Photo
- - - - -

NRL - Round 1

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game are you most interested in? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game are you most interested in?

1. Sydney Roosters v South Sydney Rabbitohs (10 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Brisbane Broncos v Manly Sea Eagles (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Parramatta Eels v New Zealand Warriors (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. Canterbury Bulldogs v North Queensland Cowboys (1 votes [6.67%])

5. Penrith Panthers v Canberra Raiders (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Melbourne Storm v St George Illawarra Dragons (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

7. Cronulla Sharks v Gold Coast Titans (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Newcastle Knights v Wests Tigers (1 votes [6.67%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Broncos very disappointing will be looking at mid table if lucky same as Manly, this was a definate first round game and compares badly to last nights game!
If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

#42 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

I missed this game but remember last year seeing Jamie Lyon utterly bamboozle Jack Reed - did the latter show up better this time around? For many posters on this forum, it seems that Reed is a popular choice for an England World Cup starting position and yet I see only a solid, hard-working player making the most of a limited natural ability. This is good in and of itself - but I think McNamara is need of greater fire power than Reed is capable of providing.

#43 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Reed looked very average and his best couple of years may be in the past.
He can finish a movement but can do very little to make things happen on his own or set the play.

The Broncos in general look like a spent force in recent times, its not just because of Lockyer, they do not have the strike power in the backs to threaten teams,
For a one team Big City that is Rugby League mad they need to sort themselves out in a hurry.

Edited by AndyCapp, 08 March 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#44 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Think Reeds problem is that he came from totally nowhere to first team rugby and was excellent in his first season bursting tackles and creating some excellent tries for his winger with offloads out of e tackle. It was always going to be a lot to then live up to, if he has another mediocre season I can see him potentially getting picked up by a SL side in the next couple of years.

Watched the Burgess boys as well and agree with most George didn't look at all out of place excellent meters, defence and a couple of nice touches but Sam was head and shoulders above any other forward on the pitch, the lad is just a freak in the best possible sense unbelievable work rate for someone of his size. Can't wait to see all of them on the pitch at the same time but may be a while with Luke's injury.

#45 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,021 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

What a great game last night the NRL just makes SL look like a pile of tosh (Sorry to say this) presentation light years ahead of what we see in the UK.

CM

Yep - disappointing to have to say it but you're bang on. Little things like the commentators not bleating about ref mistakes for 20 minutes helps!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#46 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Why is there the constant need to compare the NRL to Super League. They are on totally a different league and it should be expected when you consider their different sizes. Put it this way 31,000 at Brisbane tonight was apparently a shocking crowd for a round 1 game. It would be a Super League record. Is it any surprise that they offer a higher quality product all round? We do well to make the top 10 of Sky Sports 1 with around 200,000 watching whereas they can get up to 2m watching and make the top 10 of Australian TV full stop. Is it any surprise that their presentation is better?

I prefer SL but admit that this is largely down to the slightly lower standard creating more open play and the familiarity of having been brought up on it. I enjoy the NRL especially as it offers hope for the sport of RL. The profile of their league means that young British lads are likely to be increasingly tempted by going there instead of RU over here.

#47 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,897 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yep - disappointing to have to say it but you're bang on. Little things like the commentators not bleating about ref mistakes for 20 minutes helps!

It'd be interesting to compare the enjoyment level of the two competitions if we swapped commentary teams.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#48 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Aye - let's just enjoy what we have.

Personally I get a bit bored with some of the in-game presentation in Australia - I think they are pretty rubbish with replays and they do get into petty arguments like ours do.

Their pre-game stuff always impresses me though, although ours is getting better.

#49 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

It'd be interesting to compare the enjoyment level of the two competitions if we swapped commentary teams.

As soon as any commentator said anything they disagreed with there'd be the usual calls for them to be replaced.

The Aussies can be just as boring, repetitive, pedantic and argumentative as ours.

I still often see criticism of Dave Woods and co when they have a game on the BBC.

#50 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Think Reeds problem is that he came from totally nowhere to first team rugby and was excellent in his first season bursting tackles and creating some excellent tries for his winger with offloads out of e tackle. It was always going to be a lot to then live up to, if he has another mediocre season I can see him potentially getting picked up by a SL side in the next couple of years.

Don't they call it 'second season syndrome'? Although on tonights performance, it could stretch into the third season as well. Although to be fair, very few of the Brisbane side covered themselves in glory today, particularly that second half. Your comment about getting picked up by a SL club is a bit unfair, and he might not want to leave Australia anyway.

#51 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Aye - let's just enjoy what we have.

Personally I get a bit bored with some of the in-game presentation in Australia - I think they are pretty rubbish with replays and they do get into petty arguments like ours do.

Their pre-game stuff always impresses me though, although ours is getting better.

They can be a bit shy of showing replays, but I always feel Sky here go a bit overboard with the replays at times. The spider cam stuff gave an interesting view in todays match. They just need to find the best times in the game to show that angle.

As for the commentators, well you can read just as much criticism of the Channel 9 and Fox guys from Aussies as you do about Eddie & Stevo in this country. It's the same as all the people who always ask for The Footy Show to be screened here. In Australia the viewing figures have been going down for years, and it gets roundly criticised every week as being garbage.

#52 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

That's a good point. The main Aussie commentary team is superb. There's a big difference watching games with Warren,sterling and Gould not to mention Johns and Fittler. Than the next best team the Aussie have never mind Eddie and Stevo.

#53 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

One other thing from the Roosters v Rabbits game, the 'I wonder what Sonny Bill is thinking right now' bits were downright cringeworthy. I've got no truck with the guy coming back to the game, good luck to him, but the build up they gave him was a bit over the top for a bloke that's not played the game in 5 years.

#54 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

One other thing from the Roosters v Rabbits game, the 'I wonder what Sonny Bill is thinking right now' bits were downright cringeworthy. I've got no truck with the guy coming back to the game, good luck to him, but the build up they gave him was a bit over the top for a bloke that's not played the game in 5 years.

Agreed. Didnt like the interview clips mid game, just thought it was a bit weird!

Also agree about the Spider Cam, think it does add an extra dimension to the coverage but they will take time to work out how and when to use it. They made me dizzy with a couple of early scrums but quickly worked out that it didnt work and as soon as the ball came out the scrum they cut to a standard camera. Think it will improve as the season goes on.

Glad to have the NRL back, should be a good season!

#55 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

My views on Reed centre more on his natural ability rather than his form - and I suspect that whatever his form McNamara has made his mind up to select him any way - in the same way that players have been selected for the current squad who've barely played at all...

He's not a creative centre in the mould of Lyon or Gidley or even somebody like Wigan's under-rated Goulding... and - one feted individual try aside (the year before last) in which he shrugged aside tackle after tackle - he doesn't excite me as a runner when in possession of the ball. He looks lethargic rather than lively and quick and lacks either Watkins' combination of agile footwork and speed or the rejected Atkins' force and directness. When I first saw him play, I said on here that he looked more like a hard-working second rower than a thoroughbred centre - and I stick with that. As a defensive centre he offers no more than Michael Shenton - a proven international player whom I hope has not been permanently discarded.

To win the World Cup, England will need more than a team of willing triers capable only of playing a conservative brand of football...

#56 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Agreed. Didnt like the interview clips mid game, just thought it was a bit weird!

Also agree about the Spider Cam, think it does add an extra dimension to the coverage but they will take time to work out how and when to use it. They made me dizzy with a couple of early scrums but quickly worked out that it didnt work and as soon as the ball came out the scrum they cut to a standard camera. Think it will improve as the season goes on.

Glad to have the NRL back, should be a good season!

Yeah, I think the Spider Cam worked a lot better in todays game at Brisbane. In the Easts v Souths game they seemed to focus soley on the scrums, and on a couple of occasions early on lost the play when the ball came out, which is why they started to cut away quicker to the side shot. Today they followed a few actual sets which gave a different perspective and it did work a lot better. It'll probably be more helpful in after match analysis to show actual lines of attack etc. It would be perfect for Phil Clarke and his stats show.

#57 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, I think the Spider Cam worked a lot better in todays game at Brisbane. In the Easts v Souths game they seemed to focus soley on the scrums, and on a couple of occasions early on lost the play when the ball came out, which is why they started to cut away quicker to the side shot. Today they followed a few actual sets which gave a different perspective and it did work a lot better. It'll probably be more helpful in after match analysis to show actual lines of attack etc. It would be perfect for Phil Clarke and his stats show.

Not seen todays game yet so dont know how it was used, but it was good to see them learn as the Souths/Roosters game went on, I was a bit concerned they were going to over use it to begin with but they adjusted as they went on. Will be a good addition once they fine tune when they use it!

#58 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Not the best game but still some quality on show. The second Broncos try was a great try. I doubt I will watch any SL as if I am going to watch a couple of games would rather watch the better standards in the NRL. Also the commentators are much better than the Sky duo! Broncos need a major overhaul of not just players but coaching staff etc. Attack wise they are poor and defence is not much better. Hodges blows hot and cold as does Wallace and Prince. I will be surprised if they even make the top 8. Manly will be in the 8. Foran and Cherry Evans look good. Lyon, Matai and Stewart will score tries. I doubt they will be strong enough to beat Melbourne or the Roosters though when it matters

#59 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

just watching the second half of the Rabbits v Roosters game.. George Burgess is had a hell of a game.. If he can carry on improving, and Tom can get up there too, the future England front row is potentially going to be a handful!!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#60 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

beat me to it, I thought it was embarrassingly bad. Good game though, but I thought it followed the trend of the nrl and was as formulaic as expected, rl by numbers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users