Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Northern Rail Cup - Week 2

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game are you most looking forward to? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game are you most looking forward to?

1. Gateshead Thunder v North Wales Crusaders (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

2. Gloucestershire All Golds v South Wales Scorpions (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. London Skolars v Hemel Stags (10 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Oldham v Rochdale Hornets (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 RichardJ

RichardJ
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Where can I find the actual results of these matches??

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ip-cup/fixtures

#23 RichardJ

RichardJ
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Cheers, much appreciated!

#24 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Poor performance from the All Golds yesterday - afterwards Brad Hepi accused his players of playing "for 30 per cent of the time". They dropped far too much ball and were 22-0 down after half an hour, so they did well to rally in the final 20. In the previous game against Hemel they played well for about 20 minutes, too - if they're going to be competitive. they need to cut out the errors and sort out their defensive fragilities. The signs aren't good, but they will improve, I'm sure of it. Maybe not enough to challenge the top teams in the division, but enough to win a few games.

They could really do with a few experienced players, maybe a half to control the game a bit more, a hooker and one or two bigger forwards - they look quite 'small' and sometimes struggle to make yards. They also seem to want to push passes and offloads that aren't on.

The Scorpions did OK yesterday. Good halves and some decent backs - they ripped the All Golds apart round the ruck and out wide. They also used offloads well. Had they not conceded loads of penalties in the last 15-20 minutes, they could have got another 18-24 points I reckon.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#25 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Hornets were horrible at Oldham.
Brave souls - and Oldhamers inclined to schadenfreude - can see my blog's review at http://theseladscanr...blogspot.co.uk/

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#26 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Hemel may have lost but that's an encouraging result aqainst a team that have beaten some of the clubs now in the Championship.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#27 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Hemel may have lost but that's an encouraging result aqainst a team that have beaten some of the clubs now in the Championship.

Agreed, a better result than their friendly against Gateshead. Respectable.

Edited by Northern Sol, 11 March 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#28 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

Possibly. The pitch was a real gluepot yesterday and the ref had a far more leniant interpretation of holding down than the bloke who did the Gateshead friendly. Hemel were pretty unimaginative going forward and didn't seem to possess a quality kicking game. Having said that it was a gutsy performance from them and they defended well from beginning to end. The floodgates could have opened when they were 26-0 ndown after 60 minutes, but they didn't concede again after that point.

#29 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Skolars got 350. Oldham vs Rochdale got 518.

I daresay all sides will get more than they did today later in the season but I think the All-Golds will struggle.

Skolars are established and Oldham v Rochdale crowd was poor for them, not that many people around Oldham and Rochdale would care too much about England RU. In Cheltenham, they're all RU mad and this was a new club. That was the perspective. I don't think they'll get a gate that low again this season, more like the one the week before.
About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#30 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Skolars are established and Oldham v Rochdale crowd was poor for them, not that many people around Oldham and Rochdale would care too much about England RU. In Cheltenham, they're all RU mad and this was a new club. That was the perspective. I don't think they'll get a gate that low again this season, more like the one the week before.

The gate that was made up? They'll be counting the players, caterers and support staff next, but it's been done before.

256 according to the web at Glos vs Hemel.

Yes, though given it was yours truly entering the data, after a conversation with the other journalist in attendance, I wouldn't say it was 100 per cent accurate.

Decent game, though - entertaining, some good tries, a bit of biff, a chance to see a couple of ex Sonics playing for the All Golds etc. Hemel worthy winners - they were notably better in the forwards. The All Golds look a bit small.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#31 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

why was the gate at All Golds v Stags made up? I was there and 200+ was what it looked like and 200+ was what it was. Several got in for free by just wandering in so if anything it was 'made up' beneath what it was in actuality.
As for the Skolars crowd..........wasnt it 521??? Where's this 300 odd figure taken from?

#32 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

I see that's from the BBC - either planted there by an RFU or Heartlander "Expansion will never work,let's give up" mole. The official attendance as given by both the Skolars and League Express was 521. Oldham & Rochdale....hang your heads in shame!

#33 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Quite, and, if anything, i'd be more worried about future of Oldham and Rochdale based upon yesterday's crowds. I'm under the impression that Gloucestershire are a low-cost outfit based largely on their student team, and if the guy who is behind it is confident that they'll thrive then hopefully they'll be okay.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#34 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

After speaking to Lionel Hurst today before and after the game , i'm sure they won't ,give them a chance as they are only 2 games into the season and lessons been learnt as a new club and lets see what happens as the season unfolds. i certainly never envisaged when i moved down here in 97 that there would be a semi professional club within 40 mins drive of where i live.

Without giving away anything said in confidence, can you indicate what makes you confident about their life in the division?

Sincerely hope that they do okay as I think it is an innovative approach to creating a club in an expansion area.

Edited by Methven Hornet, 11 March 2013 - 05:27 PM.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#35 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

something has to be done about Oldham's ground. I know it was all they could cobble together but in my one and only visit I was somewhat dismayed! I'm sure lots of Oldham folk have been talked into going back to see their local club after several years absence, taken one look at it and thought "jeeeeeeesus H Christ, so it's come to this" and never returned. I'm sure more than a few Hornets fans who've already been there gave their local derby the swerve on the strength of it. A real pity, here's hoping the ground either miraculously gets up to scratch or they're miraculously given somewhere better to play within the town.

#36 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

RBS you are correct. That's why we get more Oldham fans going to an away derby with Rochdale than we get for the home leg.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot, 11 March 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#37 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

I see that's from the BBC - either planted there by an RFU or Heartlander "Expansion will never work,let's give up" mole. The official attendance as given by both the Skolars and League Express was 521. Oldham & Rochdale....hang your heads in shame!

Indeed (if as seems likely) 521 is accurate then Oldham and Rochdale clubs ought to be ashamed. Excellent from London & Hemel.

#38 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

something has to be done about Oldham's ground. I know it was all they could cobble together but in my one and only visit I was somewhat dismayed! I'm sure lots of Oldham folk have been talked into going back to see their local club after several years absence, taken one look at it and thought "jeeeeeeesus H Christ, so it's come to this" and never returned. I'm sure more than a few Hornets fans who've already been there gave their local derby the swerve on the strength of it. A real pity, here's hoping the ground either miraculously gets up to scratch or they're miraculously given somewhere better to play within the town.

As a small sample: three out of my usual away regulars carful of five said they weren't going to Whitebank because they 'weren't paying eleven quid to go and stand in a sh*thole like that where you can't see anything" (unquote one of them), another away regular also ducked because 'You can't see all of the game', two of our most loyal home and awayers said 'We're not going because we object to paying good money to go and stand in a bl**dy field'. Julie's hubby John ducked at the death because 'it's bl**dy freezing and there's no cover". Another mate ducked because "One visit a season to that tip is enough for anyone - so I'll go at Easter when it's stopped snowing".

I went. I concur with all of my friends. It's the second worst Rugby League viewing experience on the planet (trumped only by the horizontal rain and swampy conditions of Bury Broncos' pitch - which is a school field).

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!

#39 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Indeed (if as seems likely) 521 is accurate then Oldham and Rochdale clubs ought to be ashamed. Excellent from London & Hemel.

Still more than Hunslet v Whitehaven and York v Workington in the division above.

Edited by Hornetto, 11 March 2013 - 06:22 PM.

Posted Image

#40 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Quite, and, if anything, i'd be more worried about future of Oldham and Rochdale based upon yesterday's crowds. I'm under the impression that Gloucestershire are a low-cost outfit based largely on their student team, and if the guy who is behind it is confident that they'll thrive then hopefully they'll be okay.

This is real life at this level MH. 500+ will be the benchmark this year.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users