 or thereabouts.

#13 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Relatively good attendance at Skolars (350), more derby games needed.

I was one of them, got to give them time and see what the attendances average out at the end of the season, it was a bitter cold day and mothers day which won't have helped
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#14 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

what were you expecting?? 500+?

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

what were you expecting?? 500+?

Poor was what I was expecting. I don't think students pay to watch sport and I don't think many "townies" will go and watch a university side (even if technically most of the players aren't students).

#16 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

The game also clashed with an England RU game which would have taken all the casuals out of the equation. They had no chance of a decent crowd today. There were 20 plus from South Wales there too.
About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

The game also clashed with an England RU game which would have taken all the casuals out of the equation. They had no chance of a decent crowd today. There were 20 plus from South Wales there too.

Skolars got 350. Oldham vs Rochdale got 518.

I daresay all sides will get more than they did today later in the season but I think the All-Golds will struggle.

#18 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

just out of curiosity, why aren't oxford playing in this years NRC?

I think they just took the decision to sit the competition out, concentrating instead on the start of the league season proper. Probably helped the RFL out of a hole, fixture-wise.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#19 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

Skolars got 350. Oldham vs Rochdale got 518.

I daresay all sides will get more than they did today later in the season but I think the All-Golds will struggle.

After speaking to Lionel Hurst today before and after the game , i'm sure they won't ,give them a chance as they are only 2 games into the season and lessons been learnt as a new club and lets see what happens as the season unfolds. i certainly never envisaged when i moved down here in 97 that there would be a semi professional club within 40 mins drive of where i live.
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#20 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

Why, what is he planning to do? Unless they change their
recruitment policy they will probably gain zero points this season. However, thet have to start somewhere and a young squad will improve over the years. Do people in the area even know semi pro rugby is being played in the town. I live in Bristol and teach is Gloucestershire and have seen very little coverage since the formation of the team was announced. Not having a go, just makibg genuine observation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users