Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Nigel Wood- London must improve

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
341 replies to this topic

#41 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,322 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

I recall watching a Wakefield amateur side play a London amateur side at Belle Vue in the late sixties. So amateur RL was in London long before the advent of Fulham.

Didn't take it long for someone to say the loss of pro-RL in London won't matter because they have always played RL in London and always will :rolleyes:

Nearly five times more professionals come from areas with a Superleague club than those with a Championship club.

London with the Broncos meant growth at lower levels. That's not my opinion, that was RL Worlds research and article.....

Edited by The Parksider, 10 March 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#42 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,246 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Didn't take it long for someone to say the loss of pro-RL in London won't matter because they have always played RL in London and always will :rolleyes:

Nearly five times more professionals come from areas with a Superleague club than those with a Championship club.

I can't imagine why Leeds has more pros than Batley except possibly that Leeds is twenty times bigger (or thereabouts). Talk about misusing statistics.

London with the Broncos meant growth at lower levels. That's not my opinion, that was RL Worlds research and article.....

And how did they measure what the years 1995-2013 would have been like with no Bronquins....?

#43 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Melbourne would be in a similar position to London without any central funding.

Would London be in a similar position to Melbourne with central funding? There appears to be a better stream of kids coming through in London.

#44 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Melbourne would be in a similar position to London without any central funding.

Would London be in a similar position to Melbourne with central funding? There appears to be a better stream of kids coming through in London.

you cant compare english clubs to australia we are too different sporting cultures thats one of the problems the rl doesnt seem to grasp. This countries sports are based on history and traditions any new team in any sport in this country struggles to get a foot hold. Look at mk dons in fooball or leeds ru in union its not just league. What we need to do is build on our history and traditions theres probably more wigan fans in london than bronco fans due to wigans history and success. When I lived in london I knew plenty of people interested in rugby league but all followed northern teams through one reason or another many would go to challenge cup final and some would go up north for odd games.
Chief Crazy Eagle

#45 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

you cant compare english clubs to australia we are too different sporting cultures thats one of the problems the rl doesnt seem to grasp. This countries sports are based on history and traditions any new team in any sport in this country struggles to get a foot hold. Look at mk dons in fooball or leeds ru in union its not just league. What we need to do is build on our history and traditions theres probably more wigan fans in london than bronco fans due to wigans history and success. When I lived in london I knew plenty of people interested in rugby league but all followed northern teams through one reason or another many would go to challenge cup final and some would go up north for odd games.

There is no history and tradition in professional club RU in England, but they appear to be having a good crack at it (albeit with relatively average results currently in the north).

#46 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

There is no history and tradition in professional club RU in England, but they appear to be having a good crack at it (albeit with relatively average results currently in the north).

most of those clubs in premiership have been around 100 years plus so have always had a rugby tradition
Chief Crazy Eagle

#47 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

I'm from the North but man, can I wait for the day when a southern based team, predominantly made up of southern players, sweeps the floor with one of these superhuman true RL teams.

#48 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

1. That's a big reason and the one that is used the most and makes the most sense. London as an SL club with ties to Hemel and Skolars gives a clear pathway for young southern people to take up a career in RL.

2. Ah now that's another question. Abandoning London for Featherstone is fundamentally a terrible move, A retreat to the north will leave our game looking like it's regressing back to being a regional game.

That's perhaps only an Image? But these things can count. SKY's negotiations with RFL/SL seem to be based on get it for as little as you can so TFIL has a point. However the proof of the pudding is in the eating and we shall see.

After London we can get rid of Catalans too, then we can look back at Paris, Gateshead and Wales as well and be really pleased how things have gone since we tried to break out of the north.

Sky's negotiations, thats a laugh, it looks like Sky give rugby league the scraps, have you notice how much Union is on the TV (Saturday Union was on nearly all the day) it's on even if it's Billy Smarts round robin challenge cup, surley someone has to be asking why. Just watched a little of the Sale game (Sunday) what a load of poo and the crowd wasn't exactly massive to suggest Sky giving this sport so much coverage.

Edited by Marauder, 10 March 2013 - 03:31 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#49 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

most of those clubs in premiership have been around 100 years plus so have always had a rugby tradition

Watched by 2 men and a dog in certain cases. Tradition and history doesn't appear to be doing much good for Oldham, Swinton et al.

#50 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,199 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Sky's negotiations, thats a laugh, it looks like Sky give rugby league the scraps, have you notice how much Union is on the TV (Saturday Union was on nearly all the day) it's on even if it's Billy Smarts round robin challenge cup, surley someone has to be asking why. Just watched a little of the Sale game (Sunday) what a load of poo and the crowd wasn't exactly massive to suggest Sky giving this sport so much coverage.

If Sky were so bothered about SL, so enamoured of it they'd feature it on their adverts. Look at their TV adverts, their posters, their vans. None of them feature Super League. It's all soccer, Union and Test Match Cricket. They don't really care about Rugby League, we were fortunate 18 years ago to benefit from a dispute in Australia where the Mudoch organisation do care about RL. They pay us a pittance and use our game as a filler for their schedules.

Edited by Trojan, 10 March 2013 - 05:09 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#51 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,199 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Five years ago when I said the loss of P&R and a potential SL club in an area would depress the recruitment of new players to the game from that area you used the exact opposite of this argument Parky. Face it you'll say anything to promote your prejudices.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#52 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

If Sky were so bothered about SL, so enamored of it they'd feature it on their adverts. Look at their TV adverts, their posters, their vans. None of them feature Super League. It's all soccer, Union and Test Match Cricket. They don't really care about Rugby League, we were fortunate 18 years ago to benefit from a dispute in Australia where the Mudoch organisation do care about RL. They pay us a pittance and use our game as a filler for their schedules.

Absolutely right. Murdoch/Sky wanted RL merely as a filler during the summer before they got their hands on cricket. Now? It's still merely a filler for them.

#53 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,241 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

I must be imagining the Sky adverts that feature rugby league then.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#54 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,241 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Sky use southern hemisphere rugby union to fill their weekend schedules. I doubt they've paid much for the privilege and the viewing figures aren't impressive.

That's pretty much the working definition of filler.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#55 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,322 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Five years ago when I said the loss of P&R and a potential SL club in an area would depress the recruitment of new players to the game from that area you used the exact opposite of this argument Parky. Face it you'll say anything to promote your prejudices.

I watch the game at all levels all over I have no prejudices, I just want to discuss reality.

Your clear prejudice is Rovers for SL, It distorts and colours everything you say.

Your posts continually promote the future of RL as a small mining town.

You dismiss the importance of London to RL, and if they go you'll be dancing on their grave and calling for Les Catalans to go as well.

Your call to consolidate in the heartlands is a very thinly veiled cry for as many SL places to be available as possible so Featherstone can get in.

Your arguments are based on stuff like "this bloke on a railway platform said" the latest was about how nobody in Wales every watched Crusaders anyway.

Wales gone, London may go, yes you'd love your hat trick with Catalans.

Your a one trick pony Trojan. You only care about your club not the game.......

#56 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,322 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Sky's negotiations, thats a laugh, it looks like Sky give rugby league the scraps

They certainly do mighty Marauder. £90,000,000 worth of scraps without which the game would be deep in the mire.

#57 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,322 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Sky don't really care about Rugby League, They pay us a pittance and use our game as a filler for their schedules.

Too true and once you get your way and the game is a one motorway game linking old industrial places oop t'north, they will care even less. Still as you have said you'd be happy to see the game go semi pro, SKY vanquished, and 1973 return.

But you must try to absorb the fact that in the modern world the kids don't want semi pro traditional championship RL. hence all our semi pro clubs have become old men's clubs.

The game will die out as us geriatrics die out. But I don't suppose you will care once you have gone.

Selfish stuff.....

Edited by The Parksider, 10 March 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#58 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,322 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

It's still merely a filler for them.

It's a filler with a cosmopolitan and international flavour, what with Wales, London, Paris and southern France involved.

But as those projects die out it'll become a smaller less important regional filler.

It may become such a small filler that SKY will next time offer us what they offered the Championship.

We'll televise you for nowt and be thankful for the publicity.

#59 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

People here seem to forget that if the Broncos go, there's still the Skolars.

#60 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

People here seem to forget that if the Broncos go, there's still the Skolars.

Except Skolars are quite heavily reliant on players who have been on Broncos' books but have not been quite good enough to play super league. At least 11 that I know of (and I supect there may be more) of the 25 in the first team squad have been on Broncos books and that is without counting the dual reg. If Broncos go there is likely to be a substantial knock on effect on Skolars' competitiveness in due course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users