TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

NRL - Round 1

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game are you most interested in? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game are you most interested in?

1. Sydney Roosters v South Sydney Rabbitohs (10 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Brisbane Broncos v Manly Sea Eagles (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Parramatta Eels v New Zealand Warriors (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. Canterbury Bulldogs v North Queensland Cowboys (1 votes [6.67%])

5. Penrith Panthers v Canberra Raiders (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Melbourne Storm v St George Illawarra Dragons (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

7. Cronulla Sharks v Gold Coast Titans (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Newcastle Knights v Wests Tigers (1 votes [6.67%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

You misunderstand me. I am interested only in fairness. To constantly have our comp run down and the NRL portrayed as a god like competition is wearing. Of course I hope the game thrives, but the constant one eyes nature of its extreme apologists could do with a reality check. :)

#82 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

You misunderstand me. I am interested only in fairness. To constantly have our comp run down and the NRL portrayed as a god like competition is wearing. Of course I hope the game thrives, but the constant one eyes nature of its extreme apologists could do with a reality check. :)

sorry but that's cack. Saying the nrl is consistently a better comp, that defences in sl are weak is an opinion expressed by many people and it is a valid one. What is wearing is people exaggerating what is being said and then using daft language like "apologists"!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#83 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

The NRL matches are like the players themselves, there are a few which are head and shoulders above everything else, but there are also SL games which match any NRL game, however most are about the same as a good SL game, it's just there are more frequent.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#84 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

The NRL matches are like the players themselves, there are a few which are head and shoulders above everything else, but there are also SL games which match any NRL game, however most are about the same as a good SL game, it's just there are more frequent.

The Doggies game this morning was just like an average SL game. The 1st 2 games of the weekend were very good though and better than what we have seen in SL this year.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#85 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

The Doggies game this morning was just like an average SL game. The 1st 2 games of the weekend were very good though and better than what we have seen in SL this year.

I saw the first Freeview game, (Brisbane v Manly) or started to, without knowing the result, and to be honest I drifted off to other things. I wasn't pretending, there was no-one else watching at that time, so it's not as if I left it to be against the grain, it just did nowt for me. I think it's because it's "over there" and little to relate to meant it didn't keep hold of me like I do with even the most mediocre Super League game. I absorb myself in Super League, I know some won't get that, but some might.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#86 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

I saw the first Freeview game, (Brisbane v Manly) or started to, without knowing the result, and to be honest I drifted off to other things. I wasn't pretending, there was no-one else watching at that time, so it's not as if I left it to be against the grain, it just did nowt for me. I think it's because it's "over there" and little to relate to meant it didn't keep hold of me like I do with even the most mediocre Super League game. I absorb myself in Super League, I know some won't get that, but some might.

I get that totally. Plus the Aussie game isnt as erratic as ours, but thats because the defences dont allow it. If you dont have a vested interest I can see how some might find it duller. I have watched the Aussie game every week for well over 10 years now so I like the style and wish our teams would adopt the way they play sometimes. Both leagues have their pro's. In the NRL you dont see many soft tries though. You get them, but not to the extent you see on SL Full time over here.

#87 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

Storm were good value for ther win this afternoon against a good St Georges side who tested them but never quite got to the same level as them, Apart from class Storm have had the benefit of playing a full on match a couple of weeks ago and that helped their tempo!
If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

#88 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Maggie, for a fiver a month I can't pass up on that one!

just seen this, you're welcome - does anyone know if it's still valid? I got it from facebook, and I've no idea how long it is valid for, but glad I saw it

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#89 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Storm look very strong again. Each year they lose a few replaced by no names or has beens and are still as strong as before. Slater was class again especially beating 5 defenders for his try and setting up the last. Cronk controls the game as much as Smith. 4 man of the matches in a row now for Cronk- that just helps to show how important he is. St.George I think will struggle. They just dont have the qualitry in the squad or coaching to trouble the top teams

#90 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Slater was class again especially beating 5 defenders for his try and setting up the last.

I saw the first try by Slater, I assume this is what you refer, I thought it was just very poor defence.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#91 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Bit of both. Many players would just run in hard and get tackled. Slater is one of those that looks for that extra effort to get him away from tacklers or the ball away. Sometimes it does look like poor defence and to a certain extent it is. But you still need the composure, vision and athletic ability to do it. Slater ducked under one tackle then put a spin on and his speed did the rest. Plus playing in plus 35 C is to a certain extent going to make the defence struggle more than normal

#92 TOWN TILL I DIE

TOWN TILL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 550 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thought both burgess brothers on thursday were immense and then today Chris Heighington

so for world cup

Graham
Burgess
Burgess
Reid
Heighington
Widdop

take note Steve Mc

#93 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Thought both burgess brothers on thursday were immense and then today Chris Heighington

so for world cup

Graham
Burgess
Burgess
Reid
Heighington
Widdop

take note Steve Mc

I know he's got a lot of work to do because it's a position we are strong in but Scott Moore played well for NQ the other day to.

#94 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

I know he's got a lot of work to do because it's a position we are strong in but Scott Moore played well for NQ the other day to.

I thought he played like he had restrictions on him. I've seen him better. He definitely didn't stand out.

#95 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,877 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

:D The Judas Weasel receives a warm welcome back. :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#96 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

I saw the first try by Slater, I assume this is what you refer, I thought it was just very poor defence.

In Rugby League every try (especially those from an individual run) could be put down to poor defence if you took it far enough. Somebody has to read it incorrectly; not wrap the ball up properly or miss a tackle to create a gap.

It depends where you draw the line. The quality of opposition has a lot to do with it in my opinion, it wouldn't be that impressive for Slater to waltz through the Hemel Hempstead defence but to do that against NRL opposition, it's pretty special.

#97 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

In Rugby League every try (especially those from an individual run) could be put down to poor defence if you took it far enough. Somebody has to read it incorrectly; not wrap the ball up properly or miss a tackle to create a gap.

It depends where you draw the line. The quality of opposition has a lot to do with it in my opinion, it wouldn't be that impressive for Slater to waltz through the Hemel Hempstead defence but to do that against NRL opposition, it's pretty special.

Oh I agree, one man's great run is another man's poor defence. (usually when I see the lesser spotted union try!)

I dunno if it was identical, but it put me in mind of Tomkins against Hull KR in 2012.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#98 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Is premier s
ports on free view?

Edited by Brisvegan, 11 March 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#99 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Is premier s
ports on free view?

I think certain games and replayed games go out on free view.

#100 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Is premier s
ports on free view?

Freeview the telly system? I'll have a nosey. When I referred to Freeview it's the odd occasion where Premier Sport isn't reliant on subscription, free to view.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users