Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Nigel Wood- London must improve

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
341 replies to this topic

#221 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,199 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

exactly

Rugby League was the second best(and an extremely poor second best) by default.

Doesn't alter the fact that they've grown support for their club game in winter and we've abandoned winter. The question is why did we do it? Nobody I know was consulted. It was a fait acompli.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#222 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Doesn't alter the fact that they've grown support for their club game in winter and we've abandoned winter. The question is why did we do it? Nobody I know was consulted. It was a fait acompli.

2 + 2 = 5.

Why would they necessarily consult people? Do you think it is an unpopular decision now?

#223 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,078 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

We've grown support for our club game in summer. What's the issue?

#224 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,451 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

2 + 2 = 5.

Why would they necessarily consult people? Do you think it is an unpopular decision now?

the clubs were consulted, but yes you are right. The governing body exists to govern.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#225 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

what ever happen to the london colonials team I always thought it was such a great name for a team in london
Chief Crazy Eagle

#226 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,242 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

We've grown support for our club game in summer. What's the issue?

Mud. The issue is the need for mud and Bovril.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#227 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

I think the problem is that starting in feb and ending in nov with internationals its not really a summer sport. The season needs to be shortened
Chief Crazy Eagle

#228 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,199 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

the clubs were consulted, but yes you are right. The governing body exists to govern.

Surely the governing body should take account of what the customers want. Any business that doesn't do that is on the road to ruin. Perhaps such attitudes explain a lot. There were occasional rumours of summer rugby from the early sixties - but it never happened. Suddenly in March 1995 we were having summer rugby. No studies, no polls, no focus groups, nothing. Just like it or lump it. Many people I speak to don't like it. I personally am ambivalent. But TBH I can't see the advantages. The disadvantages are clear - the end ot the tour party. The first live game of RL I saw live was the famous Boxing Day derby between Leeds and Wakey - 14000 people there. But then the following few years the games were abondoned because of frozen ptiches. As I say I'm ambivalent but I think there should have been some consultation - there wasn't.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#229 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,451 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

Mud. The issue is the need for mud and Bovril.

and grittiness
never forget grittiness
Keeping it local

#230 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Surely the governing body should take account of what the customers want. Any business that doesn't do that is on the road to ruin. Perhaps such attitudes explain a lot. There were occasional rumours of summer rugby from the early sixties - but it never happened. Suddenly in March 1995 we were having summer rugby. No studies, no polls, no focus groups, nothing. Just like it or lump it. Many people I speak to don't like it. I personally am ambivalent. But TBH I can't see the advantages. The disadvantages are clear - the end ot the tour party. The first live game of RL I saw live was the famous Boxing Day derby between Leeds and Wakey - 14000 people there. But then the following few years the games were abondoned because of frozen ptiches. As I say I'm ambivalent but I think there should have been some consultation - there wasn't.

If you can't see the advantages then you are not looking for them. I would say a clear majority are in favour and you very rarely hear a view that wishes us to to go back to playing in winter.

The governing bodies job is not to do what the fans want but to do what is best for the game. There are many walks of life where we aren't consulted because that isn't how life works. Leadership and vision is what is important especially because people are naturally conservative and dislike uncertainty.

i wonder how many fans were consulted when they brought the play the ball in, the 6 tackle rule or reduced the number of players to 13? How many were consulted when they split into 2 divisions and brought in promotion and relegation? I suspect that you are only annoyed because it is something you disagree with, which you clearly do despite claiming to be ambivalent.

#231 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Suddenly in March 1995 we were having summer rugby. No studies, no polls, no focus groups, nothing. Just like it or lump it. Many people I speak to don't like it.

Wasn't it done to accommodate SKY whom pay a lot of money......

#232 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

and grittiness
never forget grittiness

and irony, bucketfuls of irony.

rldfsignature.jpg

#233 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,451 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

and irony, bucketfuls of irony.

corrugated and rusty; goes without saying
Keeping it local

#234 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Wasn't it done to accommodate SKY whom pay a lot of money......

Apparently not - according to Vic Wakeling (sp?), their negociator, the only real condition was a club in London (France wasn't an issue as they wouldn't have the TV rights).

#235 Ranger12

Ranger12
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Apparently not - according to Vic Wakeling (sp?), their negociator, the only real condition was a club in London (France wasn't an issue as they wouldn't have the TV rights).

lol,even the sky presenters openly admit ,it was sky who wanted summer rugby to fill there void in summer scheduling .
Sky pay the bills and dictate all fixtures and scheduling .

#236 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Apparently not - according to Vic Wakeling (sp?), their negociator, the only real condition was a club in London

I'd be interested in this point CoC.....

SKY wanted london to be in Superleague as a condition of the deal???

#237 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

I'd be interested in this point CoC.....

SKY wanted london to be in Superleague as a condition of the deal???

No not as a condition. Wakeling said London were one of Sky's preferred teams but there was no compulsion on the RFL to include them. However, just to clarify, he was clear that London were only of any real value to Sky as a successful club, so it doesnt neccessarily apply to the current situation. He also said he was not in favour of having a French team in and would have preferred a Welsh team instead. It's all there in Phil Caplan's excellent book which remains the best one written about SL.

Edited by Derwent, 22 March 2013 - 07:45 PM.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#238 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

If you can't see the advantages then you are not looking for them. I would say a clear majority are in favour and you very rarely hear a view that wishes us to to go back to playing in winter.

The governing bodies job is not to do what the fans want but to do what is best for the game. There are many walks of life where we aren't consulted because that isn't how life works. Leadership and vision is what is important especially because people are naturally conservative and dislike uncertainty.

i wonder how many fans were consulted when they brought the play the ball in, the 6 tackle rule or reduced the number of players to 13? How many were consulted when they split into 2 divisions and brought in promotion and relegation? I suspect that you are only annoyed because it is something you disagree with, which you clearly do despite claiming to be ambivalent.

I preferred Winter rugby as well. Crowd increases since 1996 have not been that great considering:

1/ the game went fully pro in 1996
2/ most clubs have had new stadia since then

Perhaps crowds would have been much bigger if we'd stayed in winter?

#239 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Isnt this lack of consultation a big problem with RL in a way. Whilst some changes were good ones, others have not been. We should thoroughly trial out big rule changes and study what the effects would be at all levels of the game

#240 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,451 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Isnt this lack of consultation a big problem with RL in a way. Whilst some changes were good ones, others have not been. We should thoroughly trial out big rule changes and study what the effects would be at all levels of the game

how would this consultation work?
Keeping it local